Any Good Charger?

Bel

Verified Owner
DE Number
I intend to install a small sub panel at each one of my two garage bays for one NEMA 14-50 50 Amps outlet and for one hardwired charger 60 Amps or larger -- not skimping on anything. I'll feed these panels with 125 Amps to prepare for the future. My house service is 200 A -- and is sufficient. I'll keep the charger cable that comes with the AGT in the car as spare backup or if needed while on the road visiting friends. And I'll buy one charger cable (or possibly one per bay albeit having only on EV) to use in my garage. When I look at charger cable reviews, I notice some common problems (a) they overheat and turns on/off (b) they're dependent of the wifi or Bluetooth connections or (c) are too complicated to set up. The general impression also is that they are in general unreliable. Hence, I'll also install the NEMA 14-50 as backup. I'm aware of the problem to have one GFCI for the NEMA 14-50 as well as having one built in in the charger cable. Two GFCIs in series may cause problems. I'm also aware of the 40 A limitation of the NEMA 14-50 and that you can get more amps if hardwired. I'm also aware of what UL listing is. I'm looking for the most reliable and uncomplicated charger cable that always will work and even if my router, computers, and cell phones are down, and 40 A vs more than 40 A isn't as important. And that I don't have to have long programming sessions trouble shooting when it doesn't work.

Can I buy one charger cable of the same that comes with the car (long lead time???) and is it any good? Or do any of you have a good recommendation? I list below what I found being decent but still there's a lot of reviews from people having various problems.

Morec 40Amp EV Charger Level 2 NEMA14-50 220V-240V Portable EV Charging Cable

ChargePoint Home Flex Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger, 16 to 50 Amp, 240V, Level 2 WiFi Enabled EVSE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WXZDHGV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A3HCET3UGETZ2B&psc=1

Grizzl-E Level 2 EV Charger, 16/24/32/40 Amp, NEMA 14-50 Plug/06-50 Plug

Also consider waiting (a few more weeks?) for Lucid's wall-mounted unit, ideally on a 100-amp circuit.
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex, it's excellent for daily use, with a relatively light, flexible cable and nice vehicle connector. It does like to be on your home's WiFi network. Ours has been trouble-free and I haven't used any of its WiFi features after initially setting it up 16 months ago.

I also bought the ChargePoint Home Flex charger and opted to mount it to connect with my existing NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage instead of having it hardwired. I had one interrupted charging session right around midnight one night, but It may have been something I inadvertently did to interrupt it from my phone app. Other than that, it has worked flawlessly to use off-peak hours to charge my car to 80% (ok, only going on three weeks, but no concerns).

Before I received the car, I had asked my DA about purchasing a second mobile charger which came with the car, but he said that was not yet being made available by Lucid.

Also consider waiting (a few more weeks?) for Lucid's wall-mounted unit, ideally on a 100-amp circuit.
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex, it's excellent for daily use, with a relatively light, flexible cable and nice vehicle connector. It does like to be on your home's WiFi network. Ours has been trouble-free and I haven't used any of its WiFi features after initially setting it up 16 months ago.
I also bought the ChargePoint Home Flex charger and opted to mount it to connect with my existing NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage instead of having it hardwired. I had one interrupted charging session right around midnight one night, but It may have been something I inadvertently did to interrupt it from my phone app. Other than that, it has worked flawlessly to use off-peak hours to charge my car to 80% (ok, only going on three weeks, but no concerns).

Before I received the car, I had asked my DA about purchasing a second mobile charger which came with the car, but he said that was not yet being made available by Lucid.
Thanks a lot. It seems ill be going with the Charge Point!

Yes. I have had the ChargePoint for 4 years, plugged, not hardwired, and it has worked very well. The cable is quite flexible compared to others so is easier to maneuver and put back on the hook. I have had it glitch twice in the 4 years where it just needs to be reset, but otherwise no problems after installation

Electrician is here now installing 100 amp copper from main 200a panel to sub-panel in garage. The sub panel has 6 spots to tap for future chargers. I gave up waiting for Betty Boop and ordered a Juice Box 40 hardwire, which should arrive as soon as the electrician leaves. Will post when complete.

FWIW, I have the EA home charger.

Was on Prime day sale & after WA rebates it cost me $70/-.

Works well, touch wood, to charge either the MSLR or AGT. And yes, Wifi enabled for the added conv' to start/stop, charging stats, etc ...

G'luck.

careful with the Grizzl-E. I have a dual charger and one side keeps getting stuck in the car- so much so that techs from lucid had to come and disassemble the charger port area of car to remove it. Unsatisfactory answer from them telling me to just return for refund. The design with a single metal button/lock pin with very tight tolerances is not great.

I have hardwired 48 amp Wallbox. It runs well, no complain.

I asked my DA the same and was told the same not available for additional purchase. I went with the EA Homestation.

FWIW, I have the EA home charger.

Was on Prime day sale & after WA rebates it cost me $70/-.

Works well, touch wood, to charge either the MSLR or AGT. And yes, Wifi enabled for the added conv' to start/stop, charging stats, etc ...

G'luck.
I just purchased last night taking advantage of the current $35.00 off coupon. I missed the dang Prime Day sale. How much was it then?

I have the grizzl-E duo plugged into a 14-50 and use it to charge two cars are once (my i pace and wife’s model Y) at the same time. I don’t need a dual charger with two EVs. I never need to charge them both to 100% overnight, but nice to know that I can!

I purposely got a “dumb” charger and use the vehicle software to control charging. Sometimes it’s good if one person in a relationship is dumb and just does what is asked. Lol.

I think it was like $50/- off. After Clark County (Washington) rebates, I ended up paying $60/- for this unit, I believe.
EA shipped the charger to me yesterday but I just saw this review on Amazon this morning stating EA is recalling the Homestation. Have you received a letter or heard anything? I'm thinking it's odd that EA would still sell these on their website/Amazon let alone ship if they recalled it. I reached out to EA on Twitter and Facebook directly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221105-112812_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221105-112812_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 89
EA shipped the charger to me yesterday but I just saw this review on Amazon this morning stating EA is recalling the Homestation. Have you received a letter or heard anything? I'm thinking it's odd that EA would still sell these on their website/Amazon let alone ship if they recalled it. I reached out to EA on Twitter and Facebook directly.
Charge point home flex is good. I bought but waiting on electrician to install. I bought directly from charge point as opposed to amazon -- 100-200 cheaper and likly better support.

Hmmm. Not aware of the recall. I'm overseas now and will need to reach them after my return.

That was my first choice back in May/June. Too bad EV were so hot that Amazon were actually solid out all ChargePoint back then. I got Wallbox. It is just as good. No complaint from me.

I assume if you're having it hardwired, it doesn't matter whether you get the 14-50 or 6-50? The 14-50 version is nearly $200 more on Amazon, not sure why?

I assume if you're having it hardwired, it doesn't matter whether you get the 14-50 or 6-50? The 14-50 version is nearly $200 more on Amazon, not sure why?
Youre right, i didnt think of that when i ordered the 14-50. Youre right, theres no neutral connection in the charge point end albeit it has the 14-50 plug. Doesnt make sense its 200 more on amazon....on charge point web site both models cost the same. Ive already taken out the 14-50 with cable from the charger and mounted the charger on the wall while waiting for the electrician. Ill wire mine with 70 breaker to be able to get max amp out of the charger.

Amazon sellers charge whatever they want. The 14-50 is priced for the higher demand of that version. Check the price directly from Chargepoint before you order. Either version can be hardwired. The plug comes right off.

Back