Anyone have information on the new version of the 21" PZ4?

Zothor

Reaction score
Called to schedule a tire replacement on the two bubbles that developed on my 21" PZ4 two months after replacing that same tire because it blew a flat, and service told me they have a new version of the 21" Pirelli tire in stock that has been redesigned with a more durable sidewall. I can't find any information anywhere about the PZ4 being replaced with a new, more durable version, nor what changes may have been made. Assuming the service tech was telling me the truth, which I have no reason to believe he wasn't, is there any information anywhere about the newly upgraded 21s?

Called to schedule a tire replacement on the two bubbles that developed on my 21" PZ4 two months after replacing that same tire because it blew a flat, and service told me they have a new version of the 21" Pirelli tire in stock that has been redesigned with a more durable sidewall. I can't find any information anywhere about the PZ4 being replaced with a new, more durable version, nor what changes may have been made. Assuming the service tech was telling me the truth, which I have no reason to believe he wasn't, is there any information anywhere about the newly upgraded 21s?
Is this the previously mentioned “LM2” tire? LM2 is the new version, and I believe it completely replaces LM1.

Is this the previously mentioned “LM2” tire? LM2 is the new version, and I believe it completely replaces LM1.
They didn't give me that term so I didn't know to search for it and can't be sure if that's what they were referring to. Maybe it is. Do we have any information on what the actual, documented difference in the LM2 is? Even searching for LM2, I'm not seeing any facts about the changes anywhere. Just my dealer's representation that the new version has an improved, more durable sidewall—which would obviously be relevant to the owners who have experienced sidewall bubbles and blowouts and to prospective customers trying to determine whether prior issues can be resolved moving forward.

That's what they're referring to. LM2 is the new designation for the rear Lucid 21" tires. LM1 was the old designation. I assume eventually the fronts will get replaced with LM2 as well.

And I have no idea what the changes are.
Interesting, thanks. What’s odd is that the tire that failed on me twice was the front, not the rear. Either service didn’t realize the LM2 was only available for the rear or, perhaps, he has new LM2s available for the fronts. I was supposed to hear back yesterday but didn’t, but if I learn more I’ll update this.

I've been running an LM2 on my front passenger side since the LM1 on there exploded in a pothole ... so far so good on the LM2.
FWIW, this is a picture of the sidewall construction on the LM1:
Capture1.webp

The only way to tell you have an LM2:
Capture2.webp

I assume eventually the fronts will get replaced with LM2 as well.
The LM2 is available for the fronts as well. I have one that replaced a bubbled tire. Hopefully they become more available soon. Costa Mesa was reluctant to give me a pair for the front a few weeks back.

Interesting, thanks. What’s odd is that the tire that failed on me twice was the front, not the rear. Either service didn’t realize the LM2 was only available for the rear or, perhaps, he has new LM2s available for the fronts. I was supposed to hear back yesterday but didn’t, but if I learn more I’ll update this.
The fronts likely track along a different line than the rear and the rears are wider allowing them to possibly still be supported through the pothole ... it's all sheer luck which one can blow, but the I'm guessing the fronts are more vulnerable just because they will get deeper into a pothole.

The fronts have been available for at least a month now.

The LM2 is available for the fronts as well. I have one that replaced a bubbled tire. Hopefully they become more available soon. Costa Mesa was reluctant to give me a pair for the front a few weeks back.
Yes … I recall they were understandably stingy about people changing them out as a preventative measure. I had to tell them my car is down and isn't going anywhere just to get the one.

Back