From an EQS to Lucid Air Pure with base DD and SS

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Our Lucid Dream Performance was totaled early this year when a young guy who had just had his first car for three weeks turned left in front of us, and State Farm was the insurer of his car and ours. I found that State Farm will take a hard position on certain things -- sometimes even in contravention of state law -- but then back off if you really press them. You might want push back on the question of the lease payoff, arguing that State Farm's liability to pay off the lease was reduced by the size of your down payment and that they thus ought to give you at least a pro-rated credit for part of that down payment.

Also, you should remember that the person who is at fault in the accident is liable to you for your actual losses. His liability insurance is a contract for his benefit between him and his insurer, not between you and his insurer. If his insurer will not cover all of your reasonable losses, it does not absolve the other driver of responsibility for those losses. Sometimes threatening to go after their insured directly will induce an insurer to get a bit more flexible in their payout calculations.
IF the State Farm insurance covers replacement of your vehicle, then it should cover a comparable lease on a comparable car - same model, options and mileage. My experience with an another insurance, it that you can argue for a better reimbursement. You need to provide comparable pricing and leasing for your replacement car.

My EQS was totaled 3 weeks ago when a distracted driver plowed into me while I was stationary in traffic on the highway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I had only leased it 4 months ago when Mercedes were offering amazing incentives and I made the mistake of using most of the value of my Tesla, which I traded in, to lower my monthly payments. BIG MISTAKE! State Farm will payoff the remainder of my lease but I'm out-of-luck on that big downpayment... and a replacement EQS is now running about $400/month more than it was in April. So, my choices to stay at roughly the same payment were either an EQE sedan or the Pure. My head said Mercedes but my heart said Lucid and my heart won. Hopefully I will get the car in the next few weeks. There is just one thing I'm apprehensive about and it relates to DreamDrive - the Pure's that are currently available all only have the base version without the 360 cameras and the full driver assistance package. Am I going to really miss it? I've tried to convince myself that my old Tesla 3 never had 360 cameras, so I'll manage just fine. Wondering how other Pure owners with basic DD (and SS) feel about it?
Other party admitted fault? State Farm doesn’t get to decide what they want to pay, they need to pay damages that make you whole. (Unless Florida does something weird here) At the minimum it should be replacement value of the vehicle. If the depreciation wipes out your down payment, then you are out of luck, but if not you should have extra cash coming to you.

Other party admitted fault? State Farm doesn’t get to decide what they want to pay, they need to pay damages that make you whole. (Unless Florida does something weird here) At the minimum it should be replacement value of the vehicle. If the depreciation wipes out your down payment, then you are out of luck, but if not you should have extra cash coming to you.

Actually, State Farm only has to pay out according to the terms of the policy, and most policies have terms that can allow the insurer to limit payments below full restitution. An insurance policy is a contract between the insured and the insurer, not between the insurer and a third party. For instance, if a car owner only buys $50,000 of liability insurance and is at fault in a wreck that totals another owner's $100,000 car, the insurer only has to pay $50,000. The insurer's obligation runs to indemnifying the person who bought the policy up to the limits of the policy and to no one else. If the owner of the $100,000 car wants to recover his full damages, he has to collect the difference from the person who was at fault in the accident (or, more typically, by filing a collision claim under his own policy).

In the case of my accident, in which both I and the at-fault driver were insured by State Farm, State Farm refused to reimburse me, even on a pro-rated basis, for the loss of my $10,000 radar/laser detector installation and my $3,000 Opti-Coat ceramic coating, as the policies contained a clause excluding coverage of aftermarket equipment or applications. I would have had a strong case to go after the other driver personally, but the time and litigation costs -- plus the fact that he was a young kid who was not driving aggressively and who was very contrite and completely honest with the police -- induced me to let it slide.

In the online configurator they have a note saying call sales for DDPro. So you may want to do that. I have a pure with DDPro (Premium wasn't an option then) and definitely like it.

Actually, State Farm only has to pay out according to the terms of the policy, and most policies have terms that can allow the insurer to limit payments below full restitution. An insurance policy is a contract between the insured and the insurer, not between the insurer and a third party. For instance, if a car owner only buys $50,000 of liability insurance and is at fault in a wreck that totals another owner's $100,000 car, the insurer only has to pay $50,000. The insurer's obligation runs to indemnifying the person who bought the policy up to the limits of the policy and to no one else. If the owner of the $100,000 car wants to recover his full damages, he has to collect the difference from the person who was at fault in the accident (or, more typically, by filing a collision claim under his own policy).

In the case of my accident, in which both I and the at-fault driver were insured by State Farm, State Farm refused to reimburse me, even on a pro-rated basis, for the loss of my $10,000 radar/laser detector installation and my $3,000 Opti-Coat ceramic coating, as the policies contained a clause excluding coverage of aftermarket equipment or applications. I would have had a strong case to go after the other driver personally, but the time and litigation costs -- plus the fact that he was a young kid who was not driving aggressively and who was very contrite and completely honest with the police -- induced me to let it slide.
Well if they are maxed on policy limit yeah you are hitting your insurance which limits to coverage as stated. Liability is different, but not sure if that’s the case for op.

FWIW, Pure covered both my PPF/Ceramic and my aftermarket “parking sensors”

Yes. Our accident occasioned the first time I really delved into the details of an insurance policy, and as a result I did some cross shopping for future coverage. I found that there are more differences than I thought between the details of coverage and exclusions from one company to another. In the final analysis, I stayed with State Farm as I have bundled coverage with our home and umbrella liability, and a lot of insurance companies -- some of which were more attractive for automobile coverage -- won't write new homeowner coverage in Florida.

I was unhappy to find out that my insurance company didn't cover any aftermarket car additions, like PPF/ceramic. They will if you add it to the policy as an extra coverage. So it's on there now. But one Lucid accident is enough for me, hopefully I won't actually get paid out on it.

I had State Farm add to mine without any increase in premium just by calling my agent.

I would encourage look at used market some really competitive deals think used GTs are near 90k

I have to add my experience as somebody with an Air Pure without DDPro.. Obviously do not have 360 degree cameras in my car, but never knew what I was missing... I am driving a Grand Touring loaner this week and think the cameras are so fantastic, especially for parking and maneuvering in tight areas...

I have to add my experience as somebody with an Air Pure without DDPro.. Obviously do not have 360 degree cameras in my car, but never knew what I was missing... I am driving a Grand Touring loaner this week and think the cameras are so fantastic, especially for parking and maneuvering in tight areas...
360 cams make a huge difference in everyday situations. Both our current cars have them, and we won't buy another car without them.

I also have a pure without DD Pro and I wish I had the cameras. I don’t think it’s THAT huge an issue if you can swing it but if I was to do it again I’d opt for it.

I use the front camera as much as the 360. My garage is very narrow so it really helps me center the vehicle. This is a low car, that bottom lip of the bumper isn’t invincible though it’s pretty flexible and can take scrapes. Having the front/rear selectable on the cockpit plus the 360 on the pilot panel is without question the best most usable camera implementation of any vehicle.

Pure here and got DD premium specifically for the 360. Insane that it's not standard but I'm glad they came up with it as an add on and not forced to get DD pro vaporware (at least in the timeline I plan to have the car). It's the first and only one the delivery guy have seen so far.

Pure here and got DD premium specifically for the 360. Insane that it's not standard but I'm glad they came up with it as an add on and not forced to get DD pro vaporware (at least in the timeline I plan to have the car). It's the first and only one the delivery guy have seen so far.
I’m not sure how Pro is vaporware. Many have used Highway Assist with good success (although the current version has been shaky).

I’m not sure how Pro is vaporware. Many have used Highway Assist with good success (although the current version has been shaky).
The highway assist is nor commensurate with the DD pro price, it's the promise of higher level auto only that's included that justifies the price, but is unlikely to come out soon.

Back