Body damage to the roof and hood

valentin.horner@

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD
On Sunday my car got attacked by a flying canopy :)
Did anyone ever get their metal roof repaired/replaced? Looking at the forum history, I am thinking that it's going to be pretty pricey...
I attached a few pictures but there is also some damage to the doors and rear panel.
I am thinking that it might be enough for my insurance to consider a total when looking at the market value of other air pures with 20k miles.

I should get a quote for the repairs on the 26th so I'll update this thread when I know more.

Attachments

• 1000003275.webp
    1000003275.webp
    354.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 1000003274.webp
    1000003274.webp
    268.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 1000003259.webp
    1000003259.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
Oh wow! I hope no one was in the car when it came crashing in. I dont have any insight into the repair costs or how insurance would handle it. With mighty winds , all kinds of debris could get laughed launched. Where did this happen? We get some strong gusts with the Santa Ana winds in SoCal, but I've never seen a flying canopy on the road.

I was in the car parked at a race track. It's in Colorado so we do get pretty strong gusts of wind. They had sand bags holding the canopy down but that wasn't enough unfortunately.

I was just waiting my turn to get on the track and the thing came crashing down all of the sudden. The owners of the canopy were as shocked as I was

Repairs to Lucid vehicles is a nightmare. I got rear ended while stopped at a red light. A $5,000 estimate to replace the rear bumper (can’t be repaired) is now a $8,000 estimate. The driver-at-fault’s insurance company, who has accepted responsibility, has decided not to pay because, well, it seems too expensive. No shit it’s expensive. If anyone knows an attorney in Wisconsin ready to do battle against Progressive Insurance I have a great case for you.

The issue is these high tech vehicles with high style features are very expensive to repair. Insurance companies don’t like that scenario and they just don’t want to pay. I see insurance rates skyrocketing for EVs.

Honesty I am hoping for a total loss, though they may just be able to fix the dents and re-paint and then it might not be too crazy to repair. I am going through my own insurance's comprehensive and paying the deductible. Definitely not dealing with the insurance of the owner of the canopy. You should get your own insurance involved, they can come after progressive to get their money back.

That's the risk with luxury vehicles and low volume cars, few people can fix it and parts are hard to get plans no non-oem option to drive the price down. Same thing happened to my wife's model y and a door ring was $6k and 3 months to get fixed. Insurance premiums for the Tesla are pretty high to compensate, Lucid is not there yet for State Farm but I suspect that'll change soon.

Honesty I am hoping for a total loss, though they may just be able to fix the dents and re-paint and then it might not be too crazy to repair. I am going through my own insurance's comprehensive and paying the deductible. Definitely not dealing with the insurance of the owner of the canopy. You should get your own insurance involved, they can come after progressive to get their money back.

That's the risk with luxury vehicles and low volume cars, few people can fix it and parts are hard to get plans no non-oem option to drive the price down. Same thing happened to my wife's model y and a door ring was $6k and 3 months to get fixed. Insurance premiums for the Tesla are pretty high to compensate, Lucid is not there yet for State Farm but I suspect that'll change soon.
Lucid Insurance is a lot more than Tesla’s, I own both.

Depends on a lot of factors. Location, driving history, and so on. Not all insurers rate Lucid higher than Tesla today.

Repairs to Lucid vehicles is a nightmare. I got rear ended while stopped at a red light. A $5,000 estimate to replace the rear bumper (can’t be repaired) is now a $8,000 estimate. The driver-at-fault’s insurance company, who has accepted responsibility, has decided not to pay because, well, it seems too expensive. No shit it’s expensive. If anyone knows an attorney in Wisconsin ready to do battle against Progressive Insurance I have a great case for you.

The issue is these high tech vehicles with high style features are very expensive to repair. Insurance companies don’t like that scenario and they just don’t want to pay. I see insurance rates skyrocketing for EVs.
Typical unethical insurance companies. This is why we pay them. Hope you get much more out of them so they don’t play these games again. Good luck!

Sadly Progressive is THE WORST! Last year in May someone with Progressive insurance drove straight through a red light into the side of my husband totaling the car. We got beyond a pathetic payout from Progressive. While I couldn't find a single car for sale (older car) for less than $3500, they decided $1100 was all it was worth and then subtracted $200 salvage value since we refused to let them take it. We got a whopping $900 for totaling a winter beater-- but hey, at least it was the much cheaper beater with a heater instead of my Lucid in that case! Unfortunately because we didn't have full coverage, we were at the mercy of Progressive and didn't feel it was worth it to hire a lawyer to fight it. If, however, you do NOT have Progressive, you DO have the option of going through your own insurance, paying the deductible and let them go after Progressive to pay up. We did this in the past with State Farm when a driver of a 'short bus' blew off his stop sign and took out our 2500 truck (he was going that fast). Anyway, we paid the deductible and about 10 months later, got it refunded when State Farm finally collected from the owner's fly-by-night insurance at the time.

Sadly Progressive is THE WORST! Last year in May someone with Progressive insurance drove straight through a red light into the side of my husband totaling the car. We got beyond a pathetic payout from Progressive. While I couldn't find a single car for sale (older car) for less than $3500, they decided $1100 was all it was worth and then subtracted $200 salvage value since we refused to let them take it. We got a whopping $900 for totaling a winter beater-- but hey, at least it was the much cheaper beater with a heater instead of my Lucid in that case! Unfortunately because we didn't have full coverage, we were at the mercy of Progressive and didn't feel it was worth it to hire a lawyer to fight it. If, however, you do NOT have Progressive, you DO have the option of going through your own insurance, paying the deductible and let them go after Progressive to pay up. We did this in the past with State Farm when a driver of a 'short bus' blew off his stop sign and took out our 2500 truck (he was going that fast). Anyway, we paid the deductible and about 10 months later, got it refunded when State Farm finally collected from the owner's fly-by-night insurance at the time.
Every time I read one of these stories I thank my lucky stars I pay way too much for PURE. In situations where I need them, they just come through, with no fighting.

But it isn’t cheap, and they’re very selective about who they cover. Same goes for SafeCo, Cincinnati, Chubb, and the other HNW insurers.

You shouldn't need an attorney. If you have decent insurance, they will deal with the claims issues for you with the responsible party. My McLaren 12C had 500 miles on it when someone backed into it in a parking lot. Fortunately, there was a witness to the hit and run. He left a note and the local Barney Fife tracked them down. Local estimator said $2,000 repair as it just appeared to be a minor incident. I sent the car to the California dealer and long story short, 8 months and $80,000 later, it was fixed. The perpetrator's insurance (Geico) topped out at $50k and Hagerty was implying I should pay $30k but I reminded them that I had underinsured/uninsured coverage and they paid the bill.

What's in the roof that makes you think its more expensive to repair than replacing the HV battery? AFAIK its a piece of aluminum, trim, and a few accent lights. The glass is the smaller windshield too not the big piece of curved glass. Something not in the picture?

What's in the roof that makes you think its more expensive to repair than replacing the HV battery? AFAIK its a piece of aluminum, trim, and a few accent lights. The glass is the smaller windshield too not the big piece of curved glass. Something not in the picture?
The roof is a huge piece so there is a lot of stuff to remove. Big aluminum piece plus lots to remove and reinstall makes me think that it's going to be a ton of labor.

That's just a wild guess though, I might just be surprised :)

You shouldn't need an attorney. If you have decent insurance, they will deal with the claims issues for you with the responsible party. My McLaren 12C had 500 miles on it when someone backed into it in a parking lot. Fortunately, there was a witness to the hit and run. He left a note and the local Barney Fife tracked them down. Local estimator said $2,000 repair as it just appeared to be a minor incident. I sent the car to the California dealer and long story short, 8 months and $80,000 later, it was fixed. The perpetrator's insurance (Geico) topped out at $50k and Hagerty was implying I should pay $30k but I reminded them that I had underinsured/uninsured coverage and they paid the bill.
I’m not going through my insurance because the other party admitte fault. If I file the claim, I would owe my deductible, lose my perfect driver rebate, and suffer higher premiums down the road. That could total $1,500-2,000. I would rather just enforce the legal responsibility of the other party’s insurance carrier.

You should double check with your agent about that. In my case, since the other party admitted fault, it didn’t harm my insurance rating and had no effect on my premiums. It does get logged in the common insurance carriers database, but it’s flagged “not at fault”.

Not really. My friends pay a lot more for model s than I pay for pure awd dd pro.

Actually these days the expensive cameras radar and sensors and fancy head lights and tail lights mean expensive repairs for almost any car.

Back