Car Abruptly Stops Because of Vehicle 2 Lanes Away

miamicanes

Cars
Dream Performance
DE Number
Anyone had this happen? After dropping my wife off at FLL yesterday morning, I began pulling out into the thru traffic lanes and the car came to a complete and abrupt stop, from about 5mph. So I didn’t have my signal on, as there was nobody in the lane I was creeping into but when it stopped, about halfway into the lane next to me, it popped up the left signal camera, sounded and turned red. Naturally, I (and the car to my right that was unloading) said, wtf! The car that it had identified as potential collision was 20 feet from me and in a different lane! I chalked it up to a one off, but it wasn‘t. Today I had an even more bizarre thing happen where it did the same thing. Without drawing a picture of the parking garage I was in, it’ll be difficult to explain but this time I was 40-50 feet from the other car and not even on the same row. Lol.

Is that the cross traffic thing stopping you? I have never experienced that. I haven't had any abrupt stops after turning off park comfort braking

Anyone had this happen? After dropping my wife off at FLL yesterday morning, I began pulling out into the thru traffic lanes and the car came to a complete and abrupt stop, from about 5mph. So I didn’t have my signal on, as there was nobody in the lane I was creeping into but when it stopped, about halfway into the lane next to me, it popped up the left signal camera, sounded and turned red. Naturally, I (and the car to my right that was unloading) said, wtf! The car that it had identified as potential collision was 20 feet from me and in a different lane! I chalked it up to a one off, but it wasn‘t. Today I had an even more bizarre thing happen where it did the same thing. Without drawing a picture of the parking garage I was in, it’ll be difficult to explain but this time I was 40-50 feet from the other car and not even on the same row. Lol.

I’ve never seen that happen yet. *Could* you draw us a picture?

Do you have anything that might interfere with the sensors? (Wrap, etc.)?

And definitely report it to service; they can pull logs from the time it happened and figure out what went wrong.

And although this issue isn’t even indicative of potential FSD problems, far from it, it highlights what I’ve said before, I don’t trust driving to these cars.

Is that the cross traffic thing stopping you?
Yes, I believe it is but it’s overly aggressive, so to speak. In both instances I was at a point where the lanes or rows curved, so my car was at a 90 degree angle to the other car that the cross traffic picked up on.

Haha, your not kidding there. Almost third world driving here.
Third world is crowded, but not necessarily more crash prone. Bad drivers are bad drivers in "first, second, and third" world settings.

Yes, I believe it is but it’s overly aggressive, so to speak. In both instances I was at a point where the lanes or rows curved, so my car was at a 90 degree angle to the other car that the cross traffic picked up on.
Were they in front of you? What software version are you on? (Edit: Asking to see if they were in range of active long-range sensors, not just cameras and ultrasonic)

(Putting on my self driving software hat from a previous employer)

Guessing here, but the ADAS features in the new software seem to be using more sensor data than before (LiDAR and RADAR in addition to camera and ultrasonic). One of the challenges with ADAS is sensor fusion where multiple inputs are used to create an environmental picture from which the software makes decisions.

The only thing I can think of here is the system misinterpreted data during aggregation and/or misread the potential outcomes of the other car's movement. Basically, the software produces a "probability cone" where certain outcomes of the object vs. your car are interpreted and ranked in terms of probability. The computer is trying to figure out how likely it is the other car will do something, such as turn towards you suddenly, and it sounds like a miscalculation of probability.

Really reaching here, but when I saw this before the cars didn't interpret the lanes properly (assumed the cross traffic may move closer because the lanes weren't well marked) or simply made a higher probability assumption of the other car swerving than they should. This can be fixed pretty fast in the software based on the log data and is clearly a safety issue, so I'd definitely send it to Lucid ASAP.

Third world is crowded, but not necessarily more crash prone. Bad drivers are bad drivers in "first, second, and third" world settings.
Oh, so true. So very, very true.

New Zealand backroads, rural China and Italy anywhere are just as bad as Peru and Thailand. You get all kinds everywhere you go.

Third world tends to be lawless and that’s what driving in South Florida often feels like. Driving in Germany is very different than driving in Moldova, for example.

70123393-EB8F-44E6-9D93-55FCABDD5D90.png

I think I get what happened here: you were going to turn across traffic and there was a car that might pull out into traffic, correct?

At this angle, the other car is not covered by long range active sensors, so this probably is being checked by cameras at long range only (ultrasonic doesn't reliably get more than 20-30ft last I checked).

I think I get what happened here: you were going to turn across traffic and there was a car that might pull out into traffic, correct?

At this angle, the other car is not covered by long range active sensors, so this probably is being checked by cameras at long range only (ultrasonic doesn't reliably get more than 20-30ft last I checked).
In my awful drawing, those are parking spaces. This is not something that should happen and likely can easily be replicated by anyone that gives it a try.

Yes, I had this exact problem. It’s a thing. Lucid took my car for about 3 days and fixed it. I thought it had to do with the sensors being set ridiculously high, which they were. Lucid did not acknowledge what the issue or the solution was.

Back