Doors locking with fob inside

the doors will lock with the fob inside. Yes, my phone was inside too. Fortunately, I had the card in my other jacket.
Also know that if you have apple watch, you can unlock the car from the app on the watch. You should be close enough to your phone for it to work if you are standing close by it.
 
Another reason to never leave your key fob in the car, along with getting it stolen.
 
so does any other car ...
Not all. My 2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty would not let you lock the door and close it with the key in it. I know for certain because I used it extensively on backcountry hunting trips where I’d try and lock a key in there and carry a backup in my pack. It would not let me do this.
 
Not true at all - my Cayenne, my last Infiniti M, my BMW, and my wife’s Infiniti QX won’t lock if the fob is inside the car. Why would you think that? This isn’t a new technology and has been around forever.
And every car I owned Audi, BMW, Porsche and Range Rover did this.
You might not be able to lock it with the 2nd key fob but via the phone app, NFC card, or activity key (wristband from Range Rover) this always worked with the key inside the car.
 
This happened to me this morning when I was waiting for the loaner I had to be picked up. I meant to leave the door ajar but did not.

Pressing on the driver door handle unlocked the car with the fob inside
 
the doors will lock with the fob inside. Yes, my phone was inside too. Fortunately, I had the card in my other jacket.
Press the door handle. Et voilà, car unlocks. :)
 
Press the door handle. Et voilà, car unlocks. :)
This. I've had my fob in my jacket pocket, opened the frunk, put the jacket into the car, closed the frunk, and walked away. Came back to realize the fob was now in the frunk and the car was locked. But a press on the door handle opened it right up. So long as it detects a mobile key or fob nearby, the car will unlock with a press on the driver door handle.
 
But also, carry the key card in your wallet. It's light. And it's a great for last-resort assurance.
 
Not true at all - my Cayenne, my last Infiniti M, my BMW, and my wife’s Infiniti QX won’t lock if the fob is inside the car. Why would you think that? This isn’t a new technology and has been around forever.
True, I had a Tesla mobile service tech lock himself out of his service Model S. He left his phone, laptop and key fob in the S and it locked. For him pressing the door handle didn’t unlock the car. He had to use my phone to call Tesla roadside to remotely unlock the car. It was actually pretty funny watching him try to convince roadside he was a Tesla employee who got locked out of a Tesla service vehicle.
 
Press the door handle. Et voilà, car unlocks. :)
Ah, great tip! I've been car camping and the idea of locking myself out was a bit anxiety-inducing. (I actually hid a key card outside of the car in camping gear just in case.)
 
Ah, great tip! I've been car camping and the idea of locking myself out was a bit anxiety-inducing. (I actually hid a key card outside of the car in camping gear just in case.)
check first, mine only does that on the passenger side or trunk until they fix it.
 
check first, mine only does that on the passenger side or trunk until they fix it.
Which means you have a faulty door handle, but it is even less likely that both door handles would fail at the same time.
 
Back
Top