Body damage to the roof and hood

I’m not going through my insurance because the other party admitte fault. If I file the claim, I would owe my deductible, lose my perfect driver rebate, and suffer higher premiums down the road. That could total $1,500-2,000. I would rather just enforce the legal responsibility of the other party’s insurance carrier.
So long as your insurance company doesn’t mark the incident as your fault, none of this is true. They will get back all their money, and you will get your deductible back, through a process called subrogation. It takes a few months for the deductible to be returned. But the advantage is that your insurance company handles everything, including haggling with their insurance company.

A number of folks here have reported that insurance companies of the folks who damaged their cars try their best to get away with not paying what you are owed. Then you have to argue with them yourself to demand proper compensation.

Personally, having done it both ways, I prefer to let insurance companies talk to insurance companies. I can wait for my small deductible to be returned to me.

I’m not going through my insurance because the other party admitte fault. If I file the claim, I would owe my deductible, lose my perfect driver rebate, and suffer higher premiums down the road. That could total $1,500-2,000. I would rather just enforce the legal responsibility of the other party’s insurance carrier.
Double check with your insurer, but that is not true. You would owe your deductible, yes, but your insurance would not mark it your fault.

What would happen is your insurance would pay out, you would use them (which is probably better than theirs), and they would go and subrogate against the other insurance carrier to get back your deductible and their payout.

Back