CarPlay connectivity needs improvement.

blueice89

Cars
Lucid 22”AGT quantum
I feel like my CarPlay connectivity is just not very reliable I think it’s working 50% of the time do others struggle this? Many times I step into the car and I it’s very common I stop somewhere get out of my car like let my kids out walk them to class and get back in and CarPlay isn’t connected. I have the latest 2.1.60 and seems it’s getting worse. Do others deal with this? Why doesn’t car play reconnect if you open the door and leave car momentarily Like few minutes…
Is this a Lucid issue or Apple issue? When this happens I have to play all these games while driving like switch my phone to airplane mode and then switch off and then press connect button on Lucid after doing this a couple times it comes back but this is really getting annoying had to vent. How often does your car play work ? What are tips to keep a constant connection? At this point I would take wired CarPlay if it’s 100% reliable …

I feel like my CarPlay connectivity is just not very reliable I think it’s working 50% of the time do others struggle this? Many times I step into the car and I it’s very common I stop somewhere get out of my car like let my kids out walk them to class and get back in and CarPlay isn’t connected. I have the latest 2.1.60 and seems it’s getting worse. Do others deal with this? Why doesn’t car play reconnect if you open the door and leave car momentarily Like few minutes…
Is this a Lucid issue or Apple issue? When this happens I have to play all these games while driving like switch my phone to airplane mode and then switch off and then press connect button on Lucid after doing this a couple times it comes back but this is really getting annoying had to vent. How often does your car play work ? What are tips to keep a constant connection? At this point I would take wired CarPlay if it’s 100% reliable …
Delete everything and start over.

Do you know how far you walk away from the car when dropping your kids (in feet, preferably)? Bluetooth has a limited range, which could cause it to drop out. In conclusion, it could probably be the fault of either Apple's bluetooth chip, or the Air's receiving bluetooth chip if it is worsening.

Do you know how far you walk away from the car when dropping your kids? Bluetooth has a limited range, which could cause it to drop out. In conclusion, it could probably be the fault of either Apple's bluetooth chip, or the Air's receiving bluetooth chip if it is worsening.
About 500 steps

About 500 steps
If you had the latest iPhone, there would be a max of 33 feet for bluetooth. This explains why your connection is dropping out, and is expected. If you did want to keep carplay at all costs, you COULD use a wired connection, but when you get out of the car the phone will have to stay. It's theoretically a general bluetooth "problem," but this is completely normal and is expected behavior.

Mine hasn’t worked at all since 2.52 but I also haven’t spent much time trying to fix it honestly. Every time I get in the car I’ve ignored it unless I absolutely need google maps. Then I have to go to settings and toggle car play(off then back on). I don’t rely on it too much anyways and there’s times where I don’t want to tinker with the car to get things to work. It’s on the list to tinker with and fix permanently but low priority.

Mine hasn’t worked at all since 2.52 but I also haven’t spent much time trying to fix it honestly. Every time I get in the car I’ve ignored it unless I absolutely need google maps. Then I have to go to settings and toggle car play(off then back on). I don’t rely on it too much anyways and there’s times where I don’t want to tinker with the car to get things to work. It’s on the list to tinker with and fix permanently but low priority.
Mine works fine every time. Considered deleting everything from the car as well as the phone and then starting over.

Mine works 100% of the time. No problems at all. Had my car almost 1 month.

Mine works fine every time. Considered deleting everything from the car as well as the phone and then starting over.
Oh 100%. I’m sure that will fix it. I just haven’t got around to tinkering with it. Just an anecdotal experience that my car play also became unreliable after the update. Definitely fixable as is OPs problem but it’s still is a software lump that users face.

Mine connects fine, but I find other oddities once connected. For example, I receive phone calls and hear the audio but the other end cannot hear me speaking. It seems like the Lucid phone connectivity sometimes competes with Carplay connectivity. Also, I will play a podcast from Carplay and sometimes there is nothing audible in the car even though the podcast is playing.

I have totally adapted to the absence of Carplay in my wife's Rivian when I drive it; I am now considering removing it altogether in the Lucid and sticking with Lucid's infotainment apps.

Mine connects fine, but I find other oddities once connected. For example, I receive phone calls and hear the audio but the other end cannot hear me speaking. It seems like the Lucid phone connectivity sometimes competes with Carplay connectivity. Also, I will play a podcast from Carplay and sometimes there is nothing audible in the car even though the podcast is playing.

I have totally adapted to the absence of Carplay in my wife's Rivian when I drive it; I am now considering removing it altogether in the Lucid and sticking with Lucid's infotainment apps.
At least for the issue with podcasts, check your phone. I'll bet it's playing out regular old Bluetooth rather than CarPlay. I don't know why it does this, but all it takes is a couple taps to switch it back. If you have the "now playing" widget on your lock screen, there's likely a car icon indicating the Bluetooth audio output. Tap it and choose the CarPlay (play button inside a C) option instead.

@blueice89 When you walk away, are you locking your car and letting it sleep? Mine only ever has trouble if I walk out of range with the car unlocked / awake, then come back.

I’ve had similar CarPlay issues to you, particularly when pairing my wife’s phone to the car via Bluetooth even though we don’t use CarPlay on her phone in my car. So I deleted the car from the phone in Bluetooth settings, deleted it from CarPlay in the phone, then deleted both my phone and my wife’s phone from Bluetooth in the car, then repaired my phone to the Lucid by holding the microphone button on the steering wheel, and now CarPlay is much more reliable.

The thing I hate the most, is when I’m using Apple Maps in CarPlay to navigate to a destination and have passengers with me, and part of the way there in some busy intersection, CarPlay just disappears, and the icon to relaunch CarPlay is gone, and I have to quickly enter the destination into the native nav system while driving. This has made me skittish about trusting CarPlay dependability and stick with the native navigation most of the time.

I went through the whole “delete everything” routine when I upgraded my phone a month ago, but still occasionally have very sketchy CarPlay reliability.

It’s definitely become worse since last update. It will connect sometimes and sometimes CarPlay will disconnect while driving. And restarting it will give the freezing screen with CarPlay starting message. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting Bluetooth will work and sometimes not. If not connecting at all - then deleting the lucid in the Bluetooth settings or going into iPhone and forgetting the lucid under CarPlay and then repairing the Bluetooth from scratch will get it working again. Super annoying. Hope Lucid fixes it. In my other cars wireless CarPlay works without any disconnections.

I agree that carplay can be invaluable, but access is spotty and unreliable. More difficult than it has to be.

Carplay worked for me on and off. then..with yesterday's OTA update...i can SEE carplay, but Siri won;t answer and I can't hear anything playing...deleting eveything is truly a PITA. love the car but super frustrated with all this.

Yep, software needs another jump up. Great progress since 1.0, now keys and CarPlay are what most customers find most frustrating.

I have the same issues as other here after the update, sometimes carplay won't connect the entire day. Even after multiple resets, deletion of phone to car, etc. Also as other said here, you will be fine and then the carplay will disconnect.

I’ve had horrible issues with CarPlay and the lucid built in phone system. It feels like the car doesn’t know what to use to answer the phone and I have to push calls to my phone speaker. They really need to fix this!

Back