Auto Park Mishap: Front Bumper Scraped on High Curb

Hi everyone,

I’m feeling pretty sad and frustrated today and wanted to share an incident that happened this past Saturday while using the Auto Park feature. I'm posting this as a warning to others and to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.

I was attempting to parallel park on the street in the spot shown in the photos. The Pilot Panel indicated that Auto Park was available. I was excited to see the prompt and decided to let the car handle it.

Unfortunately, as Auto Park was maneuvering the car into the spot, I heard a terrible scratching sound and noticed a couple of pedestrians on the sidewalk glaring at me. When I got out to inspect, I saw that my front right passenger bumper and the lower trim were scraped pretty badly against the concrete.

Looking closely at the spot, the curb curves outward and the height is unusually high right where the front bumper swung in. The sensors seemingly failed to detect the exact height and shape of that specific section of the curb.

To make matters worse, I just got a ceramic coating on the car two weeks ago, which makes this sting even more.

I have already reached out to the service center with the details and photos, asking for a resolution. I also emailed [email protected] so the software team is aware of this case.

Has anyone else had Auto Park fail to detect a high or irregularly shaped curb? If so, how did Lucid Service handle the situation?

Thanks for any insights.
Rajkiran
I've had my Air for over 3 years and have never been brave enough to even try AutoPark. And after parking in NYC for several decades where parallel parking with less than 8 inches of extra space is considered a badge of honor, I just couldn't imagine some softwhere guy out in CA managing the geometry any better than I could. :)
 
I've had my Air for over 3 years and have never been brave enough to even try AutoPark. And after parking in NYC for several decades where parallel parking with less than 8 inches of extra space is considered a badge of honor, I just couldn't imagine some softwhere guy out in CA managing the geometry any better than I could. :)
Autopark works really well on BMW but I can't figure out exactly how to get it to do it. But the one time it did, it was amazing.

Never got it to work since lol
 
Autopark works really well on BMW but I can't figure out exactly how to get it to do it. But the one time it did, it was amazing.

Never got it to work since lol
Yeah the salesman showed us how to do the auto park in my wife’s new X6 and I was 100% sure it was going to hit the car next to us as it was backing up but it obviously didn’t and it parked exactly perfect in between the lines of the space.

I never use the feature in my Model S because it just saws the yoke back and forth and takes way longer than me just doing it myself instead of holding up traffic and looking like a lunatic.
 
Hi everyone,

I’m feeling pretty sad and frustrated today and wanted to share an incident that happened this past Saturday while using the Auto Park feature. I'm posting this as a warning to others and to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.

I was attempting to parallel park on the street in the spot shown in the photos. The Pilot Panel indicated that Auto Park was available. I was excited to see the prompt and decided to let the car handle it.

Unfortunately, as Auto Park was maneuvering the car into the spot, I heard a terrible scratching sound and noticed a couple of pedestrians on the sidewalk glaring at me. When I got out to inspect, I saw that my front right passenger bumper and the lower trim were scraped pretty badly against the concrete.

Looking closely at the spot, the curb curves outward and the height is unusually high right where the front bumper swung in. The sensors seemingly failed to detect the exact height and shape of that specific section of the curb.

To make matters worse, I just got a ceramic coating on the car two weeks ago, which makes this sting even more.

I have already reached out to the service center with the details and photos, asking for a resolution. I also emailed [email protected] so the software team is aware of this case.

Has anyone else had Auto Park fail to detect a high or irregularly shaped curb? If so, how did Lucid Service handle the situation?

Thanks for any insights.
Rajkiran

I got an update from the Lucid Customer Care after their engineering team's investigation.

They told me that the Auto Park system isn't currently designed to fully spot certain curb setups if they fall outside the sensor range. In my case, the car only detected the the bushes behind the curb instead of the curb itself, which is why it kept backing up and made contact. They pointed out pages 135 and 136 of the Owner’s Manual to remind me that it's just a driver-assist feature and we still have to be ready to slam on the brakes if it misses something.

They said they would offer a complimentary loaner car if I am getting my car fixed.
 
Back
Top