Anything missing from this ‘all inclusive’ list?

Lucid was also only offering 1 year for Pure/Touring and 2 years for GT... below other "luxury" competitors. I don't think it was a huge selling point for Lucid recently in any case. If someone wants to buy a Lucid/Rivian/Tesla, they actively choose to do so. I don't think they have the same problems like VW, Kia, Hyundai, MB, BMW, etc...where people are just cross-shopping for the fattest discount and cheapest lease payment.
Mine came with three years, and supposedly, people still get it if they reserved before June 30. I'm not sure what they get.

That being said, charging is still far cheaper than gasoline, to the point where it can be cheaper to charge at home than to get "free" charging and the per mile depreciation that comes with it from driving to charging stations. Free charging wasn't the deciding factor on road trips before I got the Lucid. My Model S has free charging. I took a couple of road trips in my wife's Model 3 without free charging since it wasn't a significant cost.

Overall, for somebody who takes a few road trips a year, the cost will be negligible compared to the cost of the car. I don't know how much people typically charge at public chargers, but I'd be surprised if I saved a few hundred dollars per year. At that point it becomes game playing. Lucid could have offered me a gift card to pay for charging, but instead lowered the cost of the car. There's lots of wiggle room to make things look any way they want, but at this point, you are better off with current prices and paying for charging than you would have been had they kept free charging and former prices.

Also, with NACS coming in new cars starting in about a year, they would have wanted to sever ties with EA soon, anyway. Who knows if EA will even update their network with NACS plugs, and when?
They will have to since CCS isn't going to be around on new cars. There's also the question of how fast Tesla rolls out V4 chargers. If Lucid switches to NACS and EA and others are slow to add NACS cables, then new car buyers with NACS might end up wanting to get an adapter to let them use CCS. Tesla's current Superchargers, aside from the cables not reaching, are going to charge a Lucid far too slowly.

Hopefully, Tesla gets its act together with V4 chargers, and uses magic docks so it's relatively easy to use with any Lucid. If they do, and even if they don't, CCS providers will not survive without a strategy to offer NACS in addition.

1. BayREN - $400
  2. Federal Tax Credit - up to $2000 (credit, not deduction, so you need to owe tax)
  3. Golden State Rebates - $900 (if you purchase the unit yourself from Home Depot/Lowes; my installer lowered the price of the unit instead, so I didn't have to deal with the rebate and he didn't have to deal with a big box store)
  4. Silicon Valley Clean Energy - $2000 (or $3000 for low-income)
  5. TECH Clean California - $3800 (or $4885 for low-income)
Added up, that's $8,200 on the low end. On the high end, that's $11,185.

And that's just for a heat pump water heater, replacing a gas water heater, with a >55gal tank. There are yet more incentives for things like panel upgrades and so on, which I didn't need.

That sounds like a good deal, and also potentially a lot of work tracking down all the incentives. I also assume that a lot of that expense has to do with a first time installation. What will it cost to replace a heat pump water heater at its end of life?

For me there would be even more savings over time, since I already have solar. I have enough so I could have handled pre-covid levels of driving. But with my wife mostly working from home, and with us likely to be retired for most of the life of the solar, I should have a glut of capacity. Changing to heat pumps for the water heater and furnaces might make sense in the long run, even though mine work fine right now.

Are there contractors who are good at walking people through the incentive programs when they give estimates?

Back