Any Lucid owners who are previously Tesla owners? Curious about your thoughts on your experience and if you prefer Lucid

Specs on paper aside, I am curious about the actual day to day experience. From what I gathered, Lucid's software is clunky.

How are people's user experience with the app?

Do people generally prefer Tesla over Lucid? Anyone who has much better experience owning Lucid over Tesla?

There are more than ....20 Teslas in our extended family (pix of when we gather at our grandma's house - sometimes it looks like a Tesla SC !!). We all got Teslas because it was the best (if not the only) EV on the market at the time.

But of the year, we're all getting tired of Tesla's low build quality, features that never delivered as promised, rough rides, cheap material, elimination of features in our cars without our consent (i.e radar, ultrasonic sensor...) - and recently, horrible customer service experience. On my sister's Tesla, the car just slammed on the brake by itself several times within one week (she's not even on AP), and cars behind almost rear-ended her yet Tesla scheduled 4 weeks out just to take a look at it !!!

So we're all switching to Rivian and Lucid.... Knowing several people who work at Lucid, to see how they work and hearing about the the mindset Peter and Eric set on the employees to strike for the best for customers, also gives us enough confidence to migrate to the brand.

tqg3Ut9.jpg

Last edited:
I owned two model s back to back over the course of almost 7 years. The software in the Lucid still has problems but it’s coming along. As others have said a big OTA update should be here in the next couple weeks. That’s not what I was looking for with Lucid. The car is elegant, luxurious in a way Tesla can only dream about and has the hardware that far surpasses Tesla in ride quality, handling ,range,charging speed and eventual driver assist. You pay for that as well as the exclusivity. You will also be a beta tester for the software over the next several months
You said it all. We are a three-Tesla family, soon coming down to two. We are keeping the S75D and one of the X100Ds.

Tesla kicks Lucid’s a$$ when it comes to software user experience and smoothness. That’s today. Who knows if and when Lucid will catch up?

Other than that, my Lucid Air GT is everything I wanted our Model S75D to be, but could never be.

Could also be a wheel balance issue.

Have you tried taking the car to a tire franchise to have the balance and alignment checked? I've been driving Teslas for seven years, and they have conventional suspension and wheel components that are aligned and balanced the same way as any other car. And these days all the tire stores have the Tesla alignment specs in their databases. I've almost always had my Tesla alignment and balancing done at a local Tire Choice store, which is much less bother than trying to get an appointment at a Tesla Service Center and getting the car there. One on occasion, our local Honda dealer even did the alignment.
Good tip. I may try that. With any luck, I won't. be driving this car past the end of February, but that's a long way from now.

There are more than ....20 Teslas in our extended family (pix of when we gather at our grandma's house - sometimes it looks like a Tesla SC !!). We all got Teslas because it was the best (if not the only) EV on the market at the time.

But of the year, we're all getting tired of Tesla's low build quality, features that never delivered as promised, rough rides, cheap material, elimination of features in our cars without our consent (i.e radar, ultrasonic sensor...) - and recently, horrible customer service experience. On my sister's Tesla, the car just slammed on the brake by itself several times within one week (she's not even on AP), and cars behind almost rear-ended her yet Tesla scheduled 4 weeks out just to take a look at it !!!

So we're all switching to Rivian and Lucid.... Knowing several people who work at Lucid, to see how they work and hearing about the the mindset Peter and Eric set on the employees to strike for the best for customers, also gives us enough confidence to migrate to the brand.

tqg3Ut9.jpg

“Whoo geeves a fahhk” about Elon anyway.

The more I hear about that guy, the less I like him. We will stick with his cars for a while longer though, especially since ours still come with the no-longer-offered FUSC for life (Free Unlimited Supercharging).

Every other objection you listed about Tesla ownership I completely agree with. The decline in Tesla service was inevitable especially with the advent of the mass market Model 3 and Model Y era. There was no way the “white glove treatment” we early adopters got was going to be sustainable.

It will be interesting to see how Lucid will manage the jump from the premium level service we are all enjoying now, to a level of service that is more practical to deliver to every customer, over the long run.

The implementation of Fart mode, but with GPS navigation waypoint capability still lacking, was a turning point for me. I decided to buy cars from adult-run companies after that.

EEEHLOHHHN does sound like an 8th grader who has just run down a hallway, and stopped to read aloud for the very first time.

I still have my 2019 Tesla Model S 100D with Full Self Driving Beta also active. Just got my Lucid Air Grand Touring four days back. So can compare both easily.
As many mentioned, Tesla's user interface is very intuitive and much more polished, since they have been updating it for 10+ years. Tesla's auto pilot is years ahead of any other manufacturers. I have a lot of trust letting Tesla drive on freeways (surface streets, not so much! :))
Lucid Dream Drive Pro will come close at some point, but right now Lucid is just Adaptive Cruise Control so it is very basic.
It seems to me that despite some cribbing we see here, Lucid's build quality is actually better and it obviously has a much more opulent interior. Love it. Tesla is kinda basic. Road noise in Tesla Model S is at unacceptable high levels. Lucid is very quiet. Tesla is pretty fast (0-60 in 3.7 seconds) but Lucid is not only very fast from zero (3 seconds for 0-60), but at freeway cruising speeds, Lucid is effortlessly fast. In Tesla when I'd hit 100 mph, I can clearly feel it... in Lucid two days back, while passing a car, I pressed the accelerator and didn't realize for a few seconds that I was driving at 135 mph! It is crazy fast. And very stable. Handling is amazing (I have 21" on both Lucid and Tesla)

The other stuff is the intangible. We live in Silicon Valley (California) so Tesla's are plenty here. Lucid, not so much. I parked the car in Santana Row on Wednesday as I was meeting some friends for lunch. Came back and there were 5-6 people standing next to the car, taking pictures. On stop lights, multiple times, I have seen people in the back or on the side, taking pictures of the car. This is kinda weird for me. I have driven some exotic cars in the past, but never had this much attention. Oh well, I assume this will go down with time as more Lucid's come on the road.

I have owned many Teslas... 2014 Model S 85, 2018 Model 3 Performance, 2020 Model Y Performance, and a 2022 Model X Plaid. I am also the proud new owner of a 2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring. Here are my thoughts:
  • The Lucid is better hardware all the way around
  • The Teslas are not, in my personal option, a luxury or premium experience
  • The Lucid Air, in my personal option, is a luxury experience
  • All of my personal Teslas are all loud and have creaking / rattling noises when you drive
  • Lucid is very quiet. Like a, dare I say it, dream (ha!)
  • 3/4 of my Teslas have a weird smell when A/C kicks on. Kinda like smelly feet. I've been told by Tesla that this is normal. I can't fathom how?
  • The software in Teslas started out suuuuuper awful. It has gotten a lot better. I still need to reboot my X about once a month. Even so, the software is smooth and I rarely have crippling issues.
  • The v1 software in the Lucid is, well, kinda bad. Takes forever to wake up. Low frame rate. Features may or may not activate. It isn't unusable, but the v1 software is in very stark contrast to the very polished and refined hardware.
  • The v2 software coming out in the next couple of weeks is phenomenal. I have not yet needed to reboot and the performance is what you want it to be. The v2 software is a great next step and moves the car radically closer to having the hardware and software refinement be on the same level.
  • I have been promised full self driving for over 1/2 a decade now by Tesla. In my opinion it is still a ways off, despite what they say. Highway driving is pretty good, but I still get phantom braking and the system freaking out from time to time. Street autopilot driving is, in my opinion, bad and a bit terrifying.
  • Lucid highway assist is sleek and has performed well for me. Unlike the Tesla, no phantom braking. But highway assist only maintains your current lane. It won't change lanes for you. For me personally this is actually preferred as the Tesla computers were terrible at deciding which lane was best.
  • The Tesla wants you to leave all control to the computer while self driving. Any adjustment to the wheel will disengage lane assist. The Lucid wants you to be in control, so if you adjust the wheel it will gracefully turn off land assist until you stabilize in a new lane or whatever, then gracefully automagically turn back on. It's fast, seamless and kinda how you want it to be on a Tesla.
  • The Lucid turns heads. Everywhere. If you want to get people excited about electric, the Lucid is a better conversation starter and a better demo vehicle, IMO.

3/4 of my Teslas have a weird smell when A/C kicks on. Kinda like smelly feet. I've been told by Tesla that this is normal. I can't fathom how?
My Model 3 had the feet smell. I had them replace my air filter and flush the system out, and that did the trick. Of course, they flushed it with some terrible air freshner smell. But that didn't last more than a day or two.

My Model 3 had the feet smell. I had them replace my air filter and flush the system out, and that did the trick. Of course, they flushed it with some terrible air freshner smell. But that didn't last more than a day or two.
There is also some mildew that can build up on the ac condenser and cause that smell. There are sprays you can buy to kill the mildew at auto stores, but you have to be able to physically find the spot where the mildew builds up.

There is also some mildew that can build up on the ac condenser and cause that smell. There are sprays you can buy to kill the mildew at auto stores, but you have to be able to physically find the spot where the mildew builds up.
The OTC spray cans make a huge amount of expanding foam that nukes the whole area.

Who doesn't need fart mode?
That's what my 16 yr old said .. He laughed every time the car did it .. his sister streamed videos ... esp. at charging stations .. go figure!

The Model Y was my daughter's car and it suited her, but my preference is my "Luci" ;)

We own a ‘20 Tesla Model Y Long Range and just got our Lucid Air GT. We love our Model Y - it is a great mid size vehicle, is fun to drive and the simple UI works well. My wife loves it and it is her favorite (and most expensive) vehicle she’s ever owned.

She was initially scared to drive my Lucid but did so today and her assessment was that the Lucid is similar to drive but feels heavier, faster and far more luxurious. Consistent with being 2.5x the price.

We still love our Tesla, but the Lucid is by far and away my favorite vehicle that I have ever owned. I previously drove a Mercedes AMG E53 and Audi A7.

Had a Tesla model 3 before and have borrowed friend's model S and X so generally have a good idea of Tesla ride experience.
When it comes to build and driving experience, Lucid is definitely way better.
I see some folks say they're not that different but I think it's heaven and hell.
I get annoyed with road noise a lot (don't know why) and riding in a Tesla just irritates me every single time. Lucid does a very good job when it comes to noise suppression.

Software definitely need more work but it's still v1. Apparently there's v2 available soon and it looks a lot better according to what I heard so they might be on par sooner than later.
Honestly speaking, Tesla's software is not great either after spending so many years on it. It's just better compared to existing car makers but software quality in general is still pretty low imo. :)

Software (as of now) is worse and literally everything else is light years better.

I was an OG with a 2013 Model S that I owned and drove for 6 years. Time dis not do that car any favors. Will have to see how the AGT fairs over that period of time and Lucid changes as a business. Tesla got far worse regarding customer service as the years progressed.

I own a 2022 Model X Plaid
I own a 2022 Lucid Air GT

Tesla maps, controls, snappiness, responsiveness, and software make the current Lucid software seem like a very bad Atari 2600 game that keeps crashing.
Tesla stereo, creature comforts, control layout, screen placement, yoke, are intuitive if you use a smartphone... Most people use smartphones, and Tesla played off that perfectly with their UI.

Lucid wanted to be different instead of doing what works. In doing so, they made a clunky, confusing UI with severe connectivity issues and confusing dynamics. I still can't figure out how to turn off the turn signals, and it consistently tries to crush me into my wife's seat settings when I am in the driver's seat.

Driving the Lucid is incredible.

Both vehicles are amazing in their own way.

Both vehicles have quality issues.

My Tesla is much easier to live with for day to day use.

If Lucid can stay afloat, I hope they will move in a different UI placement and direction with the Gravity.

I get annoyed with road noise a lot (don't know why) and riding in a Tesla just irritates me every single time. Lucid does a very good job when it comes to noise suppression.

Even though our Model S Plaid has active noise cancellation and our Lucid Air doesn't, the Lucid is noticeably quieter on the same roads. (Both have 21" wheels.)

Lucid wanted to be different instead of doing what works. In doing so, they made a clunky, confusing UI with severe connectivity issues and confusing dynamics. I still can't figure out how to turn off the turn signals, and it consistently tries to crush me into my wife's seat settings when I am in the driver's seat.

I guess this is a matter of personal preference.

We had a 2015 Model S P90D to which I quickly adjusted. Our 2021 Model S Plaid is a different story entirely, starting with the annoying yoke and moving on to the bizarre (and often confused) gear selection method. Then there are the turn signal buttons which are difficult to locate when the yoke is off center and the tiny horn button that is never ready to hand when needed. If Tesla was going to use turn signal buttons on the yoke, at least they could have followed Ferrari's rational lead and put each button on its respective side of the yoke. Stacking the two buttons on the left side is both counterintuitive and inexplicable.

Then there is the issue of having to go into a menu in the Tesla to change headlight settings, to adjust wiper functions, and to redirect A/C vent flow in the Tesla, all of which functions are directly accessible in the Lucid.

Yes, Lucid's software is still plagued by glitches, but the user accessibility of basic operational features is much superior in the Air. Based on our experience in transitioning from a 2015 to a 2021 Model S, Tesla actually seems to be going backward in user friendliness.

As for Lucid's being different to be different, what do you think of a family vehicle without a second row center armrest or any storage bins or pockets? That is certainly a unique approach to passenger utility in the Model X.

I still can't figure out how to turn off the turn signals, and it consistently tries to crush me into my wife's seat settings when I am in the driver's seat.
???? What happened to turn signals???

Tesla maps, controls, snappiness, responsiveness, and software make the current Lucid software seem like a very bad Atari 2600 game that keeps crashing.
Tesla stereo, creature comforts, control layout, screen placement, yoke, are intuitive if you use a smartphone... Most people use smartphones, and Tesla played off that perfectly with their UI.

Driving the Lucid is incredible.

Both vehicles are amazing in their own way.

Both vehicles have quality issues.

My Tesla is much easier to live with for day to day use.

If Lucid can stay afloat, I hope they will move in a different UI placement and direction with the Gravity.
The seat settings and profile stuff in the Lucid has definitely been a problem for me. Also, the oh shit grip of the seatbelts when speeding up, what the heck is up with that?? It literally suffocates me.

Back