Free software is limited to 4 years

I'm all for the option of being able to upgrade the hardware. $2000, $4000 is a lot better than doing what traditional carmakers are doing. Want a better computer, buy a new car! We can't expect 4,5,6 year old hardware to continue to get improvements as technology and compute changes very fast but having the option to upgrade that portion is a good approach. I hope Lucid is taking this approach vs. the buy a new car approach.

Maybe I'm crazy but isn't the FSD computer mounted to the MCU in the earlier Model S? And if you bought FSD, yes it was a free upgrade which is why said "Unless you bought FSD".
No, There are separate computers.

I'm all for the option of being able to upgrade the hardware. $2000, $4000 is a lot better than doing what traditional carmakers are doing. Want a better computer, buy a new car! We can't expect 4,5,6 year old hardware to continue to get improvements as technology and compute changes very fast but having the option to upgrade that portion is a good approach. I hope Lucid is taking this approach vs. the buy a new car approach.
Also, updating software is labor intensive. We can say that we paid for it but it is not easy for a company like Lucid to update the software for free for a lifetime of the car. I personally think that unlike gasoline cars which are way to expensive in parts and labor to replace the engine or transmission, the battery prices should fall over time and motor should be inexpensive to replace. I plan to keep Lucid for 15 years 250k miles or so. I am not expecting free HW and SW upgrades for 15 years.

My prediction: CarPlay will be available in year 5 once the monthly SW subscription kicks in :(

Since these cars are very very expensive iPhone on wheels, I'm hoping that there should be a middle path to the software update requirements for all cars. Every car must be supported for a reasonable period for various components of the software. At least 10 years for free for critical component of the software i.e. everything to do with drivetrain and sensors. The feature upgrades may not come after 5 years or 7 years given it may require newer hardware. Manufacturer can offer upgrades inclusive of H/w after that period. While UX and other non-critical functionalities can be dropped from support after 5-7 years of life of a model unless the owner purchases a new H/w for critical components.

Maintaining software at scale is a significant expense. This is one reason why most software products (Windows, iOS, etc...) have a lifecycle policy. Lucid's language is likely to preserve optionality on lifecycle. Time will tell what they actually do and if they arrive at some best practices that can help control servicing cost.

I think this is legal CYA so if a future feature requires new HW And you are outside of the warranty term, Lucid is not obliged to upgrade you. I think this is to cover the mess Tesla is in having to upgrade HW on features that are still in development. Slightly differs from Tesla situation, but Lucid is covering their bases.
+1

Back