Connected Home Charger - Speed Decreasing on 100A Circuit

( @marqie ) Lucid should NOT be asking a lay person to take these measurement. Someone could get killed, and Lucid could be on the bad end of a large lawsuit.
 
Typically an electrician would use a clamp-on ammeter. That's who should be taking these measurements if you are not an electrician or electrical engineer.
It's easy enough to make a catastrophic mistake with a DVM, like having it set to measure current when you are trying to check voltage. Unpleasant surprises will result.

One thing that bugs me about this process: The car is measuring the voltage and current it is receiving, and the "connected " LCHCS is as well. But Lucid is asking layperson car owners to open the LCHCS with power on while charging and poke around with a meter. Dangerous.
I guess they’re implying hire an electrician to come in and do it but this whole process is sort of a red herring issue that doesn’t address the fundamental problem that started all of this over a year ago.
 
I guess they’re implying hire an electrician to come in and do it but this whole process is sort of a red herring issue that doesn’t address the fundamental problem that started all of this over a year ago.
Unless, indeed, the charger is the problem.

It was for me.

Keep in mind this may be a multifactorial issue, or at least have multiple causes with the same symptom.
 
Unless, indeed, the charger is the problem.

It was for me.

Keep in mind this may be a multifactorial issue, or at least have multiple causes with the same symptom.
My theory, albeit it’s only a theory is that the update in May 2025 changed something in the way the vehicle accepts level two charging. Whether knowingly or not, Lucid corrected the situation through a revision to their own level two charger but not as to anyone else using other chargers, that previously worked at full speed.

The beat goes on…
 
I just tried my 80A Lucid charger on the Gravity at my vacation home. It started out fine at 19kw, but when I checked it at 70%, it would go between 11kW and 14kw. After reaching 80% if would get the charged message repeatedly. I unplugged it at this time.

In the next morning I needed to charge to 100%. I set the charge time to 9:00pm and plugged in. Luckily it did not start. Later on I forced it to start charging. When it was at about 95% I noticed it was only charging at 11kW. I unplugged and plugged back in and it would cycle starting and stopping charging.

I decide to plug the car into my Gen-1 Tesla charger, which is sent to 72A (the highest for Gravity). It fired up and the car started charging at 17kW until it was at 100%.

So my conclusion is that there is something wrong with the Lucid charger. Or the software in the Gravity has some interaction with it - possibly the V2L stuff?


View attachment 38064
Replying to my own thread. After returning to our vacation home from our trip. I tried the Lucid charger at 80A again. It was ramping down the amperage, so I decided to try the Tesla Gen-1 Charger at 72A again. It too ramped down the amperage from 17kW to 11Kw as it approached 80% charge. Didn't wait until it got to 80%, because we had another 200 mile trip back to home.

So my previous conclusion that it was only related to the Lucid charger, is not correct, since it also exhibited this with the Tesla Gen-1 charger. I will have to take the Lucid Air to the vacation home to see if it too has a problem (or finally install Lucid charger at my main residence).
 
Replying to my own thread. After returning to our vacation home from our trip. I tried the Lucid charger at 80A again. It was ramping down the amperage, so I decided to try the Tesla Gen-1 Charger at 72A again. It too ramped down the amperage from 17kW to 11Kw as it approached 80% charge. Didn't wait until it got to 80%, because we had another 200 mile trip back to home.

So my previous conclusion that it was only related to the Lucid charger, is not correct, since it also exhibited this with the Tesla Gen-1 charger. I will have to take the Lucid Air to the vacation home to see if it too has a problem (or finally install Lucid charger at my main residence).

Sounds about right!
 
Update on my side.

I was one of the ones that went through with the LCHCS replacement under warranty back end of October 2025. The situation seemed to be resolved with a V3 unit... until recently.

Last week I noticed that my car was fluctuating between 7 and 8 kw. I had to do an Air logo reset for something else, and it *seemed* to be better for a day or two after that. Today, I noticed that it was down to 8kw again.

I will be calling customer care tomorrow and see how it goes. Will post here when I have any new updates.
 
Update on my side.

I was one of the ones that went through with the LCHCS replacement under warranty back end of October 2025. The situation seemed to be resolved with a V3 unit... until recently.

Last week I noticed that my car was fluctuating between 7 and 8 kw. I had to do an Air logo reset for something else, and it *seemed* to be better for a day or two after that. Today, I noticed that it was down to 8kw again.

I will be calling customer care tomorrow and see how it goes. Will post here when I have any new updates.
Add another notch to the “it’s the software” side of things.
 
I'm interested in hearing the answer to this as well. Before I go through the rigmarole of replacing the charger which seemed to be working fine prior to this update but I can't be 100% sure of that.
Did you ever resolve your charging issue? I recently installed the newest NACS version and I start at 18kW (21% battery and decrease to 11kW 70-80% battery. Customer care told me that there are not software updates and was really discouraging me from connecting my charger to WiFi as there was no value. I insisted just to get it done but I confess I do not see the value in the connection either?
 
Did you ever resolve your charging issue? I recently installed the newest NACS version and I start at 18kW (21% battery and decrease to 11kW 70-80% battery. Customer care told me that there are not software updates and was really discouraging me from connecting my charger to WiFi as there was no value. I insisted just to get it done but I confess I do not see the value in the connection either?
Candidly I wouldn’t trust one person on the phone vs the history in this thread. It’s pretty clear the theory started a year ago with that update in May 2025. The only “fix” has potentially been a revision to Lucids home charger but even that isn’t 100%.
 
Did you ever resolve your charging issue? I recently installed the newest NACS version and I start at 18kW (21% battery and decrease to 11kW 70-80% battery. Customer care told me that there are not software updates and was really discouraging me from connecting my charger to WiFi as there was no value. I insisted just to get it done but I confess I do not see the value in the connection either?
Yes I now have the V3 one and it seems fine so far.
 
Yes I now have the V3 one and it seems fine so far.
You must mean a J1772 V3 model (‘-3’ at the end of the model designator), because as far as I know, the NACS models are still at ‘-1’ based on their model designator.
 
You must mean a J1772 V3 model (‘-3’ at the end of the model designator), because as far as I know, the NACS models are still at ‘-1’ based on their model designator.
Yes J1772 v3
 
Did you ever resolve your charging issue? I recently installed the newest NACS version and I start at 18kW (21% battery and decrease to 11kW 70-80% battery. Customer care told me that there are not software updates and was really discouraging me from connecting my charger to WiFi as there was no value. I insisted just to get it done but I confess I do not see the value in the connection either?
Why is it going slower to the end with ac charging!? Shouldn't be the charging curve be the exact full power from 0 to 100?
 
I've never experienced a major problem after an update, but after 2.9 the car keeps down-grading my charging amperage. I've never had the problem. I have a 48 amp hardwired charger on its own circuit. That means the car can charge at 40 amps. The charger has never had a problem and I know it is receiving full power from the entrance (circuit breaker) panel. Since the update, my 2023 Lucid Air drops down to the teens when charging. I raise the new limiter in the car back to 40 amps and return an hour later and it's back down to about 19 amps. I have done the three-pronged reset, but it makes no difference. Can anyone here or at Lucid explain this?
 
I've never experienced a major problem after an update, but after 2.9 the car keeps down-grading my charging amperage. I've never had the problem. I have a 48 amp hardwired charger on its own circuit. That means the car can charge at 40 amps. The charger has never had a problem and I know it is receiving full power from the entrance (circuit breaker) panel. Since the update, my 2023 Lucid Air drops down to the teens when charging. I raise the new limiter in the car back to 40 amps and return an hour later and it's back down to about 19 amps. I have done the three-pronged reset, but it makes no difference. Can anyone here or at Lucid explain this?
Have you tried this at a friend's or neighbor's L2 charging station? It would cut the range of possibilities in half.
 
Possibly ignorant question, but I have breezed through this thread and still wondering how you guys now your charging rate has dropped. Is it just by checking the app from time to time?
 
Possibly ignorant question, but I have breezed through this thread and still wondering how you guys now your charging rate has dropped. Is it just by checking the app from time to time?
That, or checking inside the car, or using Home Assistant or some other consumer of the API.
 
Possibly ignorant question, but I have breezed through this thread and still wondering how you guys now your charging rate has dropped. Is it just by checking the app from time to time?
Yes, that's how I have checked it. I'm picking up my Gravity tomorrow from the service center where they checked the rate decrease based on screenshots I sent them. This was part of some other work they performed. Here is what they said:

Job: 12 Charging Products​
​
Pay Type: Warranty​
​
Concern: Customer states that when charging on Level 2 chargers, the vehicle displays a rate reduction and the charging kW decreases. Photos have​
been attached as needed. Please check and advise.​
​
Cause: Can not verify abnormal charging operation.​
​
Corrections: Vehicle came in with SOC 68%.​
​
Tested vehicle charging - vehicle is charging as designed.​
Scanned and reviewed fault memory - no related DTCs found.​
Customer's 1st pictures shows a charging rate of 13kW with 1 hour and 5 minuets of charging left before set limit of 80% achieved.​
2Nd picture shows the rate slowed down to 11kW with 25 minuets of charging left before set limit of 80% achieved.​
EV charging automatically slows down as the battery approaches its set limit to protect battery health. This "tapering" prosses is managed by the​
"Tapering" when approaching the end of charging session is a normal charging function.​
​
Technician IDs: 018692​
​
Labor Description Action Total Price​
HV Electrical General Diagnosis HV Electrical General Diagnosis Diagnostic 0.0​
​
Note: I actually charged it at the service center 80A J1772 charger while waiting for my ride, so the decrease in charge rate and my screenshot were taken at the dealership. I had the maximum set to 80%.

P.S. I think this is a bullshit explanation
 
Back
Top