Contactor Recall Megathread

Lucid is recalling some cars made before 11/1/22 for a contactor defect that can shut off power, but individual VIN numbers are not posted yet.
The PDF "Part 573 Report" on this NHTSA page LINK contains all the details. Recall does not include cars made after Nov. 1 2022
On the link above click Electric Motor May Shut Down then 3 Associated Documents to find the PDF to download.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I called one of the Lucid studio. They were able to look up my car and inform me if it was affected or not. Perhaps give it a try.

My 2020 Pacifica hybrid just got a recall for the risk of an electrical short in the wiring harness that may result in an engine shutdown. Apparently their fix is to install a software update that will alert the driver of the short and impending engine shutdown to allow the driver enough time to pull over. Not sure how this can be considered an appropriate fix...
Edit: apparently this software update isn't even available yet
I just got the software update on my 2021 Pacifica Hybrid. So now I will get a 1 minute warning before my vehicle loses power on the highway. This on a 5 year old model from a legacy car maker. I’m appreciating my Lucid more and more.

Lucid Group (LCID) recalled 637 Lucid Air electric vehicles due to a flaw that may cause the vehicle to lose power while in operation, Bloomberg reported, citing a March 23 filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The company said the flawed electrically activated switches could be found in the 2022 and 2023 model years of the Lucid Air, and the glitch "may lead to a loss of propulsion without pre-warning and may increase the risk of a crash," according to the filing cited by Bloomberg.

Lucid said its service centers will update the vehicle software and replace the switches for free, according to Bloomberg

The company didn't immediately respond to a request for comment from MT Newswires.

Nevertheless, I was clearly told that they cannot, and will only be reaching out to customers about the recall by direct email on or about April 21st.
According to posts on various threads here, CS cannot run a query against your car to check the status of the contactors. Lucid installed a monitor that is constantly running checking whether a threshold was crossed and how many times. That monitor would generate an exception if alarm conditions were met and it would uploaded to their server. This is how they know how many cars have this issue. It could be that Lucid is waiting to have contactors and a procedure for replacing them in place. It could be that the monitor has a low threshold to ensure catching culprits but out of 600 flagged cars, only 60 of them actually need to have the contactors replaced. But obviously there is a list of flagged cars.

Has anyone noticed their car “running” for no reason? Several times in the last few days, I’ve walked out into the garage sans fob (and I don’t do mobile key) and it was humming away rather than silently sleeping. A valet card unlock and lock silenced it, but I wonder if it’s related to this contractor monitoring…

Such problems don't only happen to vehicles from "brand new companies." They happen tp all manufacturers. Modern cars are complex, many parts are from outside sources, stuff happens.
Amen, nicely said. I am in agreement with communication needs to improve. But if I don’t get called back or emailed I’m nagging them instead of waiting to see if they call. They are busy I imagine but hats no excuse for the lack of communication from Lucid.

So after my last service, they followed up with me and I asked them If I was eligible for this recall ans the said I'm good/not affected 👍🏽

I received a letter from Lucid yesterday 11/22/23 notifying me that my car requires replacement of the contactors.
I thought Lucid had identified and resolved most of these problems months ago. Have others recently received this recall notice?

I received a letter from Lucid yesterday 11/22/23 notifying me that my car requires replacement of the contactors.
I thought Lucid had identified and resolved most of these problems months ago. Have others recently received this recall notice?
They have installed back end diagnostics in the last few updates. This allows them to better diagnose issues in the car. Maybe your contactors previously were on the brodeinr but with further diagnostics showed an issue. Either way, I'm glad they can proactively address issues. They are the first manufacturer I've heard doing things like this.

They have installed back end diagnostics in the last few updates. This allows them to better diagnose issues in the car. Maybe your contactors previously were on the brodeinr but with further diagnostics showed an issue. Either way, I'm glad they can proactively address issues. They are the first manufacturer I've heard doing things like this.
That makes sense. I wonder if they will identify many more cars that are out of the tolerance specs.

I just got my letter too.
The tech here in Utah said that the letter doesn't necessarily mean the contractors need to be replaced. He's going to run a test this week to determine if it has to go to the shop.

I took my AGT in for the annual maintenance and they said there is a recall on the contactors. That was on 11/10. Lena informed me that they are replacing the entire HV system. I am fine with a whole new HV pack. I hope to get the car back next week.

I took my AGT in for the annual maintenance and they said there is a recall on the contactors. That was on 11/10. Lena informed me that they are replacing the entire HV system. I am fine with a whole new HV pack. I hope to get the car back next week.
Is replacing the entire HV system standard on a contactor recall repair?

Is replacing the entire HV system standard on a contactor recall repair?
Not necessarily, but if they went in and found a code or discovered an issue that could absolutely cause a replacement.

I had and hit run on my left front bumper. While in the shop, they told me they had a recall to replace the battery and they said it was a huge job. I haven't had any communication from Lucid.

I had and hit run on my left front bumper. While in the shop, they told me they had a recall to replace the battery and they said it was a huge job. I haven't had any communication from Lucid.
Hoe long ago was this? And are they waiting for the damage to be repaired first?

Back