EV charging in general as well as Electrify America in specific

It all depends just like the range, on the charger you are hooked into. Earlier i.e. last year when you found a working charger the speeds were better. Now it seems they work more consistently but the speed is down. It's not great, but it's also not on Lucid that these networks, namely Electrify America can't provide a stable juice flow at the speeds they are advertising. I'd still rather have a slower speed but more consistent and reliable uptime, but that might be the reason EA isn't giving us the speeds we desire.
Also look at Electrify America memberships for speed availability. If you pay their monthly fee you will get priority speeds over non-members at the same station.

Also look at Electrify America memberships for speed availability. If you pay their monthly fee you will get priority speeds over non-members at the same station.
I have never seen any evidence of this. In California, home of the most electric cars in the nation, the law is that they can only charge you ($) by the kilowatt hour. So, delivering higher speeds would actually allow them to charge the same money in a shorter amount of time.

EA should change that green light to amber or something, the green lights attract so many bugs! 😂

There is nothing in the regulated EA term and conditions that supports this fantastical proposition. As a regulated utility, all rates are approved by the state authorities. The rates show the no preference for speed. In fact,EA is moving away from the time based/how long you charge, to only the KWH used, everywhere. CA has totally made that switch. The $4 mo. membership Pass+ shows just one benefit: cheaper kwh. You would think if your claim was true, and regulators approved, EA would publicise the hell out it. No mention anywhere.

I pulled into the Rockford, IL Electrify America charger in a very cold rain Sunday (4/16). I got pretty wet just getting the plug into the car. That's when it dawned on me! When was the last time you got wet pumping gas into your ICE car? Nearly all gas stations cover their pump islands. I've seen a score of EV chargers of different brands, none of which are covered. At least some structure like a bus shelter would be appreciated. Besides the comfort of drivers, one would think that the companies providing these high voltage chargers with delicate electronics would want to shield them from precipitation as much as possible. To add insult to injury, there were 1-2-inch deep puddles around each island, and this was not from a torrential rain.

On Saturday, the preceding day, when it was warm and sunny with mild winds, I achieved good range with my Air Touring. I drove from the Champaign-area in central-Illinois to Chicago and probably could have made it round-trip without charging, but traffic was heavy, so I charged at the Lincolnwood Electrify America charger. It was a piece of cake. The charger recognized my car, I tapped the charger number on the Lucid app on my phone and was gulping electrons at 100kw. Wow, I thought they've finally solved the problem.

The next day in a cold (38 degree) rain with high wind I drove to Rockford, as mentioned above. At the EA hyper-charger, it recognized my car and started charging at about 130 kw, Great! Then after a few minutes the inevitable slowdown occurred, Soon it was down to 75 kw. I recalled reading somewhere (perhaps on this forum?) that unplugging and replugging could reinitiate the session and boost the speed. That was a bad mistake on my part. The charger no longer would recognize the car. We were meeting family for dinner, so we gave up following a few tries. After dinner, we went back to the same EA charger (different unit) and tried again. After six attempts of plugging and unplugging, the charger would not recognize the Lucid. So I called the "833" help number. This is the first time EA kept me on hold (for about seven minutes). Then a helpful and friendly person typed in the right code and the electrons began to flow, albeit at 75 kw. It slowed to 49 kw by the time we reached the 85 percent charge we needed to return home. I had preconditioned the battery before charging, but it was still a chilly 38 degrees with strong winds. I'm sure on a warm day with light wind we could have made the drive home with a 70 percent charge or less. As it was, we arrived home with 18 percent.

I have no issues with Lucid (or any other EV company) not meeting its advertised range, there are just too many variables. We all know that just as with ICE cars, promised range/or mileage greatly varies from reality. What irks me are the advertising charging speeds. If I recall, and please correct me, Lucid claimed you could charge as fast as (with the usual asterisk) from 40-80 (or was it 30-80?) percent in 20 minutes? Let me know if any of you achieve this.
We had the same problem of the car not being recognized when we unplugged and plugged in again. We were on a road trip and the problem continued to follow us until we got home. We had to get EA and LUCID customer service to charge each time on the road. Then magically EA started recognizing the car again.

I spoke with a Ford F150 EV owner at a local charger and he claimed that Ford will switch the charging port on existing owner’s cars to the Tesla port within a year. If true, that’s certainly excellent customer service and a recognition of the sorry state the EA network is in.

I spoke with a Ford F150 EV owner at a local charger and he claimed that Ford will switch the charging port on existing owner’s cars to the Tesla port within a year. If true, that’s certainly excellent customer service and a recognition of the sorry state the EA network is in.
Personally I think ford is the best "legacy manufacturer" trying to be electric. Unlike GM, they seem to realize that stuffing 200 kwh of battery is not at all a good solution to range shortfalls.
For example, their EV version of a expedition is apparently as aerodynamic as a "bullet train," and it will have legitimate third row space.(escalade iq has only 30 inches of third row, kind of pathetic).

Not to derail the thread from EA though.

I hope so but find that hard to believe. It's not just switching a connector. A contactor (relay) capable of handling ~ 500 amps at 500 volts must also be added to the vehicle along with some control circuitry.

Back