Delivery estimation for 2022-2024

limtless

Right now this is the data being reported:

Lucid last reported earnings for its fiscal 2022 first quarter which saw revenue come in at $57.7 million as deliveries topped out at 360 against guidance for production volume of 12,000 to 14,000 vehicles for the year. Lucid expects to deliver 49,000 vehicles in 2023, rising to 90,000 in 2024. This would be for revenue of $5.5 billion and $9.9 billion respectively.

Everyone with a reservation should get their car in 2023, unless new orders come in for more expensive Airs. They have just over 30K reservations, 10% to 30% cancelation I suspect. New orders will come in once they start hitting the road and word gets out. 2023 will be an interesting year. Still no word on standard equipment for the Pure.

Cancelations are a given. My only question is how many bare-bones APs get made. I suspect most people want the Pures, thought?

Projected builds and actual builds so far have been miles apart. Speculation on what Lucid finally builds in 2022, 2023 and 2024 is just that… speculation. Numbers so far are woefully less than reality. Outguessing what will happen is just a game.

Remember at some point they need to start delivering cars for the Saudi Government order (they own 60% of the company). Those are cars that will come off the production line but won’t go to reservation holders.

Lucid Motors: Darwinism Is Eating EV Manufacturers

Jul. 19, 2022 2:38 PM ETLucid Group, Inc. (LCID)4 Comments2 Likes

Summary​

• Lucid is well capitalized to weather the EV winter.
  • The company continues to execute well on its operational targets and has sped up plans for its first factory outside North America.
  • However, a possible recession could derail delivery targets for its 2023 and 2024 fiscal years.

La Jolla, CA: Lucid Motors Showroom at Westfield UTC Mall

JannHuizenga

Developing, manufacturing, and retailing a new car is very capital intensive. Hence, whilst companies might be able to raise the initial startup funds, many fail because they are unable to retain access to the deep pool of capital required to support and maintain long periods of heavy capital expenditure. For clarity, Lucid Motors (NASDAQ:LCID) does not fall into this camp yet as it held cash and equivalents of $5.4 billion as of its last reported quarter. This places the company above many of its peers that also went public during the pandemic years.
But with the EV landscape fast becoming characterized by going concern risk and a looming liquidity crisis, Lucid stands to emerge strongly as Darwinism looks set to eat a number of EV manufacturers. Electric Last Mile, which like Lucid went public in 2021 via a blank check company has filed its chapter 7 with a number of other companies like Canoo (GOEV) and Faraday Future (FFIE) facing looming liquidity gaps. This will heighten an already Darwinistic backdrop for EV manufacturers, reducing long-term competition in the space to only a handful of the fittest and most competitive companies.
Lucid bulls are in great hands. The California-based company's management has executed well so far by completing its first purpose-built EV factory in Arizona last year. The $700 million Casa Grande facility will have a future capacity to produce 350,000 units a year and will set the backdrop for an eventual expansion of total production capacity for Lucid to half a million cars a year by the middle of the decade. The remainder of this total will come from a second 155,000 production capacity factory in Saudi Arabia to serve the fledgling Middle-Eastern EV market.

Strongly Capitalized To Weather EV Winter​

Lucid's flagship Lucid Air EV sedan is the longest range and fastest charging luxury EV currently on the market. The company's Air Dream model has an EPA range of up to 520 miles per charge with 300 miles of this deliverable within a 20 minutes charge time. While the company's models are expensive with a starting price of $87,400, reservations have grown to reach just over 30,000 to place the sales pipeline at $2.9 billion. This number excludes a 100,000 vehicle purchase commitment from the Saudi Arabian government.
Lucid last reported earnings for its fiscal 2022 first quarter which saw revenue come in at $57.7 million as deliveries topped out at 360 against guidance for production volume of 12,000 to 14,000 vehicles for the year. Lucid expects to deliver 49,000 vehicles in 2023, rising to 90,000 in 2024. This would be for revenue of $5.5 billion and $9.9 billion respectively. However, the specter of a recession towards the latter half of 2023 has been flagged as a core risk for an embattled US economy already fighting record levels of inflation. Hence, whilst the EV market is likely going to realize a material ramp in demand over the next decade, a protracted and pronounced period of negative economic growth would derail Lucid's delivery targets and jeopardize its ambition to turn free cash flow positive from 2025.
This is problematic because Lucid's cash burn for its last reported quarter stood at $680 million, a figure that includes capital expenditure of $185 million. With Lucid guiding for total capital expenditure for this year of $2 billion, the company's cash position could quickly become precarious. Assuming operational cash burn remains at $495 million per quarter, Lucid's runway would only extend into the latter half of 2023. However, the company has been able to secure a $1 billion debt facility which would extend this runway. The backing by Saudi Arabia also somewhat de-risks Lucid's operational roadmap. Indeed, the company was provided with $3.4 billion in financing and incentives over the next 15 years to build its AMP-2 factory in the Kingdom's new King Abdullah Economic City.

A New EV Landscape​

Lucid is one of the higher-quality EV companies that went public last year. The company is chasing a space set for immense growth over the next decade as governments rush to fulfil their net-zero obligations on the back of the Paris Climate Accords. This will see a phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles with the EU announcing a framework to stop the sale of all new ICE vehicle sales past 2035. The direction of the world is clear and Lucid is on the right path with a strong technology offering and a management team that is executing ambitious capital expenditure targets.

That’s right, but until the SA plant opens (expected in 2025) SA govt orders will come from US. It’s not many (1000-2000 per year), but still takes away from customer deliveries.
I think the contract calls for 5000/year with an option for another 5000/year, for a 10 year period. The allocation of the deliveries between the 2 factories was not specified, as far as I could determine. One can assume that the SA factory will fulfill the bulk of the contract.

Last edited:
Yes, those cars are coming from the SA plant, not the AZ plant.

Full read: Lucid Motors Stock: Darwinism Is Eating EV Manufacturers (NASDAQ:LCID) | Seeking Alpha
Thanks for posting. I would cut all the annual production estimates sharply. Recent experience for all EV companies is dismal. In particular, for Lucid, 2022 was to be 25000, then cut to 12-14000, the number will most likely be cut again, at the earnings call, to 7000? There are only 5 months left in this year and they will need to produce 1000/ month to reach that number. Seems a stretch. Will next year be better? 49000 = 134/day Hope they have the train line running by then.

I think the contract calls for 5000/year with an option for another 5000/year, for a 10 year period. The allocation of the deliveries between the 2 factories was not specified, as far as I could determine. One can assume that the SA factory will fulfill the bulk of the contract.
The way I read the reporting was that all would come from US until SA factory is complete (obviously), then all would come from SA. Start with 1k-2k per year then increase. (That would also mean more than 5k per month would be needed in later years to make up the 50k minimum).

May not be that clear cut if the SA factory is slow to ramp once it opens.

With Saudi money, I think Lucid is fine. Look at the LIV Tour money they have. I feel confident in 2023 delivery. My only hesitation is bare bones AP models might get pushed out to end of 2023 or 2024.

I do wish they would communicate more on the AP and ETA based on options.

With Saudi money, I think Lucid is fine. Look at the LIV Tour money they have. I feel confident in 2023 delivery. My only hesitation is bare bones AP models might get pushed out to end of 2023 or 2024.

You will know a bit more tomorrow evening when they hold the Earnings Call.

Frankly, I am fine if my (bare bones) Air Pure gets pushed into 2024. For now my ICE vehicles are running fine (fingers crossed that this continues), and more and more EVs are being introduced every week. I have seen that some members here have already canceled their reservations and purchased Kia and Hyundai EVs. The new Genesis GV60 looks interesting. Battery technology is continuing to evolve, and I anticipate new chemistry by 2024. I was, and am, excited enough about the Air Pure to put in a reservation. However, if the software issues continue, if Lucid decides to de-content the Air Pure to the point where I don't think that I am getting sufficient value, or if Lucid does not keep up with new battery technology as it is introduced, then I am confident that the Saudi investment will enable me to get my deposit back.

Frankly, I am fine if my (bare bones) Air Pure gets pushed into 2024. For now my ICE vehicles are running fine (fingers crossed that this continues), and more and more EVs are being introduced every week. I have seen that some members here have already canceled their reservations and purchased Kia and Hyundai EVs. The new Genesis GV60 looks interesting. Battery technology is continuing to evolve, and I anticipate new chemistry by 2024. I was, and am, excited enough about the Air Pure to put in a reservation. However, if the software issues continue, if Lucid decides to de-content the Air Pure to the point where I don't think that I am getting sufficient value, or if Lucid does not keep up with new battery technology as it is introduced, then I am confident that the Saudi investment will enable me to get my deposit back.
Count me amongst those who think there's no way the Pure gets pushed all the way to 2024. They simply don't have that many GT and Touring orders to produce. Unless they've somehow doubled their preorders this quarter, and the bulk of them are GTs. (In this economy, does anyone believe that?) And even then, they would start making Touring and Pures ordered in 2019 and 2020 before delivering GTs ordered in August or September of this year. Just for the optics.

Even if you are pessimistic and say they will only deliver about 6k this year, the only way they don't start Pure before mid next year is if they don't accelerate their production at all, or slow down even further. Is that possible? Sure. Likely? At that point the company is probably on its way to folding, anyway.

I agree with most of this. At $300 I don't worry about my investment. I have also put down a refundable deposit on a Cadillac Lyriq as a backup but prefer the Lucid assuming it figures out its issues by the time Lucid gets to me. As noted above, there will be lots of choices by late 2023 or early 2024 (my best guess as to when Lucid will get to me for my Pure).

Back