Charge availabili

DuaneCorcoran

Cars
Lucid Air Dream
DE Number
I live in rural western Arkansas. I was planning a trip a few weeks ago for our first big road trip in our Lucid to Gulf Shores. Our possible routes took us through Louisianna and Mississippi to Mobile then on to Gulf Shores. To find charging stations I used ChargeHubEv app. Throughout Louisianna there were few level 3 charge stations. I tracked our planned route for a couple weeks monitoring charge station availability. To my disappointment most the charge stations we would have to use showed no availability most of the time. My questions are are you finding a waiting line at many of the charge locations or is the app incorrect for status of charge stations. I’m curious what others real world experience has been so far. This is concerning. We scratched taking our Lucid and decided to take our gas burner and a suitcase full of gas money. 😔

I live in rural western Arkansas. I was planning a trip a few weeks ago for our first big road trip in our Lucid to Gulf Shores. Our possible routes took us through Louisianna and Mississippi to Mobile then on to Gulf Shores. To find charging stations I used ChargeHubEv app. Throughout Louisianna there were few level 3 charge stations. I tracked our planned route for a couple weeks monitoring charge station availability. To my disappointment most the charge stations we would have to use showed no availability most of the time. My questions are are you finding a waiting line at many of the charge locations or is the app incorrect for status of charge stations. I’m curious what others real world experience has been so far. This is concerning. We scratched taking our Lucid and decided to take our gas burner and a suitcase full of gas money. 😔
This is the first time I've heard of chargehubev. Most people use ABRP to plan the route and/or PlugShare to check the status of chargers. Can't speak to that particular region about charger availability though. California and the SW US are different animals when it comes to charger locations

Sample trip here

Screenshot_20220319-074311_ABRP.jpg

I live in Mena on west side of the state. The Lucid route plotted a route no problem. The issue was the stations showed unavailable the majority of the time so had me concerned. I didn’t want to arrive at a station and have extensive wait before charging. In Louisianna the distance between Charge America charge stations is extensive. Even Tesla station along I10 was full with 30 cars waiting this past Friday afternoon.

This is the first time I've heard of chargehubev. Most people use ABRP to plan the route and/or PlugShare to check the status of chargers. Can't speak to that particular region about charger availability though. California and the SW US are different animals when it comes to charger locations
Question. When you use ABRP, how accurate do you find it in predicting battery levels and consumption. Is it conservative? Yes I know it depends upon how you drive.

Question. When you use ABRP, how accurate do you find it in predicting battery levels and consumption. Is it conservative? Yes I know it depends upon how you drive.
It's "goodish" I think they take the EPA numbers as a default until they get more data and feedback from users with that particular car. So for us, we need to be more conservative than their already conservative estimates.

An App called “ A Better Routeplanner” for EVs. It has settings for Lucid.
When it picks locations e route for charging does it update as you get closer to show current availability?

When it picks locations e route for charging does it update as you get closer to show current availability?
Unfortunately, no, that is something unique to the supercharger network. You can get updated availability on the EA app, but it's not integrated. The Lucid map will show you availability at a charging station, but currently does not update the status of that charger in real time like the supercharger network does. It does take a little more foresight and planning to make a trip, the good thing is that charging stops are less frequent and also, if planned correctly, you can skip a charging stop altogether if it's too busy or down.

We have a supermarket near us off a major Interstate with 10 Tesla and 2 EA charging stations. On weekends they are always full with 6-10 EV’s waiting. Odd day long trips are on my schedule until there are more stations available.

If you are waiting at a charging site with six to eight other vehicles how does one know who is next in line to get an empty charger?

It's "goodish" I think they take the EPA numbers as a default until they get more data and feedback from users with that particular car. So for us, we need to be more conservative than their already conservative estimates.
It lets you set any mi/kWhr at 65 mph, max speed relative to speed limits, battery degradation, passenger and cargo weight. I don't know how good the calculations are, but you can set numbers that should make it very accurate.

We have a supermarket near us off a major Interstate with 10 Tesla and 2 EA charging stations. On weekends they are always full with 6-10 EV’s waiting. Odd day long trips are on my schedule until there are more stations available.

If you are waiting at a charging site with six to eight other vehicles how does one know who is next in line to get an empty charger?
Honor system!

I live in Mena on west side of the state. The Lucid route plotted a route no problem. The issue was the stations showed unavailable the majority of the time so had me concerned. I didn’t want to arrive at a station and have extensive wait before charging. In Louisianna the distance between Charge America charge stations is extensive. Even Tesla station along I10 was full with 30 cars waiting this past Friday afternoon.
I live in Dallas and often drive to rural south Arkansas to visit my father. I also struggle with the same concerns you have. I don’t have an EV yet but have reserved. Between Dallas and El Dorado I have ONE fast charger option, an EA location off of I-30 in Mount Pleasant TX. On I-20 there are literally no options. Not a single fast charger all the way into northern Louisiana. This is why I quickly boiled down my options to Lucid or Tesla. Tesla has plenty of fast chargers so no issue there but I don’t really want a Tesla so am waiting on a Lucid.

I live in Dallas and often drive to rural south Arkansas to visit my father. I also struggle with the same concerns you have. I don’t have an EV yet but have reserved. Between Dallas and El Dorado I have ONE fast charger option, an EA location off of I-30 in Mount Pleasant TX. On I-20 there are literally no options. Not a single fast charger all the way into northern Louisiana. This is why I quickly boiled down my options to Lucid or Tesla. Tesla has plenty of fast chargers so no issue there but I don’t really want a Tesla so am waiting on a Lucid.
In same boat. Live in D & go to Marshall (155mi trip) often. Exactly why I’m choosing GT. Finally time for me to go EV.

How long is that trip?

No need to charge! just take your mobile charger with you!
That’s my hope when I get the Pure and that’s why I focused on an EV with the most range. Or course the GT has even more but a bit out of my price range.

I’ll also have to install a 220v plug at my dads but it’s worth it.

The lack of ‘available’ charging stations is one reason why I waited for a Lucid. I really wanted at least 500 miles to 1000km range. Before Lucid, Tesla was the only one with a decent range, but I still found it lacking. On a long trip, I should only have to charge once on the road before reaching my destination where I can charge overnight. With the Lucid’s range, I can stop when there is a free charging station and not because I am about to run out of battery power. The exception will be some stretches where there is only one EA site. In that case, I would probably pay to use a different company rather than waiting in line to charge. I’ve experienced the waits at EVgo stations with the Leaf (they had 2 years of free charging with them) and I would rather not to wait for 30’ to an hour just to plug in the car.

Back