Energy limited due to cold battery

Halodde

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Everyone knows it's cold in winter and often even more so in Buffalo. But I just preconditioned my battery to charge for another trip tomorrow and after 20 minutes of preconditioning, I'm STILL getting the energy limited due to cold battery message. At this point, I don't really care about the limited energy because I'm not about to go racing at 38°. But if the battery won't warm up with preconditioning, it's going to take forever to charge. Anyone else experience this problem? BTW it's 38° here today.

Everyone knows it's cold in winter and often even more so in Buffalo. But I just preconditioned my battery to charge for another trip tomorrow and after 20 minutes of preconditioning, I'm STILL getting the energy limited due to cold battery message. At this point, I don't really care about the limited energy because I'm not about to go racing at 38°. But if the battery won't warm up with preconditioning, it's going to take forever to charge. Anyone else experience this problem? BTW it's 38° here today.
I am curious about this as well. My particular interest is can the battery be warmed for better range before leaving the garage. I have no concern with performance in the speed or acceleration sense.

I had this warning as well. It ultimately warmed up while driving and I didnt see a big impact in charging.

They did mention in a recent patch that they were doing longer preconditioning cycles now.

With the recent sub zero temps battery performance was greatly reduced. Gut feel is efficiency was down 30-40% which is significant, especially when going on longer drives. I'm curious to get other people's experiences with cold weather driving, i.e. - 10 degrees to sub-zero.

With the recent sub zero temps battery performance was greatly reduced. Gut feel is efficiency was down 30-40% which is significant, especially when going on longer drives. I'm curious to get other people's experiences with cold weather driving, i.e. - 10 degrees to sub-zero.

I picked up my Air Touring towards the end of December so I have no anecdotal warmer weather comparison. I have also experienced what I believe to be (and to be clear, also expected) an efficiency drop as a result of the cold weather across the northeast. Unfortunately, my car is outdoors pretty much 24/7. In 10 degree F weather, I have seen a battery charge loss of 10% over a 10 mile, somewhat spirited drive in the morning. This is starting from an overnight 80% SoC, defrosting the vehicle before I depart and using all heating features offered by the vehicle during said morning drive. Not an issue at all for me nor a complaint, just sharing the experience as something I consider in my driving plans.

Needless to say, I am excited for some warmer weather and roads without heaps of salt!

Last year we had a stretch of minus 10 to minus 30 that lasted about 4 days. Needless to say, efficiency took a major hit ; with at least a 40 percent decline. At one point I only achieved 2.2 m/kWh. For most of the winter, I get around 2.8 m/kWh. I have an AGT with 19 inch wheels.

This thread has some good info in it regarding Preconditioning. https://lucidowners.com/threads/cold-weather-battery-tips.4050/page-5#post-183070

It takes 30 to 45 minutes for the cold message to go away when I precondition mine in the garage.

Pete

This thread has some good info in it regarding Preconditioning. https://lucidowners.com/threads/cold-weather-battery-tips.4050/page-5#post-183070

It takes 30 to 45 minutes for the cold message to go away when I precondition mine in the garage.

Pete
With respect to preconditioning the manual states the following: "Preconditioning optimizes the temperature of the battery so it receives the maximum amount of charging from a fast charging station. Your Lucid Air can precondition your battery before fast charging".... "Note: Preconditioning is not required for home charging (level 1 or level 2 AC charging) since the energy level is low enough that the temperature of the battery does not affect the charging rate."
Based on this not sure preconditioning helps at all for home charging regardless of air temperature.

With respect to preconditioning the manual states the following: "Preconditioning optimizes the temperature of the battery so it receives the maximum amount of charging from a fast charging station. Your Lucid Air can precondition your battery before fast charging".... "Note: Preconditioning is not required for home charging (level 1 or level 2 AC charging) since the energy level is low enough that the temperature of the battery does not affect the charging rate."
Based on this not sure preconditioning helps at all for home charging regardless of air temperature.

Yes, I agree it does nothing for the speed of charging at home. I am just assuming that keeping the battery within its optimal temperature is better for its long term life. But, that is just my speculation.

Pete

This is true but you should avoid L2 (or L1) charging a frozen battery. Preconditioning a very cold battery prior to any charging is a good idea IMO.

This is true but you should avoid L2 (or L1) charging a frozen battery. Preconditioning a very cold battery prior to any charging is a good idea IMO.
The Wunderbox will not allow damage to the battery. When very cold, most of the charge will be used to warm the battery (precondition) and the remainder to charge it.

Pete

Back