Dashboard appearance of Dream Drive Pro

I pretty much new that DDpro was not going to be ready anytime soon as tesla also took forever. So I paid for it knowing it probably would not work for maybe the entire time I owned the car. My justification was to help Lucid deliver a great car. And boy, they sure did. I did not expect how great this car drives and how much I love driving it. Well worth the extra $10k.

In Lucid's favor, they aren't promising dates and missing them, or making official announcements of upcoming features that never appear. The downside is that they are vague about what's coming and silent about the time frame. If they changed the latter by throwing out meaningless dates and feature lists, it wouldn't be helpful, but I wouldn't be bothered by unofficial leaks about what's being worked on.

Dreams (for LUCID) is right. KIA has this display, and lane changing, and all roads, and no annoying beeps and alarms to put your hands on the wheel.

It's embarrassing to LUCID owners...
The funny part is that you literally lied in your post. I have a new EV9, which only has a very basic visualization, warnings to put your hands on the wheel (granted, it is rare and comes up every 2 minutes), and lane changing is activated with the push of the lane marker.

Despite @borski also having a Hyundai, he is also disagreeing with you. Maybe you should take that as a hint.
They don't want to incorporate too many beeps so they can keep the learning curve flat for the thief that steals it.
Okay, @Bobby, you did not have to do that to us… but well played. Easily the roast of the month on this forum, as is normal for you 🤣
I'll bite on this and say I bought DDPro because of everything else besides the self driving crap like pedestrian alerts and cross traffic stuff
Wait, wouldn’t the only reason you got DDPro be that… it was included on the Dream? Haha

Last edited:
Wait, wouldn’t the only reason you got DDPro be that… it was included on the Dream? Haha
Yes, but, we could have waited to purchase a lower trim without it.

Dreams (for LUCID) is right. KIA has this display, and lane changing, and all roads, and no annoying beeps and alarms to put your hands on the wheel.

It's embarrassing to LUCID owners...
I agree. I’m disappointed in several of the features I don’t have. I love the way the car drives but the features could use a massive software upgrade to stay current with the times.

I agree. I’m disappointed in several of the features I don’t have. I love the way the car drives but the features could use a massive software upgrade to stay current with the times.
Test drives are important. That said, some more features are coming soon.

I have been a Lucid Pure owner for 2 days. I paid $8000 for Tesla FSD. I knew that it would never be realized in my lifetime but I want to still experience it.
I only used it a couple of times in 4 years and did not trust it. We never took Tesla for family trips so I rarely used autopilot.
I paid for Dream Drive Premium as I wanted 360 degree view, blind spot monitoring but it was only $2500. Was it really $10K in the past?

I have been a Lucid Pure owner for 2 days. I paid $8000 for Tesla FSD. I knew that it would never be realized in my lifetime but I want to still experience it.
I only used it a couple of times in 4 years and did not trust it. We never took Tesla for family trips so I rarely used autopilot.
I paid for Dream Drive Premium as I wanted 360 degree view, blind spot monitoring but it was only $2500. Was it really $10K in the past?
I believe that for early models, DDPremium was not an option, just DDPro. They later added this intermediate option.

Was it really $10K in the past?
Yes, in the early days it was either DreamDrive which came standard or DreamDrive Pro which was $10,000 with a whole bunch of things promised as coming soon or in future to justify the price. It seems now that some features are finally being released in the coming months.

1723759338701.webp

The funny part is that you literally lied in your post. I have a new EV9, which only has a very basic visualization, warnings to put your hands on the wheel (granted, it is rare and comes up every 2 minutes), and lane changing is activated with the push of the lane marker.
In all fairness, "annoying" is subjective. I don't find the prompts in the Lucid annoying. I do find ones in a Tesla annoying. Lucid won't bother me if there's a moderate and consistent amount of pressure on the wheel. If I do get a warning for any reason, a tug will make it go away, and if I tug too hard it won't disengage autosteer the way it does on a Tesla.

Some people might find the one on a Lucid annoying, and considering that holding the wheel is even more important without ADAS, yet manufacturers don't warn drivers to hold the wheel in that situation, it's fair to say that people already know that they are supposed to hold the wheel whether the car tells them to or not. Also, Lucid is supposed to be monitoring the driver's eyes for attentiveness, and whether or not a driver is holding the wheel has nothing to do with whether or not the driver is paying attention. If anything, it makes sense to monitor the driver's hands when ADAS is off, and if the driver is not holding the wheel and doesn't respond to warnings, turn ADAS on. It might also make sense to bring the car to a safe stop if possible, unless the driver somehow reacts by moving the wheel or taking some other action.

I can tolerate Lucid doing it since other companies do it, even though there's no FMVSS calling for it that I'm aware of. But I wouldn't mind at all if it went away, or the car said at the start to always hold the wheel.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
[…] and considering that holding the wheel is even more important without ADAS, yet manufacturers don't warn drivers to hold the wheel in that situation, it's fair to say that people already know that they are supposed to hold the wheel whether the car tells them to or not.
I don’t actually think that’s a valid argument. In the case without ADAS, drivers know, by definition, that they need to have their hands on the wheel, because otherwise the car can’t steer.

With ADAS, a driver can become accustomed to the car steering for them, and rely on it to a flaw, when it definitely is neither billed as nor reviewed as automatic handsfree steering. Keeping your hands on the wheel is no different from not having your legs up on the dash when you are in cruise control. Sometimes, you may need to brake, or swerve, or steer. Keep your feet and hands in the appropriate places as needed.

The false sense of security that ADAS can provide is why it’s more important to remind people to keep their attention on the road and hands on the wheel. ADAS is a helper, not a replacement.

Also, Lucid is supposed to be monitoring the driver's eyes for attentiveness, and whether or not a driver is holding the wheel has nothing to do with whether or not the driver is paying attention.
I’d be surprised if they don’t eventually switch to this, or add it as an option, but it has its own issues; you may need to adjust the wheel so the camera can see you, potentially, depending on your seating position. Moreover, if it sense that your eyes are straying, I have no doubt it’ll ask you to keep your hands on the wheel.

The driver having their hands on the wheel does not necessarily imply that they’re paying attention; that’s true. But it does necessarily mean that their reaction time is quicker, since the distance between hands and wheel doesn’t exist, so the time delay between “thought” and “action” is significantly faster, and that half second may mean the difference between colliding snd not.

If anything, it makes sense to monitor the driver's hands when ADAS is off, and if the driver is not holding the wheel and doesn't respond to warnings, turn ADAS on.
That’s an interesting idea. I could see it being really jarring for people who don’t expect it, but that might be an idea worth exploring!

It might also make sense to bring the car to a safe stop if possible, unless the driver somehow reacts by moving the wheel or taking some other action.
HA does this; if you don’t respond after repeated warnings to put your hands on the wheel, it will turn on the hazards and initiate an in-lane stop. This is illegal nearly everywhere, but the point is if you’re having a seizure or otherwise unable to respond, it may just save your life by alerting others to the issue.

I don’t actually think that’s a valid argument. In the case without ADAS, drivers know, by definition, that they need to have their hands on the wheel, because otherwise the car can’t steer.

With ADAS, a driver can become accustomed to the car steering for them, and rely on it to a flaw, when it definitely is neither billed as nor reviewed as automatic handsfree steering. Keeping your hands on the wheel is no different from not having your legs up on the dash when you are in cruise control. Sometimes, you may need to brake, or swerve, or steer. Keep your feet and hands in the appropriate places as needed.
Exactly, and nobody has to tell people constantly (or at all) not to keep their feet on the dashboard when using cruise control. Even keeping a foot over the accelerator takes more time to move it to the brakes than it takes to move your hands from your lap to the steering wheel, and I don't expect people to tie their hands behind their backs. Most of the reaction time is from whatever the driver is seeing registering as something that needs reacting to. In my experience, those things that need a quick reaction are the ones that ADAS handles much better than humans, and the ones that require taking over are ones that drivers tend to see well enough in advance. Regardless, being told to hold the wheel at all times and failing to do so is a lot like being told to pay attention at all times and failing to do so. In reality, people fail to pay attention, and that's when they have accidents. And they are almost always holding the wheel and likely driving a car without ADAS.

The false sense of security that ADAS can provide is why it’s more important to remind people to keep their attention on the road and hands on the wheel. ADAS is a helper, not a replacement.
MIT did a study years ago on Teslas. They expected to find that people paid less attention with Autopilot but ended up finding that people were equally attentive. A later study found that drivers spent less time looking at the road, but that could be attributed to changes making the driver regularly look at the screen for messages. I'd rather hear a tone than see a message flash if flashing a message necessarily means looking away from the road. Also, Tesla made their screens unnecessarily busy. It might show what the car sees ahead, but looking through the windshield will give a driver that information better. A head up display might help but I haven't seen actual studies showing that they result in fewer accidents.
I’d be surprised if they don’t eventually switch to this, or add it as an option, but it has its own issues; you may need to adjust the wheel so the camera can see you, potentially, depending on your seating position. Moreover, if it sense that your eyes are straying, I have no doubt it’ll ask you to keep your hands on the wheel.
That's a separate issue and I think Lucid screwed up with the position of the camera. Not only will it be blocked by the steering wheel in many positions, having the wheel tilt up when exiting the vehicle means that the car won't see whoever sits in it next in order to determine who it is. Another problem unrelated to the immediate topic is that it doesn't work very well. I get the message even if I have my eyes locked dead ahead and am looking exactly where I should be looking. They need to come up with a way to fix it, or to have a calibration step for each driver profile where it can learn what constitutes looking at the road for a given driver.

The driver having their hands on the wheel does not necessarily imply that they’re paying attention; that’s true. But it does necessarily mean that their reaction time is quicker, since the distance between hands and wheel doesn’t exist, so the time delay between “thought” and “action” is significantly faster, and that half second may mean the difference between colliding snd not.
From studies I've seen, reaction time based on an unexpected stimulus is about a full second. I doubt that moving hands from a person's lap to the wheel takes longer than hanging a finger at the bottom of the wheel to exert pressure and then having to reposition it. In the event of a sudden need for a maneuver, it might take both hands to react quickly, and having one hand on the wheel in the wrong position might make no difference. It certainly won't speed up getting both hands on the wheel.
That’s an interesting idea. I could see it being really jarring for people who don’t expect it, but that might be an idea worth exploring!

HA does this; if you don’t respond after repeated warnings to put your hands on the wheel, it will turn on the hazards and initiate an in-lane stop. This is illegal nearly everywhere, but the point is if you’re having a seizure or otherwise unable to respond, it may just save your life by alerting others to the issue.
Under normal circumstances, if a person stops responding and there's no pressure on the pedal, the car would come to a stop anyway. One with an engine and automatic transmission would keep rolling. HA does put on the hazard lights and come to a stop in theory, but anybody who isn't incapacitated would take over long before the car had a chance to do that. So if it ever happens in real life (aside from a test on an empty road by people who like to do that sort of thing) it's likely very necessary.

Back