Early Driving Experience--I Probably Looked Like a Teen Driver

Bnwbaron

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
Posting because some of you might find my experience familiar and get a grin.

I have had my Touring for two weeks. I have taken i out on some limited runs in between the rain that has hit So. Cal. I swear this car is too smart. I have played with the different settings, and I am trying to figure out what I can trust with the adaptive cruise control and highway assist. On the way out of town, I set the my speed and the highway assist and let the car drift to see what would happen. At the far right of the lane, the car corrected left. At the far left, the car didn't see the line, so I drifted halfway into the two-way left-turn lane before I pulled it back. The car did a great job of keeping distance behind the car ahead of me. This exercise generally continued on for a few miles before the guy behind me had enough and bolted around. I don't blame him.

I also noticed that when I merged on a freeway, the car didn't like the merge (I didn't signal--lanes naturally merged), and it tried to stop me by correcting in the wrong direction. That caused me to pull the wheel and oversteer into the new lane. Again, I probably looked like a first time driver to the cars behind me.

My favorite "I look dumb" example is when I need a little speed and hit the accelerator. The thing is so quick, the car lurches forward. The lurch still surprises me, so I pull of the gas, and the regenerative braking aggressively slows me down. It's making me laugh thinking about it. To be clear, no cars were ever close enough to be ask risk when I was "experimenting," and no animals were harmed in the making of this post :)

Bottom line--These are growing pains, and I am really having a blast with the new wheels. I still love the car.

I have had my Touring for two weeks. I have taken i out on some limited runs in between the rain that has hit So. Cal. I swear this car is too smart. I have played with the different settings, and I am trying to figure out what I can trust with the adaptive cruise control and highway assist. On the way out of town, I set the my speed and the highway assist and let the car drift to see what would happen. At the far right of the lane, the car corrected left. At the far left, the car didn't see the line, so I drifted halfway into the two-way left-turn lane before I pulled it back. The car did a great job of keeping distance behind the car ahead of me. This exercise generally continued on for a few miles before the guy behind me had enough and bolted around. I don't blame him.

I also noticed that when I merged on a freeway, the car didn't like the merge (I didn't signal--lanes naturally merged), and it tried to stop me by correcting in the wrong direction. That caused me to pull the wheel and oversteer into the new lane. Again, I probably looked like a first time driver to the cars behind me.

My favorite "I look dumb" example is when I need a little speed and hit the accelerator. The thing is so quick, the car lurches forward. The lurch still surprises me, so I pull of the gas, and the regenerative braking aggressively slows me down. It's making me laugh thinking about it. To be clear, no cars were ever close enough to be ask risk when I was "experimenting," and no animals were harmed in the making of this post :)

Bottom line--These are growing pains, and I am really having a blast with the new wheels. I still love the car.
I believe what you are experiencing is the "lane keep assist" which can be annoying if you don't signal when merging or changing lanes. As long as you put on your signal and wait a second or two it should not try to turn you back. Also, it is just an assist and as you noted sometimes it doesn't "see" the left lane marker and will let you drift. Some members here have just turned "lane keep assist" off. Highway Assist which is part of DDP is a different animal. It will work on most major freeways and does a pretty decent job of following the road and keeping you in your lane while also maintaining distance between you and the car in front of you. It can also be somewhat annoying if you tend to look around a lot or don't keep your hands on the steering wheel. Again if you want to change lanes you must signal and wait a second or two before making the move over. Just takes some getting used to.

I believe what you are experiencing is the "lane keep assist" which can be annoying if you don't signal when merging or changing lanes. As long as you put on your signal and wait a second or two it should not try to turn you back. Also, it is just an assist and as you noted sometimes it doesn't "see" the left lane marker and will let you drift. Some members here have just turned "lane keep assist" off. Highway Assist which is part of DDP is a different animal. It will work on most major freeways and does a pretty decent job of following the road and keeping you in your lane while also maintaining distance between you and the car in front of you. It can also be somewhat annoying if you tend to look around a lot or don't keep your hands on the steering wheel. Again if you want to change lanes you must signal and wait a second or two before making the move over. Just takes some getting used to.
Thanks, SL!

I second what Saratoga Lefty said - I struggled with the land keep issue for half of my first day in the car until I figured out how to turn it off - its never been back on since….. Highway Assist for me has been very effective and predictable. Again, the trick is in putting your blinker on for two to three flashes before turning into a new lane. Have fun experimenting!

I second what Saratoga Lefty said - I struggled with the land keep issue for half of my first day in the car until I figured out how to turn it off - its never been back on since….. Highway Assist for me has been very effective and predictable. Again, the trick is in putting your blinker on for two to three flashes before turning into a new lane. Have fun experimenting!
I have always used Cruise Control in all my vehicles and I find the Highway Assist something I don't much care for. Before I found out how to disable it I thought something was wrong with my new car. Glad I was educated on that feature.

AKA PIO Pilot induced oscillation

Back