Auto Park Mishap: Front Bumper Scraped on High Curb

rajrbala

New Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Nov 13, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Location
Oakland, CA
Cars
2025 Lucid Air GT
Hi everyone,

I’m feeling pretty sad and frustrated today and wanted to share an incident that happened this past Saturday while using the Auto Park feature. I'm posting this as a warning to others and to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.

I was attempting to parallel park on the street in the spot shown in the photos. The Pilot Panel indicated that Auto Park was available. I was excited to see the prompt and decided to let the car handle it.

Unfortunately, as Auto Park was maneuvering the car into the spot, I heard a terrible scratching sound and noticed a couple of pedestrians on the sidewalk glaring at me. When I got out to inspect, I saw that my front right passenger bumper and the lower trim were scraped pretty badly against the concrete.

Looking closely at the spot, the curb curves outward and the height is unusually high right where the front bumper swung in. The sensors seemingly failed to detect the exact height and shape of that specific section of the curb.

To make matters worse, I just got a ceramic coating on the car two weeks ago, which makes this sting even more.

I have already reached out to the service center with the details and photos, asking for a resolution. I also emailed [email protected] so the software team is aware of this case.

Has anyone else had Auto Park fail to detect a high or irregularly shaped curb? If so, how did Lucid Service handle the situation?

Thanks for any insights.
Rajkiran
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260509_225531992.webp
    PXL_20260509_225531992.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 168
  • PXL_20260509_225103430.webp
    PXL_20260509_225103430.webp
    944.7 KB · Views: 139
  • PXL_20260509_225545230.webp
    PXL_20260509_225545230.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
  • PXL_20260509_225539443.webp
    PXL_20260509_225539443.webp
    4.3 MB · Views: 151
their Auto Park does not work very well.
True; I never use it in any of my vehicles, Lucid or otherwise.

Curb rash assist works really well tho, and I always use it when parallel parking.
 
By the look of that curb, you are not the only person to do that with either auto park or human park. That looks as if it should be brightly painted for better visibility.

Sorry about your car 🫤.
 
True; I never use it in any of my vehicles, Lucid or otherwise.

Curb rash assist works really well tho, and I always use it when parallel parking.
Have 2 cars with Auto park and never even tried once in either ( They happen to be what's considered driver's cars) so I park myself always; but the curb rash assist is nice and I keep always on for an extra layer of protection. It's nice especially if kind tired and get close to a curb. Keep in mind the curb rash warning is deactivated in the dark!
 
That sucks! :(

The auto-park is really unreliable, I tried it early on and it was heading straight for a cement pole in a parking garage. If I didn't intervene it would have scraped the pole. I consider it a "party trick" feature and never use it but having said that, other cars I've been in with this feature haven't done a great job either.
 
Ahh that sucks. Looks like a lot of people have been caught out by that curb.

I don't think service will have much to say in terms of any resolution. As with all "self driving" systems on the road today, the liability ultimately falls with the meat behind the wheel.
 
Sorry about your car. This is reason number 100 why I have not used this feature not once in over three years of ownership.
 
That curb has a lot of warrior scar.
 
Hi everyone,

I’m feeling pretty sad and frustrated today and wanted to share an incident that happened this past Saturday while using the Auto Park feature. I'm posting this as a warning to others and to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.

I was attempting to parallel park on the street in the spot shown in the photos. The Pilot Panel indicated that Auto Park was available. I was excited to see the prompt and decided to let the car handle it.

Unfortunately, as Auto Park was maneuvering the car into the spot, I heard a terrible scratching sound and noticed a couple of pedestrians on the sidewalk glaring at me. When I got out to inspect, I saw that my front right passenger bumper and the lower trim were scraped pretty badly against the concrete.

Looking closely at the spot, the curb curves outward and the height is unusually high right where the front bumper swung in. The sensors seemingly failed to detect the exact height and shape of that specific section of the curb.

To make matters worse, I just got a ceramic coating on the car two weeks ago, which makes this sting even more.

I have already reached out to the service center with the details and photos, asking for a resolution. I also emailed [email protected] so the software team is aware of this case.

Has anyone else had Auto Park fail to detect a high or irregularly shaped curb? If so, how did Lucid Service handle the situation?

Thanks for any insights.
Rajkiran
That is truly awful — I'm so sorry this happened to you. Damage like that is never just about the car; it's the frustration, the inconvenience, and honestly, the feeling of being let down by something that was supposed to make life easier.

I personally stopped using the auto-park system after scratching my own wheels twice. Twice was enough of a lesson. So I completely understand the anger.

But here's what makes it worse: there's a real culture of silence among Lucid owners, and I think it's doing us a disservice. Whether it's people connected to Lucid in some capacity, or owners worried that acknowledging issues publicly will tank the resale value further — the result is the same. Problems go unreported, Lucid customer care stays comfortably unaccountable, and the rest of us feel like we're shouting into a void. And their customer care? Don't get me started. The response times, the lack of follow-through — it's exhausting. Most of us have just learned to lower our expectations or stop reaching out altogether.

And the financial reality is brutal. A car that cost $155K in 2023 is now sitting at roughly $45K in value. I just saw someone listing theirs for sale — and honestly, who can blame them?

But that's exactly why this community matters. We need to show up for each other, share our experiences openly, and hold Lucid accountable together — because individually, we're easy to ignore.

Please do keep us posted on what Lucid or customer care says — if they say anything at all. And yes, you're right: they really do seem to operate as two completely separate entities that never talk to each other, which is a whole other problem in itself.
 
True; I never use it in any of my vehicles, Lucid or otherwise.

Curb rash assist works really well tho, and I always use it when parallel parking.
I have an honest question because I don't use auto park and have literally never seen anything on my display from curb rash alert other than it's 'not available' which is usually in a low light situation. Shouldn't curb rash alert work alongside and concurrently with auto park?

I understand this might not apply to the OP's situation since we don't know what the lighting was like unless I missed something.
 
Hi everyone,

I’m feeling pretty sad and frustrated today and wanted to share an incident that happened this past Saturday while using the Auto Park feature. I'm posting this as a warning to others and to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.

I was attempting to parallel park on the street in the spot shown in the photos. The Pilot Panel indicated that Auto Park was available. I was excited to see the prompt and decided to let the car handle it.

Unfortunately, as Auto Park was maneuvering the car into the spot, I heard a terrible scratching sound and noticed a couple of pedestrians on the sidewalk glaring at me. When I got out to inspect, I saw that my front right passenger bumper and the lower trim were scraped pretty badly against the concrete.

Looking closely at the spot, the curb curves outward and the height is unusually high right where the front bumper swung in. The sensors seemingly failed to detect the exact height and shape of that specific section of the curb.

To make matters worse, I just got a ceramic coating on the car two weeks ago, which makes this sting even more.

I have already reached out to the service center with the details and photos, asking for a resolution. I also emailed [email protected] so the software team is aware of this case.

Has anyone else had Auto Park fail to detect a high or irregularly shaped curb? If so, how did Lucid Service handle the situation?

Thanks for any insights.
Rajkiran
I don't know the answer to this question. If someone knos, please enlighten us:

> in "auto-Park", does the Lucid use the ultrasound sensors only, the cameras only, or both?
> if the cameras are used, is the car using the "composite" birds-eye image? If so, is such a composite accurate/real-time enough for parking?
> If it is ultrasound only, it appears the ultrasound sensor on the front side fender is located so high it would surely miss the curb.

Your thoughts?
 
But here's what makes it worse: there's a real culture of silence among Lucid owners, and I think it's doing us a disservice. Whether it's people connected to Lucid in some capacity, or owners worried that acknowledging issues publicly will tank the resale value further — the result is the same. Problems go unreported
Have you read anything on this forum?

This is just not true.
 
But here's what makes it worse: there's a real culture of silence among Lucid owners, and I think it's doing us a disservice. Whether it's people connected to Lucid in some capacity, or owners worried that acknowledging issues publicly will tank the resale value further — the result is the same. Problems go unreported, Lucid customer care stays comfortably unaccountable, and the rest of us feel like we're shouting into a void. And their customer care? Don't get me started. The response times, the lack of follow-through — it's exhausting. Most of us have just learned to lower our expectations or stop reaching out altogether.

And the financial reality is brutal. A car that cost $155K in 2023 is now sitting at roughly $45K in value. I just saw someone listing theirs for sale — and honestly, who can blame them?

But that's exactly why this community matters. We need to show up for each other, share our experiences openly, and hold Lucid accountable together — because individually, we're easy to ignore.

Please do keep us posted on what Lucid or customer care says — if they say anything at all. And yes, you're right: they really do seem to operate as two completely separate entities that never talk to each other, which is a whole other problem in itself.
This forum is littered with examples of things that have gone wrong or simply don't work so there's no silence on that front. Lucid employees are also actively on this forum and responding to owners whether it be publicly or via DM's. The Auto-Park feature being unreliable has come up numerous times over the years, along with a number of other persistent issues.

The problem really comes down to if\when Lucid gets around to fixing them not about owners showing up. Plenty of owners share their experiences on a daily basis in here.
 
I have an honest question because I don't use auto park and have literally never seen anything on my display from curb rash alert other than it's 'not available' which is usually in a low light situation. Shouldn't curb rash alert work alongside and concurrently with auto park?
Theoretically, it should/could. I don't believe it does at present.
 
Ahh that sucks. Looks like a lot of people have been caught out by that curb.

I don't think service will have much to say in terms of any resolution. As with all "self driving" systems on the road today, the liability ultimately falls with the meat behind the wheel.
As it should....
 
Let me add my condolences. It sounds exactly like something I would have tried with excitement. So sorry.
Also, I think your remark about high curbs is not germane; it should have been avoided altogether. SW faulty.
 
I'm so sorry to hear and see this.
I have used auto park for parking in between cars only.
It does not detect parking just within lines or if a curb/or pole is on one side.
I agree with the statement that this is party trick feature and is not at all reliable just yet.
 
Back
Top