RESOLVED First time charging to 100% and this happens. Regen issues...etc

Lucidairness

Cars
Lucid touring
Today for the first time i intended to charge my air touring with 20inch to 100% and see what happens

1. Regen was not working at all..... very weird feeling.. had to brake each time....

2. Smells like something burning.......

3. Charging limited to 8kw (and it showes kw/HR instead of kw/ min)

4. My touring shouldve had 384 max and it only shows 382 at 99%..... and i was able to keep charging for about 10mins... but the range did not go up at all... and when I was driving... i felt like i had extra range because it stayed at 382 for a while. ( VERY SLOW CHARGING RATE)

5. Electrify America charging station reboot itself.... going to black blank screen and turned on again.... very weird feeling..... which i dont want to experience it again.

What else have you guys faced when fully charged?

Attachments

• 20230712_222029.jpg
    20230712_222029.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 20230712_222119.jpg
    20230712_222119.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 95
Today for the first time i intended to charge my air touring with 20inch to 100% and see what happens

1. Regen was not working at all..... very weird feeling.. had to brake each time....

4. My touring shouldve had 384 max and it only shows 382 at 99%..... and i was able to keep charging for about 10mins... but the range did not go up at all... and when I was driving... i felt like i had extra range because it stayed at 382 for a while. ( VERY SLOW CHARGING RATE)

5. Electrify America charging station reboot itself.... going to black blank screen and turned on again.... very weird feeling..... which i dont want to experience it again.

There's only 2 things unusual above:

#2. It should not smell at 100% SOC.

#5 Station reboots: maybe software bugs.

The rest are expected.
1. Full battery has no space to accept the regen so if you want regen, avoid filling up.

3. As the battery is filled up, the charging rate slows down. If you want fast rate, charge at low, not high SOC.

4. That's close enough for me 382/384. It's not perfect in real world and there are other factors that make the math imperfect.

If you want to fill up, I would not do at a fast station. I would do overnight at a slow AC station.

There's only 2 things unusual above:

#2. It should not smell at 100% SOC.

#5 Station reboots: maybe software bugs.

The rest are expected.
1. Full battery has no space to accept the regen so if you want regen, avoid filling up.

3. As the battery is filled up, the charging rate slows down. If you want fast rate, charge at low, not high SOC.

4. That's close enough for me 382/384. It's not perfect in real world and there are other factors that make the math imperfect.

If you want to fill up, I would not do at a fast station. I would do overnight at a slow AC station.
Yes thank you for the recommendation. I will not charge to 100% again.... maybe couple years later to check the degradation of battery. I just did this to see where I am so I can compare the battery in the future.

Yes thank you for the recommendation. I will not charge to 100% again.... maybe couple years later to check the degradation of battery. I just did this to see where I am so I can compare the battery in the future.
I charge to 100 as needed - meaning, if I can't make it to my next charger on 80. Otherwise, there's no reason to charge to 100, imho.

Only losing regen. You lose it because the battery is full and there's no room for additional charge to be added back. It was weird the first time.

I only charge to 100% at home before leaving for a long trip….

I only charge to 100% at home before leaving for a long trip….
All the EV makers say the same thing for battery life and user experiences: only do 100% if you will THEN be using the battery, like doing 100% at home just before starting a trip or at a charging station in the middle of a trip.

This is not new information. The process of adaptative charging is now incorporated in many lithium battery devices. On my Pixel phone, I have a 7am wakeup. When I plug the phone in at night, adaptative charging tells me it will PURPOSELY slow the charge so that at just before 7 am, the battery will be full. That is how you maximize battery life.

Bosch power tools told me the same thing. When you plug a Bosch power tool battery into a genuine Bosch charger, it may APPEAR fully charged, but it shows fully charged when its at about 90%. Bosch told me that batteries would have a significantly shorter life if every recharge was up to 100%. That is why Bosch really does not like crap generic no-name chargers - they lack the battery optimization circuits.

Lucid's error, if you want to call it, is giving us TOO MUCH INFORMATION. We now have the option of the normal 80% or going all the way. I will hazard a bet that almost all quality electronics now with lithium ion batteries do NOT charge to 100%.

All the EV makers say the same thing for battery life and user experiences: only do 100% if you will THEN be using the battery, like doing 100% at home just before starting a trip or at a charging station in the middle of a trip.

This is not new information. The process of adaptative charging is now incorporated in many lithium battery devices. On my Pixel phone, I have a 7am wakeup. When I plug the phone in at night, adaptative charging tells me it will PURPOSELY slow the charge so that at just before 7 am, the battery will be full. That is how you maximize battery life.

Bosch power tools told me the same thing. When you plug a Bosch power tool battery into a genuine Bosch charger, it may APPEAR fully charged, but it shows fully charged when its at about 90%. Bosch told me that batteries would have a significantly shorter life if every recharge was up to 100%. That is why Bosch really does not like crap generic no-name chargers - they lack the battery optimization circuits.

Lucid's error, if you want to call it, is giving us TOO MUCH INFORMATION. We now have the option of the normal 80% or going all the way. I will hazard a bet that almost all quality electronics now with lithium ion batteries do NOT charge to 100%.
What many EV makers do is reserve a portion of the battery pack to help preserve the pack. Typically 5-10%. My Genesis, for example, reserves 5%. I don't recall if Lucid does that; if it does, I wouldn't worry about occasionally charging to 100%; if it does not, I would try to minimize the times I do that.

What many EV makers do is reserve a portion of the battery pack to help preserve the pack. Typically 5-10%. My Genesis, for example, reserves 5%. I don't recall if Lucid does that; if it does, I wouldn't worry about occasionally charging to 100%; if it does not, I would try to minimize the times I do that.
It does not.

I charge to 100 as needed - meaning, if I can't make it to my next charger on 80. Otherwise, there's no reason to charge to 100, imho.
do you still get the same range at 100%? I wonder about the degradation of battery. Tesla is pretty bad I heard...

do you still get the same range at 100%? I wonder about the degradation of battery. Tesla is pretty bad I heard...
Teslas do not lose much on their batteries. At least not recent ones. There’s a bit of a drop in the first year, but subsequent years are far less.

No issues thus far. But I don’t normally charge to 100%

Tripped across this semi-old thread while scouring the site for as much information as possible before pulling the trigger.

I could not disagree more about this being too much information. Going northwest from DFW, Plugshare shows there are exactly two level 3 CCS charging stations between Decatur and Amarillo or Lubbock, and they are less than 500 feet apart, so if there's some local disruption you are completely out of luck. That's 300 miles of "I hope you make it".

The Air is a much nicer vehicle than any Tesla, but the number one consideration for me when deciding to spend an extra 30K is the extended range of the AGT. This is the reason I'm insisting on an extended road test before pulling the trigger. As an aside, my SA and the folks at the Plano studio could not be more gracious and accommodating in this regard. I've read some complaints here about people feeling like the studios aren't properly customer friendly. My experience is the exact opposite.

I guess if they read these forums I've just outed myself here. :)

When my plans call for using US 287, there is no way I'm leaving the DFW area without charging well into the 90s because we all know on a hot (or very cold) day there is no way we will get close to 368 miles (80% of 460) on an 80 percent charge.

And, BTW, it never occurred to me that regen would not happen when the battery is full. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for helping me not discover that by accident.

Back