Comparable to Lucid Grand Touring?

So I spoke with Lucid today regarding where the servicing location for the NY & tri-state area would be. They claimed there will be ‘satellite locations’ to handle service that the service vans can’t. What are satellite locations and where will they be? The satellite locations are servicing facilities that do work on other cars where Lucid will ‘rent space’ and have trained Lucid employees and equipment to do the work. That’s a new one. Has anyone heard that?

Where will these facilities be located? Lucid doesn’t know at this point, but since the NY tri-state area is so large, they’ll definitely have something, somewhere, some time.

This feels similar to my discussion with Polestar Corporate in Switzerland. The bottom line is they’re not sure, but don’t worry.

I also questioned about the latest thinking of when the Pure production might begin, but someone will get back to me on that with better information. His best guess was some time in 2022, but unlikely extending into 2023. Glad I got all of this nailed down. ;)

So I spoke with Lucid today regarding where the servicing location for the NY & tri-state area would be. They claimed there will be ‘satellite locations’ to handle service that the service vans can’t. What are satellite locations and where will they be? The satellite locations are servicing facilities that do work on other cars where Lucid will ‘rent space’ and have trained Lucid employees and equipment to do the work. That’s a new one. Has anyone heard that?

Where will these facilities be located? Lucid doesn’t know at this point, but since the NY tri-state area is so large, they’ll definitely have something, somewhere, some time.

This feels similar to my discussion with Polestar Corporate in Switzerland. The bottom line is they’re not sure, but don’t worry.

I also questioned about the latest thinking of when the Pure production might begin, but someone will get back to me on that with better information. His best guess was some time in 2022, but unlikely extending into 2023. Glad I got all of this nailed down. ;)

This jives. When we were at the opening of the Millbrae service location, they were showing off the body and paint training shop (which had a bunch of chassis that were empty) that they said shops from all over the world were coming to train at to get Lucid certified. Lucid will be providing parts and materials to those shops to work on the car in places where they don’t have a service center, but only after they’ve been certified at Millbrae (or another Lucid location, presumably). Those must be the “satellite” shops.

This jives. When we were at the opening of the Millbrae service location, they were showing off the body and paint training shop (which had a bunch of chassis that were empty) that they said shops from all over the world were coming to train at to get Lucid certified. Lucid will be providing parts and materials to those shops to work on the car in places where they don’t have a service center, but only after they’ve been certified at Millbrae (or another Lucid location, presumably). Those must be the “satellite” shops.

Rivian might be taking the same approach, as one of our local exotic car dealers has reportedly been seeking to be certified as a Rivian service depot.

It makes sense, as current car service technicians are a natural talent source to be trained to work on EV powertrains. Most of the Tesla mobile service reps I have met worked at ICE shops beforehand. In fact, the mechanic who used to service my Audi R8s was the first Tesla mobile technician to come to my house after I switched to a Tesla.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I’m going to hang in there, and hope I can get my vin this month, hence qualifying for the fed tax rebate. Nothing currently excites me like the lucid gt

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I’m going to hang in there, and hope I can get my vin this month, hence qualifying for the fed tax rebate. Nothing currently excites me like the lucid gt
Getting just a VIN, unfortunately, does not qualify you for the tax rebate. You need a valid purchase contract for that.

Getting just a VIN, unfortunately, does not qualify you for the tax rebate. You need a valid purchase contract for that.

Correct. And don't think getting a VIN means your car is just around the corner. I got my VIN for a Dream Edition on November 19, didn't get the Purchase Agreemenet until December 11, and still have no indication of a delivery date.

Does the purchase agreement constitute a proof of sale to qualify for the tax credit in 2021? Is the distinction between an 'agreement' and a 'contract' appear as it seems, with the contract fulfilling what's necessary for the credit? Or, do you need to take actual delivery of the car regardless if there is already a signed 'contract'.

Does the purchase agreement constitute a proof of sale to qualify for the tax credit in 2021? Is the distinction between an 'agreement' and a 'contract' appear as it seems, with the contract fulfilling what's necessary for the credit? Or, do you need to take actual delivery of the car regardless if there is already a signed 'contract'.
I think that, for example, in my case where I have a purchase agreement, an odometer statement, an application for registration and have paid for the vehicle, there is no need to take physical delivery in 2021, unless there is more paperwork to sign at delivery to indicate ownership.

I think that, for example, in my case where I have a purchase agreement, an odometer statement, an application for registration and have paid for the vehicle, there is no need to take physical delivery in 2021, unless there is more paperwork to sign at delivery to indicate ownership.
You’re probably right, but I’d suggest you get definitive confirmation of that.

You’re probably right, but I’d suggest you get definitive confirmation of that.
I’ll find out when the car is delivered (in a few weeks, hopefully) and see what kind of paperwork they deliver it with.

The biggest one I could see is the transfer of title paperwork.

The phrase used in the IRS instructions (Form 8936) to describe qualification for the credit is:
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
I take this to mean that you must have the car in your possession and registered with the DMV as being eligible for use on public roads in order to quality for the tax credit.

On another thread the question came up about the Lucid Air not yet being listed on the IRS table of eligible vehicles. According to the IRS, a buyer can rely on the manufacturer's representation, either in writing or on its website, that the car is eligible, as long as the manufacturer has submitted the eligibility proof to the IRS which, apparently, does not publish a comprehensive list of manufacturers who have done so.

That jives with my prior years claims of the $7,500 credit. The phrase ‘placed in service’ rings true. I do think that’s the criteria the IRS uses.

So, I’m almost at my breaking point with Lucid, and losing the tax credit that they have been marketing to me for the last year and a half (I submitted my deposit in April ‘20) might just push me over the edge. So, what are other, similar fun/nice cars that people are considering?
Is the tax credit not available in 2022?

Is the tax credit not available in 2022?
Biden’s proposal (BBB), which is only one vote away from being approved (Manchin) by the Senate, will put a cap on EVs that qualify for the tax credit (at like 50 or 60k, I think), which is much less than the cost of a lucid. So, assuming it’s passed early in the year, there is a decent chance that they will make it retroactive to Jan 1, thus meaning any purchasers of a lucid will not quality.

Correct. And don't think getting a VIN means your car is just around the corner. I got my VIN for a Dream Edition on November 19, didn't get the Purchase Agreemenet until December 11, and still have no indication of a delivery date.
I got my VIN just a couple weeks before you and took delivery on 12/10. However, I got my purchase agreement 1 or 2 days after VIN. Hopefully you are only a week or 2 away.

Biden’s proposal (BBB), which is only one vote away from being approved (Manchin) by the Senate, will put a cap on EVs that qualify for the tax credit (at like 50 or 60k, I think), which is much less than the cost of a lucid. So, assuming it’s passed early in the year, there is a decent chance that they will make it retroactive to Jan 1, thus meaning any purchasers of a lucid will not quality.

Congress has given tax breaks retroactively.

Has congress ever taken away tax breaks retroactively?

Congress has given tax breaks retroactively.

Has congress ever taken away tax breaks retroactively?
I can’t ever recall a retroactive removal of a tax break. I’ve mentioned this before, but some think it can be done. Of course Congress can do whatever it wants, but I think it would be very unusual for a case like this.

In the ultimate ‘wisdom‘ of Congress, the proposed MSRP limits are far higher for trucks and SUVs, the very vehicles they’d like to see less of on the roads, than cars.

I can’t ever recall a retroactive removal of a tax break. I’ve mentioned this before, but some think it can be done. Of course Congress can do whatever it wants, but I think it would be very unusual for a case like this.

In the ultimate ‘wisdom‘ of Congress, the proposed MSRP limits are far higher for trucks and SUVs, the very vehicles they’d like to see less of on the roads, than cars.

The difference in MSRP limits between sedans and trucks/SUVs is ridiculous. I agree that we should be pushing more people into sedans and less into trucks and SUVs. If anything this promotes the wrong type of vehicle. I'll use a specific example. The Polestar 2 and the Volvo XC40 EV are based on the same platform. The Polestar is a sedan and the Volvo XC40 an SUV. The Polestar is more efficient based on the EPA ratings. Even though both are about the same price and based on the same platform, the Polestar will lose the tax credit on higher optioned cars versus the Volvo will keep the credit. Doesn't make sense. Same goes for the Model 3 and the Model Y. High option Model 3's will not qualify, but the Model Y will.

I don't mind an MSRP limit. I get that most of us buying $100+ vehicles don't need the credit or the incentive. But the MSRP limit should apply equally to all vehicle classes. If anything maybe it should be applied based on the vehicle efficiency. My $140k Air Grand Touring will be a lot more efficient than a Rivian R1T truck or a Cybertruck. Like it or not making electricity still pollutes and should be minimized if possible.

The only thing I’d add is that, as I understand it, the MSRP is based on the base price of that particular model. So if you add $10,000 worth of options, that won’t impact the MSRP level of that car for which the credit is based upon..

Back