Canadian Rockies? Banff-Jasper

Unmutual

Cars
Unverified AGT Owner :)
Anyone have experience taking EVs to the Canadian Rockies, specifically Banff-Lake Louise-Jasper? I'm looking at taking the AGT from the Seattle area but the charging infrastructure, especially in and around Banff, seems pretty pathetic--only Level 2 charging in Banff, according to all the websites. Our hotel in Banff has two Level 2 Tesla Destination charges, which is fine since I have the adapter, but I suspect there will be lots of competition for charges at the peak of tourist season. Jasper seems OK, but first I have to get there from Banff by going over a 6800' mountain pass and I'll want a full battery ....

Well, anyways .... Back safely. We did take the AGT and with prudent planning had no unusual charging issues. I can report that Electrify Canada is no better than Electrify America when it comes to charger availability, although once charging started it completed without problems. Banff in fact has no fast chargers, but I was able to snag a Level II at our hotel and took the charge up to 98% for the run to Jasper. There are three 50 kW chargers in Jasper, plus numerous Level IIs in public areas. Electrify Canada will work with credit cards, but Petro-Canada, BC Hydro, Shell ReCharge and Flo require that you have an app or an RFID card. ChargePoint was supposed to work at chargers that take Flo, but I could never get it to work and so had to download the local apps. Given the generally poor cell service in these fairly remote areas, do yourself a favor and before leaving for your trip get every charging app you could anticipate using and load $20 on them in order to avoid unnecessary pain and suffering.

The car was quite efficient on this trip--I'd say we averaged around 3.9 miles/kWh through the many, many ups and downs over the 1400-mile round trip, and on one long run got 4.4, which was the best I've ever seen. The GT again confirmed that it is a wonderful grand tourer.

Moving past the car report, construction on the Trans-Canada highway from Kamloops to Banff is really miserable, and there was a ton of wildfire smoke as well. The smoke got better our last day in Banff, but was bad again when we took the big gondola (SkyTram) in Jasper.

Back