Auto Park Feature

One thing I’ve noticed is that for the auto park to work optimally in a non-parallel situation, you have to drive closer to the potential parking spot side of the lane. Then the camera detects well and it seems to work pretty flawlessly as long as the spot you’re aiming for is already flanked by two cars. It’s counterintuitive for me because normally I drive slightly away from the parking spot side of the lane so that I have enough room to turn into the spot when I see it.

Another downfall of auto park is that if the parking lot is busy then it’s not practical cuz there’s no option to auto park nose first.

That I’m not sure. I wasn’t the driver. But it backed in as if it was a perpendicular space. So maybe user fail :)

That I’m not sure. I wasn’t the driver. But it backed in as if it was a perpendicular space. So maybe user fail :)
Yeah it’s done that to me also, if it thinks the space is perpendicular it will appear as a square instead of a long rectangle. There is a way to get it to switch to parallel but I’ve tried to get it to do it and it won’t, by either tapping or tapping and holding on the spot. Someone else here may know the answer. If it does recognize it as a parallel spot it auto parks surprisingly well.

Can you use auto-park to park into a really tight garage? I’m guessing no, as some garages are so tight that you need to fold the mirrors before parking.

I tried it for the first time and it worked well. there were two empty spots followed by a car and it parked right next to the car at 90 degree. Car backed up at a decent pace, made a rough turn and then moved forward to be really close to another parked car on opposite side and backed up correctly into the spot. I was impressed.

Reactions: NPN
Yeah it’s done that to me also, if it thinks the space is perpendicular it will appear as a square instead of a long rectangle. There is a way to get it to switch to parallel but I’ve tried to get it to do it and it won’t, by either tapping or tapping and holding on the spot. Someone else here may know the answer. If it does recognize it as a parallel spot it auto parks surprisingly well.
The button to change the orientation doesn’t show up consistently. I’ve had it show itself (or recognize the parallel spot outright) when parking in front of my house maybe 1/3 of the time now. The other times it stubbornly insists it’s a perpendicular space. I wish there was an indication why it chooses one orientation over the other.

I didn’t have problem parking perpendicular or parallel ways in my limited usage. The trick for me is have to be no traffic. Places like NYC with high flow of traffic, I wouldn’t trust bc those parking radar are for near distance and I don’t know if car detects car coming at fast speed from a distance.

I’ve used this feature twice… Once for parallel, and once perpendicular. Both times it worked flawlessly, but it still scared me. It does tend to be a little jerky and it gets very close to the other cars. I was 99% of the way to pressing the brake pedal when it stopped itself.

I haven’t been able to get it to parallel park. It always wants to park perpendicularly.

I’ve had years of experience using Tesla’s self-parking, and it has worked flawlessly almost all the time.. I know with time and further development Lucid’s self-parking will improve too.

I haven’t been able to get it to parallel park. It always wants to park perpendicularly.

I’ve had years of experience using Tesla’s self-parking, so I know with time and further development Lucid’s self-parking will improve too.
There is rotation button to change orientation, you have click right rotation before parking starts.

I’ve had years of experience using Tesla’s self-parking, and it has worked flawlessly almost all the time.. I know with time and further development Lucid’s self-parking will improve too.
My Tesla identified a parking space for me exactly three times in the past three years. And I parallel park it a lot. I was convinced it only worked at Tesla headquarters. You are the first person I’ve ever heard claim that it works well regularly.

My Tesla identified a parking space for me exactly three times in the past three years. And I parallel park it a lot. I was convinced it only worked at Tesla headquarters. You are the first person I’ve ever heard claim that it works well regularly.

It worked well enough and regularly enough to impress passersby and curbside valets at restaurants.

I was pretty judicious though about WHEN I would engage autopark. I’d never use it on a busy street with lots of traffic coming up behind me. It would take too long.

So I used this again today and I’m even more impressed. It was on paved road but the parking spot was unpaved and was uneven with tree roots causing uneven bumps (near a trailhead). The car had trouble the first time I moved forward but when I decided to park myself it showed that the auto park is available and since I was showing my car to a friend who was seated at the passenger seat, I decided to use it.

The car went backwards fine and just when I was worried about speeding because it went down the slope of the tree root, it slowed down automatically. It got to 20” from the rear car which was my threshold, I panicked and braked but what was even more impressive was that it didn’t cancel the auto park, instead, it put the car to Drive and moved forward little bit to park it right between the two cars.

My 2013 Lincoln MKZ works well to a point. It is flawless in parallel parking in my experience. The only drawback is that once it has found a spot, you have to drive so far forward beside the car ahead of the spot that the car behind you in a crowded NE city thinks you have passed it up and has moved up behind you. It’s not only nature that hates a vacuum; it’s also drivers on congested city streets.

Disappointed that parallel parking isn’t reliable. Hope they figure it out and provide an update.

Back