Any news on trade in program?

EricM

Verified Owner
When I confirmed I asked if they had a trade in program like Tesla does and was told “not yet”. Has anyone heard anything about where they are with this?

Tesla’s is just for Tesla trade in‘s though - right?
Correct. I sold my Model 3 through Shift instead (tried Shift, Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, GiveMeTheVin, etc).

Tesla’s is just for Tesla trade in‘s though - right?
I’m pretty sure you can trade in any car in at Tesla. Whether you get a decent price is another question- I assume selling to Carvana, Carmax, Zoom, or just a dealer would net more as I’m pretty sure Tesla just wholesales trade-ins to them (plus auction houses) once they get them.

Once Lucid start trade-ins I assume it would be similar.

I’m pretty sure you can trade in any car in at Tesla. Whether you get a decent price is another question- I assume selling to Carvana, Carmax, Zoom, or just a dealer would net more as I’m pretty sure Tesla just wholesales trade-ins to them (plus auction houses) once they get them.

Once Lucid start trade-ins I assume it would be similar.
My son got the best price for his Model 3 from Tesla.

I should have said that Tesla will only buy used Teslas if they are a trade-in on a new Tesla.

The Tesla trade in program was a royal screwing. They know that have you by the tax credit and also convenience so they put the screws to you. I traded my first Tesla s for my second and the offered me about 7 k under recommended DEALER price. They gave me I think a 3 week window to make a decision on a car but I was looking at demos as they came with free auto pilot AND supercharging. I couldn’t find a color combo that I liked until 4 1/2 weeks after the initial offer. I expected maybe a few hundred lower quote but Tesla knocked off another $2100 from their last quote. I took it as all I had on the private side were tire kickers and the price of the demo was good enough to to take the extra kick in the teeth but I swore right then I would never trade another car into Tesla. Going on the Tesla forum I found I was hardly the only one this happened too. I was going to buy a plaid but when I saw a preproduction lucid I never looked back.

I should have said that Tesla will only buy used Teslas if they are a trade-in on a new Tesla.
Yes - unlike dealerships they have zero interest in buying used cars just for the purpose of selling.

In a lot of states the greatest value of a trade-in is that it reduces the price of the car subject to sales tax. So comparing a trade-in to a separate sale should also factor in the sales tax if in a state where a trade-in reduces the taxable base.
Yes true (unfortunately I’ve never lived in a state like that).

Correct. I sold my Model 3 through Shift instead (tried Shift, Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, GiveMeTheVin, etc).
I assume you had purchased your vehicle? I have leased M3P and essentially my only escape clause is to give it back to Tesla early, although I wouldn't owe anything given the equity. They would just zero out.

Will trade program ever gonna happen? It would boost reservation for sure as people don’t mind trade in wholesale but save on purchase sales tax offset.

I’d like to know too, it would make my life easier. Any rum on this happening?

Back