BMW i7 EV - Reviews

Just tried out one today. It’s interior is extremely nice, but the hood is too long, no frunk, and it’s face looks like a butt. Hard pass for those reasons. Also, the screen isn’t as big as the videos make it out to be.

Attachments

• A9CC9E61-804E-4D54-B265-EE2D35194102.jpeg
    A9CC9E61-804E-4D54-B265-EE2D35194102.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136
  • C2DB2740-AE97-4E19-BE0E-BAAD3E08CC80.jpeg
    C2DB2740-AE97-4E19-BE0E-BAAD3E08CC80.jpeg
    907.3 KB · Views: 120
I actually find the screen in my i4, which I believe is the same size as the i7, quite large and of a high resolution. It seems comparable in size to the Lucid to me and the edges don’t taper as in the Lucid. The grill actually grows on most owners (not the size ;)). I get quite a few compliments on the car at the EA stations. The biggest issue (not for me) is the rear can be cramped for my larger friends.

I actually find the screen in my i4, which I believe is the same size as the i7, quite large and of a high resolution. It seems comparable in size to the Lucid to me and the edges don’t taper as in the Lucid. The grill actually grows on most owners (not the size ;)). I get quite a few compliments on the car at the EA stations. The biggest issue (not for me) is the rear can be cramped for my larger friends.
Talking towards the theater screen that is exclusive to the i7. Not the cluster or driver screens. The grill will never grow on me and honestly, I like the i4 much less. Different tastes.

I'd have to see it in person, but I wouldn't get the Theater Screen .. seems "gimmick-y" .. I could overlook the front grill and lack of frunk (which I still think is a missed opportunity .. then again I have a Fisker on order and it won't have a frunk either), but I would've like to have seen a greater range and better performance.

Still, if I can get used to how to get my oversized frame into my Luci .. there'll be no 'wandering eye" for a while.

I'd have to see it in person, but I wouldn't get the Theater Screen .. seems "gimmick-y" .. I could overlook the front grill and lack of frunk (which I still think is a missed opportunity .. then again I have a Fisker on order and it won't have a frunk either), but I would've like to have seen a greater range and better performance.

Still, if I can get used to how to get my oversized frame into my Luci .. there'll be no 'wandering eye" for a while.
I am a huge frunk proponent, so I'd never consider an EV without one.

But even if I didn't use the frunk much, it's what a lack of frunk represents that bugs me most. It's a signal that you are taking an ICE car and converting it to an EV, rather than thinking EV from the ground up.

And don't get me started on that grille. I never thought I'd say this about a BMW design, as I've admired their designers for years, but the front of all their EVs (and even some of their ICE cars) represents everything that is wrong with the current state of automotive design.

I am a huge frunk proponent, so I'd never consider an EV without one.

But even if I didn't use the frunk much, it's what a lack of frunk represents that bugs me most. It's a signal that you are taking an ICE car and converting it to an EV, rather than thinking EV from the ground up.

And don't get me started on that grille. I never thought I'd say this about a BMW design, as I've admired their designers for years, but the front of all their EVs (and even some of their ICE cars) represents everything that is wrong with the current state of automotive design.
Agree on all fronts (sort of) ...

My first car was a 1977 BMW 320i .. and have owned several BMWs since (528, 750iL, X5), but the oversized grill of late are hideous.

The lack of a frunk in the Fisker is especially disappointing for me as I expected a new EV startup to re-imagine the old ICE designs, and to me the lack of a frunk is a missed opportunity to showcase that (though Henrik did put solar panels on the roof .. so, there's that).

However, I'm old enough that I learned to compromise a long time ago. I said the same thing about a frunk as you stated (wouldn't buy one w/o it), but I had already ordered the Fisker (and am 1 of the 5000 Ocean One orders) before realizing that there'll be no frunk. The Ocean will still fit our family need while embracing another entrant into the EV market (and I've always like Henrik Fisker's designs). [btw, there'll also be no CarPlay support in the Ocean, which is another feature I had said I'd need in any car I'd purchase]

As for the i7, there are very few "luxury" EV sedans out there. I can't stand to look at the EQS (reminds me of a 1990's Ford Taurus) and the ride of the MS leaves a lot to be desired. I absolutely love everything about the Lucid Air GT execution, but entry/exit is difficult for me (bordering on comical)

for example .. here's what I look like [sort of] getting out of my Luci 🥴

;)

My first car was a 1977 BMW 320i .. and have owned several BMWs since (528, 750iL, X5), but the oversized grill of late are hideous.

The lack of a frunk in the Fisker is especially disappointing for me as I expected a new EV startup to re-imagine the old ICE designs, and to me the lack of a frunk is a missed opportunity to showcase that (though Henrik did put solar panels on the roof .. so, there's that).

However, I'm old enough that I learned to compromise a long time ago. I said the same thing about a frunk as you stated (wouldn't buy one w/o it), but I had already ordered the Fisker (and am 1 of the 5000 Ocean One orders) before realizing that there'll be no frunk. The Ocean will still fit our family need while embracing another entrant into the EV market (and I've always like Henrik Fisker's designs). [btw, there'll also be no CarPlay support in the Ocean, which is another feature I had said I'd need in any car I'd purchase]

As for the i7, there are very few "luxury" EV sedans out there. I can't stand to look at the EQS (reminds me of a 1990's Ford Taurus) and the ride of the MS leaves a lot to be desired. I absolutely love everything about the Lucid Air GT execution, but entry/exit is difficult for me (bordering on comical)
Regarding the comments on the EQS, I couldn’t put my feelings into proper words on the i7 as it does feel luxurious but also gaudy at the same time. My wife said: “You probably wouldn’t like owning this as it would be like when you owned the EQS. You’d show it off to passengers but get bored of it and not enjoy driving it.” That was fairly spot on. Both of those vehicles fit the same market for me where the interiors are very luxurious, the exteriors are unattractive by all means, and they both are more passenger oriented rather driver. AKA, not for me.

Regarding the comments on the EQS, I couldn’t put my feelings into proper words on the i7 as it does feel luxurious but also gaudy at the same time. My wife said: “You probably wouldn’t like owning this as it would be like when you owned the EQS. You’d show it off to passengers but get bored of it and not enjoy driving it.” That was fairly spot on. Both of those vehicles fit the same market for me where the interiors are very luxurious, the exteriors are unattractive by all means, and they both are more passenger oriented rather driver. AKA, not for me.
The AMG EQS handles/drives much better than the standard EQS, IMHO.

The AMG EQS handles/drives much better than the standard EQS, IMHO.
Probably True (as it is for most AMG branded MBs), but even if I could've gotten over the exterior looks of the car, when I went to buy it (and trade in my S550), the dealership I've bought a couple of MBs at wanted to charge me a $50K "dealer upcharge fee" .. went home and ordered the Lucid.

Probably True (as it is for most AMG branded MBs), but even if I could've gotten over the exterior looks of the car, when I went to buy it (and trade in my S550), the dealership I've bought a couple of MBs at wanted to charge me a $50K "dealer upcharge fee" .. went home and ordered the Lucid.
It's funny that I like the looks of the nose of my Lucid and don't like the back and just the opposite with the EQS.

We got lucky and paid MSRP.

for example .. here's what I look like [sort of] getting out of my Luci 🥴

;)
To be fair, that’s what pretty much everyone looks like getting out of a Lamborghini.

Some might not believe it, but I think in BMW’s case there was at least, partially, the idea that they didn’t want their repeat customers turned off to EVs. So in the case of the i4 the design is familiar, the interior is familiar sans the large screen, and that makes the car less intimidating to many prospective customers.

Certainly one can argue the cost savings aspect of this approach as well as the ability to get product out quicker, but I think the familiarity aspect can’t be ignored either. Some simply don’t like radical designs and not everyone’s EV purchasing decision revolves around the presence of a frunk. As I’ve stated previously, this is my fourth EV and I have yet to use a frunk...and yes, I fully appreciate the space efficiency of a bespoke EV chassis.

I am looking at a left hip replacement next month. On Monday I traded in my BMW 530e for a Genesis GV60 BEV. Beautiful car. hIts the sweet spot for me with 429 HP (489 with boost). But it is much smaller than an I7 which for me is an advantage but for many a disadvantage. The Genesis has easy exit/entry which will help after my hip replacement (when the door opens the seat rolls back and the steering wheel rises; when the door closes it reverses to the preset position.

I am looking at a left hip replacement next month. On Monday I traded in my BMW 530e for a Genesis GV60 BEV. Beautiful car. hIts the sweet spot for me with 429 HP (489 with boost). But it is much smaller than an I7 which for me is an advantage but for many a disadvantage. The Genesis has easy exit/entry which will help after my hip replacement (when the door opens the seat rolls back and the steering wheel rises; when the door closes it reverses to the preset position.
Sorry to hear about your hip replacement .. good luck!

The best of luck with your hip replacement and wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Ouch trgardinging the hips surgery. Hope you have speedy recovery!

To be fair, that’s what pretty much everyone looks like getting out of a Lamborghini.
I don't have a Lamborghini but getting in and out of a C8 Corvette at my age is not fun! Too small and too low!

Back