Battery size

Demosthenes

I just charged my GT battery from almost empty to full and my charge readout tells me it delivered 117 kWh. I thought the GT battery was 112 kWh whereas the dream battery was 118 kWh. But are both actually the same capacity?

I just charged my GT battery from almost empty to full and my charge readout tells me it delivered 117 kWh. I thought the GT battery was 112 kWh whereas the dream battery was 118 kWh. But are both actually the same capacity?
They’re not; due to charging losses in conversion, you use more power than can be stored. It isn’t 100% efficient.

There was that idiotic conspiracy theory going around before Lucid launched about it actually being a 130 kWh battery because that’s what it shows for a full charge, but it’s bunk because charging isn’t 100% efficiency.

Yea. Those are transmission losses - heat, AC to DC conversion, BMS fans running, etc. . You are seeing the amount delivered but is not equal to the amount received by the battery. I do have the engineers trying to give me an answer for something similar since my calcullation Of the amount actually received by battery by calculating battery kWh from the percentage does not equal the amount the car says it consumed since the last charge via the trip computers. Also what the heck are the trip calculators calculating? Total consumption? Consumption only while driving?

Yea. Those are transmission losses - heat, AC to DC conversion, BMS fans running, etc. . You are seeing the amount delivered but is not equal to the amount received by the battery. I do have the engineers trying to give me an answer for something similar since my calcullation Of the amount actually received by battery by calculating battery kWh from the percentage does not equal the amount the car says it consumed since the last charge via the trip computers. Also what the heck are the trip calculators calculating? Total consumption? Consumption only while driving?
I think we settled on the trip calculators were only using power delivered to motors

Agree. State of Charge did a 0-100% DC fast charge test on a DE and the car used up 134 kwh, 16 kwh more that the battery capacity, or about 13% in wasted heat.

Back