Front left light malfunction

Cabood lists GT under vehicles so believe thats what it is.

I see what you mean. Yes, bending the entire board at the connector pins is completly unacceptable, and if it doesnt brake right away, itll never hold up.

I'm shocked.

Well as long as Lucid is happy to replace any of these lights, if they have a bent PCB, for the life of the car then I guess it only become an inconvenience for the customer.

Is this a DE or GT vehicle?
GT

Tech told me that DE and GT have exact same part. He actually knows of a DE that was side swiped and totaled. The front end is intact. He’s going to try to scavenge it for the part.

GT

Tech told me that DE and GT have exact same part. He actually knows of a DE that was side swiped and totaled. The front end is intact. He’s going to try to scavenge it for the part.
Yikes, 518 DE and decreasing.

So how many confirmed reports do we have of this issue? I see two in this thread?

Had the mobile tech at my house today because my GT was delivered with the left front turn signal light not functioning. Same issue as above. He discussed with the factory and found out this is a known issue with the vendor who supplied the LED light board. I will attach a picture of the board and assembly. Basically the light board with 32 small LED lights on it has a four pin connector on one end. The board is mounted inside a plastic housing with a hole/port designed so the wire harness can connect to the four pin connector. Unfortunately the port is at a 45 degree angle to the board, but the pins come off straight. So in order to get the pins to line up with the connector plug they must manually BEND the board to the 45 degree angle. It is essentially a circuit board and doesn’t like to be bent. Mine broke during the bending as have others. The mobile tech tried to solder the connector pins back on to the board with four wires today, but after reassembling the entire front end, no luck. There are no available replacement LED circuit boards.

Not sure what the solution will be for this. I suspect after looking at the LED board that many of these will need to be replaced - and probably will end up in a recall situation.

On the bright side, the mobile tech was a very pleasant guy and we had a fun afternoon talking about the engineering (over) of the Lucid. He worked repairing Teslas for 10 year before joining Lucid.

And as a nice parting gift, my frunk will not open now. Tech said while he was putting the bumper back on how much a problem having two front latches for the hood has been. If one is even slightly off the other won’t work.
Lucid is picking my GT today to take to Chicago for repairs on the turn signal. They say they have a replacement part. Probably came off that totaled vehicle :(.

Lucid is picking my GT today to take to Chicago for repairs on the turn signal. They say they have a replacement part. Probably came off that totaled vehicle :(.
I wonder how many GTs have this issue...

Hope you’re not without your car for very long!

Hope you’re not without your car for very long!
Thanks, I've had it for three weeks and haven't been able to drive it, so hopefully will get fixed. The tech told me the DE and GT front ends are exactly the same, same turn signal light board.

Got a left light malfunction warning message today - it went away then came back . Almost like it was a loose wire. I understand it’s not given the comments above. Did others have this intermittent warning and then total failure.

Got a left light malfunction warning message today - it went away then came back . Almost like it was a loose wire. I understand it’s not given the comments above. Did others have this intermittent warning and then total failure.
Intermittent warning and technician fixed it in 15 minutes. Suggest you call it in.

Am I the only one questioning why something like this would not be used (with less pins of course)?
20220611_071852.jpg

A known problem like this should not occur in newer cars. Imagine running the floor and someone tells you there is a problem connecting the harness to a key safety component and you tell them to "bend the board but don't crack it" as the fix. Do you really think the installer is not going to install the light if it cracks but seems to work? Good luck... and welcome to manufacturing Hell. Also, who designs a light that can't be serviced without removing the front half of the car?

The problem with a lot of machinery is that the design engineers live in a paradigm and are never forced to design with replacement/repair in mind. If they made the engineers get up from their desks and air conditioned offices and go down to the service areas and shown how impractical their designs were things might change but I doubt it at this point.

I remember many years ago taking a transmission pan off a F150 pickup and having to use 3 different sized sockets for the three different sized heads on the pan machine screws. What about oil filters mounted horizontally on a engine block where you cannot unscrew them without hot oil dripping all over the place? Now some car engines have vertical filters in canisters on top of the engines which alleviates this problem but many still do not.

A known problem like this should not occur in newer cars. Imagine running the floor and someone tells you there is a problem connecting the harness to a key safety component and you tell them to "bend the board but don't crack it" as the fix. Do you really think the installer is not going to install the light if it cracks but seems to work? Good luck... and welcome to manufacturing Hell. Also, who designs a light that can't be serviced without removing the front half of the car?
Audi, that's who... 2300 for new light assembly. Covered under warranty. They had to remove bumper to replace.

A lot of cars today require the bumper to be removed to replace a headlight. Headlights help secure the bumper in place.

Back