Flaps Under Front Fender

MSH2

Cars
Lucid GT(on order)
I have had the flaps come loose three times in 15 months. It happens if you scrape them on a parking bumper. They are very flimsy. My camera sometimes warns me if I am close and sometimes doesn't. I try to be careful but I did it again. Mike.

They're made to break away if hit, rather than damage other things under the car.

I have had the flaps come loose three times in 15 months. It happens if you scrape them on a parking bumper. They are very flimsy. My camera sometimes warns me if I am close and sometimes doesn't. I try to be careful but I did it again. Mike.
I think it's the way they are attached at the rear. Try these instead of the silly push rivets that fall out: https://a.co/d/0iHPWLN

I noticed that one of my lower bumper flaps was dangling. I was able to just snap it in place but then I realized the other side was missing the flap. It must have fallen off at some point. Is it worth replacing that flap? I am not sure how important they are for aerodynamics.

My old 7 series bmws used to lose those flaps and I would never replace them.

They are very flimsy. My camera sometimes warns me if I am close and sometimes doesn't. I try to be careful but I did it again. Mike.
Rather than relying on the warning, I suggest using the 360 cameras and relying on those. In my experience, they are very good at getting you close but not too close.

I noticed that one of my lower bumper flaps was dangling. I was able to just snap it in place but then I realized the other side was missing the flap. It must have fallen off at some point. Is it worth replacing that flap? I am not sure how important they are for aerodynamics.

They are airfoils, so I'm sure they have some effect on aerodynamics. However, we drove quite a while in early days without realizing they had come off, including on a highway trip across Florida to a Lucid Service Center, and we never noticed a dip in indicated miles/kWh compared to similar trips before or after. So I'm guessing whatever effect they have is fairly minimal for most driving.

The good news is that they are easy to replace (two tabs on the leading edge that fit into slots and a single securing screw at the back). We ordered an extra pair ($20 or so, if I remember correctly) to keep on hand, and almost two years later they're still on a shelf in the garage. (They're asymmetrical, so you'll need a pair to cover replacing either side.) We soon learned to monitor parking distances by stopping the car as the curb just touches the edge of the blurred out rectangle at the front of the car in the birds-eye-view image.

They are airfoils, so I'm sure they have some effect on aerodynamics. However, we drove quite a while in early days without realizing they had come off, including on a highway trip across Florida to a Lucid Service Center, and we never noticed a dip in indicated miles/kWh compared to similar trips before or after. So I'm guessing whatever effect they have is fairly minimal for most driving.

The good news is that they are easy to replace (two tabs on the leading edge that fit into slots and a single securing screw at the back). We ordered an extra pair ($20 or so, if I remember correctly) to keep on hand, and almost two years later they're still on a shelf in the garage. (They're asymmetrical, so you'll need a pair to cover replacing either side.) We soon learned to monitor parking distances by stopping the car as the curb just touches the edge of the blurred out rectangle at the front of the car in the birds-eye-view image.
How did you order the spare airfoils?

Back