Dream Sets New Record For A Production Sedan - 9.9 sec 1/4 mile @ 144.4mph; 1080hp

Astounding.

I have one question, though. The Lucid website is showing graphics of two battery platforms. One with recessed rear footwells seems to be for the Dream Edition, as it is labeled with the Dream specs (dual motor, 1080 hp, 517 mi range). The other pack has additional battery modules in the recesses. What is that one?

Astounding.

I have one question, though. The Lucid website is showing graphics of two battery platforms. One with recessed rear footwells seems to be for the Dream Edition, as it is labeled with the Dream specs (dual motor, 1080 hp, 517 mi range). The other pack has additional battery modules in the recesses. What is that one?

Yes, I noticed that as well. It has one additional battery module on each side. I'll inquire but, we may have to wait to Sept. 9th to find out.

I've sent an email to my sales rep, too. I'll post what she says.

The recessed footwells are a big deal to me. I'm getting worried they may come at the cost of reduced range.

I've sent an email to my sales rep, too. I'll post what she says.

The recessed footwells are a big deal to me. I'm getting worried they may come at the cost of reduced range.

In re reading the previous releases Lucid states that the 113kWh battery pack is "Sculpted." That diagram shows the rear recessed footwells and highlights the "sculpted" battery pack. And, of course, it was the 113kWh battery pack that achieved the 517 EPA rated estimated range. I wouldn't be concerned at this point. Take a look: https://lucidmotors.com/stories/lucid-space-concept-delivers-class-leading-interior-space

I wonder if the additional battery packs are for the three (3) motor setup???

Last edited:
I think the sculpting also refers to stacking some of the batteries under the center console at the front of the car, so they could probably get by with calling either pack "sculpted".

I wondered the same thing about the additional capacity being for the tri-motor version. If I could get 517 miles of range and the performance the dual-motor car turned in at Sonoma, I'd be perfectly happy with stopping there if I could get the recessed rear footwells as well.

Frankly, I think the performance of the dual-motor car is so near the limits of tire traction that all you'd get from the tri-motor version is a very marginal increase in rear torque vectoring precision that wouldn't matter anywhere off a rack track, anyway. I'm thinking the third motor might make a bit more sense in the SUV (which will share a platform with the Air) than the sedan.

I had seen that. It came out about the time they announced the size of the battery pack. That's why I had started thinking the recessed footwells would be available with the 113-kWh capacity 517-mile-range car.

I'm just hoping that graphic at the bottom of today's new page was an older version that was posted in error.

I think the sculpting also refers to stacking some of the batteries under the center console at the front of the car, so they could probably get by with calling either pack "sculpted".

I wondered the same thing about the additional capacity being for the tri-motor version. If I could get 517 miles of range and the performance the dual-motor car turned in at Sonoma, I'd be perfectly happy with stopping there if I could get the recessed rear footwells as well.

Frankly, I think the performance of the dual-motor car is so near the limits of tire traction that all you'd get from the tri-motor version is a very marginal increase in rear torque vectoring precision that wouldn't matter anywhere off a rack track, anyway. I'm thinking the third motor might make a bit more sense in the SUV (which will share a platform with the Air) than the sedan.
I’ve wondered the same when contemplating waiting for Plaid S. We’re talking low volume halo cars for marketing and pride at that this level, so I’m not sure if the marginalization is a big deal. Titles matter and three is better than two to the few thousand likely to buy these imo.

That said, would it help freeway passing?
And if they’re able to use it for the SUV, they can justify the developmental costs.

Nevertheless, astonishingly good first production car numbers for Lucid. Although there are more EV aware buyers now, they didn’t have the benefit of there being no standard like Tesla 8 years ago.

I suspect the Plaid is going to be a very impressive performer. However, if the interior is just updated within the existing shell, the two biggest issues with my Model S won't be resolved: interior storage space and cramped rear quarters.

It's the Tesla Palladium project which has me more intrigued. Rumors are that part of the Fremont factory is being refitted to build new Model S and Model X body designs. It'll be interesting to see if Tesla is getting anywhere near Lucid in packaging efficiency.

I suspect the Plaid is going to be a very impressive performer. However, if the interior is just updated within the existing shell, the two biggest issues with my Model S won't be resolved: interior storage space and cramped rear quarters.

It's the Tesla Palladium project which has me more intrigued. Rumors are that part of the Fremont factory is being refitted to build new Model S and Model X body designs. It'll be interesting to see if Tesla is getting anywhere near Lucid in packaging efficiency.
RIP to my early retirement if Tesla offers a Plaid with Palladium redesign next year, along with Lucid releasing the Air and Rivian producing the R1S.

Astounding.

Appears to me that the 113kWh battery pack is comprised of 12 modules. I just read an article in FutureCar which states that the Air will be offered with up to 14 battery modules. Could this be the 130kWh battery pack (comprised of 14 modules) with a range of 600miles with dual motors??? The math works.

Hmmm. Could be. If so, that would suit me fine. 517 miles is plenty of range, and I'd get the recessed footwells.

In looking at today's graphic of the platform with the open floorpan, though, I see what appear to be 12 modules clearly visible ahead of the open floorpan (2 x 5; plus 1 at the front, centered on the ten, plus the one under the front console). But I think there are also modules under the rear seat platform, according to other pictures on the Lucid website. That would make 14 modules even with the open floorpan.

Boy, this really has me flummoxed.

Did you actually see the battery modules under the rear seat platform? I'm guessing that part of the battery pack, under the rear seat, houses the battery cooling equipment?

Actually, I didn't. I was relying on this graphic from the Lucid website. I would be surprised if Lucid did not put some of the battery pack in the rear in order to keep front/rear weight distribution as close to 50/50 as possible. However, this shot seems to show 16 modules, based on the bolt pairs you can see: 12 in the front and 4 in the rear. The rear area seems to have the same bolt mounts as the front of the pack, so I am guessing those were more modules. This is an old graphic from the time I was still being told the reclining seats would not have the biggest battery pack as those seats required the recessed footwells. So this is depicting something smaller than the 130-kWh pack that was being planned at that time.

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 10.17.02 AM.png

Impossible to determine without further info. We'll just have to wait until next Wed when they will reveal the available configurations.

The email that Lucid just sent out to reservation holders answered a couple more questions about the Dream Edition. It is going to have 21" aero wheels. Also, I had been wondering if the car that hit 9.9 secs in the quarter mile also had the 517 miles of range. It appears it does.

There was also a mention of a "unique interior theme", whatever that means. I for one hope it keeps the dual-color interior we've seen on the show cars.

As I read it, sounds like we are getting the ideal configuration. And, you will get the rear seat foot garage.

I hope there are options other than the "unique interior theme" just like there will be options other than the "unique exterior color"? Will need to evaluate during the reveal and on the configurator.

I agree this is starting to look like the ideal configuration.

The wording in the email said the unique color was an option but it did not use the same term in talking about the interior theme or the wheels. I, too, hope we'll have some choices there. Several months ago my sales rep told me the Dream Edition built for the New York Auto Show had the Santa Monica interior. She was not sure at that point if other interiors would be offered on the Dream Edition. While I guess I could live with it, it's my least favorite of the four they've publicized.

While the wheels in Wednesday's graphics are growing on me, I still like the ones seen on the show cars. They seem to have blacked-out infill between the silver spokes, so I'm assuming they're aero wheels, too. I hope we will have a choice.

FWIW, I've seen three videos in the past few days from reporters whose views I respect: Transport Evolved, E for Electric, and InsideEVs. All three said they had been to Lucid HQ in the past couple of weeks, seen the final production version in the metal, and been able to talk extensively with the engineering team. All three said they were under "embargo" not to reveal things that have not yet been teased by Lucid, but all three said the car was incredibly impressive. Tom Moloughney, a seasoned EV reporter who often teams with Sandy Munro to cover his reverse-engineering teardowns, actually said that Lucid seemed almost to be on another planet in terms of what it's pulled off with the Air.

Back