Another new GT owner

AMGabor

Hi All,

Took delivery of the Grey GT with 20 inch wheels on 22 December. I had several high performance cars before (currently an E63s) and a model 3. I like to do my due diligence before buying a car, test drove it twice at White Plains. The ordering process was great. The delivery less so. Since I leave in CT I had to take delivery near boston and the delivery agent (sorry, don’t remember the exact phrase) ghosted me several times and when I received an out of office message from him not even letting me know when his vacation ends, I sent a mail to the person in his OOO message and that person was really helpful. Then on the day of delivery I met a third person. Anyways, now I have the car and here is my opinion after just a couple of weeks:
- conclusion: it is a great car, with a lot of room for the software to improve and sadly in some cases I feel very similar attitude here as at legacy automakers(i.e., even if Tesla does something right, we will not implement it, just because we don’t want to accept that there are some things that are very good in Teslas
- the good:
  • great to drive, good integration of the regen/ one pedal driving(I think this improved since last summer when I first drove a Lucid, because I found the regen too week even in high setting)
  • amazing suspension
  • luxury interior (even compared to an AMG E class)
  • luggage space
  • wireless carplay (people can bitch about it if they want, but it work 99.99% percent of the time, my Mercedes fail at least as often and only has wired connection)
  • phone holder with wireless charger (again, you could argue about its location, but it fulfills its purpose: holding your phone in place and charging it at the same time without frying it as Tesla does - iPhone 15 pro max)
  • soft close - absolutely love it
  • homekit works like a charm and easy so setup
  • phone key - same as with a couple of other stuff above, it works 99.99% of the time, people should remember that sometimes they need a second attempt even with physical keys to find the hole. Plus you always have not one but two backup options
- the not so good
  • Changing profiles is slow - not a dealbreaker, but sometimes my wife’s phone is recognized instead of mine when we walk to the car and I change the profile on the screen, but it takes a long time to load. This is a very easy programming job: load the seat position first, don’t frikkin occupy the cockpit with a load screen and load the rest of the stuff in the background.
  • Frunk divider cannot be locked in an open position - strange that many other things on this car a very well thought through and this is not solved (I saw the magnetic solution on the forums)
  • The rear AC should be switched on every single time - this almost landed in the bad category :D
  • Swift driving mode cannot be set as a default
  • Different parts of the driving modes cannot be customized, e.g., why cannot we have swift acceleration with soft dampers?
- the bad
  • I hate the charger port. I know this is not just a Lucid problem, but apart from being ugly, you need a specific angle to get it in/out, which is just not convenient. I hate that Lucid was one of the last ones to jump on the NACS bandwagon
  • Automatic high beam assist - I am amazed that none of the car journalist are talking about this. This works REALLY bad. The solution is on the marked for more than a decade now yet our high end car blinds both the oncoming cars and the traffic in front of us. Anecdotally another Lucid got so mad the other day that I am sometimes blinding them from behind that they pulled over and then caught up to me and started flashing his lights.
I guess nobody will read such a long post, but thought that this might be useful for some people who consider buying this car. All I can say is that the only thing you should consider is the color of your new Lucid.

Cheers

Hi All,

Took delivery of the Grey GT with 20 inch wheels on 22 December. I had several high performance cars before (currently an E63s) and a model 3. I like to do my due diligence before buying a car, test drove it twice at White Plains. The ordering process was great. The delivery less so. Since I leave in CT I had to take delivery near boston and the delivery agent (sorry, don’t remember the exact phrase) ghosted me several times and when I received an out of office message from him not even letting me know when his vacation ends, I sent a mail to the person in his OOO message and that person was really helpful. Then on the day of delivery I met a third person. Anyways, now I have the car and here is my opinion after just a couple of weeks:
- conclusion: it is a great car, with a lot of room for the software to improve and sadly in some cases I feel very similar attitude here as at legacy automakers(i.e., even if Tesla does something right, we will not implement it, just because we don’t want to accept that there are some things that are very good in Teslas
- the good:
  • great to drive, good integration of the regen/ one pedal driving(I think this improved since last summer when I first drove a Lucid, because I found the regen too week even in high setting)
  • amazing suspension
  • luggage space
  • wireless carplay (people can bitch about it if they want, but it work 99.99% percent of the time, my Mercedes fail at least as often and only has wired connection)
  • phone holder with wireless charger (again, you could argue about its location, but it fulfills its purpose: holding your phone in place and charging it at the same time without frying it as Tesla does - iPhone 15 pro max)
  • phone key - same as with a couple of other stuff above, it works 99.99% of the time, people should remember that sometimes they need a second attempt even with physical keys to find the hole. Plus you always have not one but two backup options
- the not so good
  • Changing profiles is slow - not a dealbreaker, but sometimes my wife’s phone is recognized instead of mine when we walk to the car and I change the profile on the screen, but it takes a long time to load. This is a very easy programming job: load the seat position first, don’t frikkin occupy the cockpit with a load screen and load the rest of the stuff in the background.
  • Frunk divider cannot be locked in an open position - strange that many other things on this car a very well thought through and this is not solved (I saw the magnetic solution on the forums)
  • The rear AC should be switched on every single time - this almost landed in the bad category :D
  • Different parts of the driving modes cannot be customized, e.g., why cannot we have swift acceleration with soft dampers?
- the bad
  • I hate the charger port. I know this is not just a Lucid problem, but apart from being ugly, you need a specific angle to get it in/out, which is just not convenient. I hate that Lucid was one of the last ones to jump on the NACS bandwagon
  • Automatic high beam assist - I am amazed that none of the car journalist are talking about this. This works REALLY bad. The solution is on the marked for more than a decade now yet our high end car blinds both the oncoming cars and the traffic in front of us. Anecdotally another Lucid got so mad the other day that I am sometimes blinding them from behind that they pulled over and then caught up to me and started flashing his lights.
I guess nobody will read such a long post, but thought that this might be useful for some people who consider buying this car. All I can say is that the only thing you should consider is the color of your new Lucid.

Cheers
I'm curious about the high beam assist, Everytime I've used it, it works amazingly well. It often disengages before I normally would, making me question whether or not I've been blinding people for years or not. All your other points I agree on.

Hi All,

- the good:
  • amazing suspension
  • luggage space
- the not so good
- the bad

Cheers
Great write up. I don't agree on the high beam assist but I agree with everything else.

The profile switching is my biggest pet peeve with the car. Could not agree more with that.

I don't use Highbeam assist often, but the few times I've used it, it works amazingly well. Are you sure the option hasn't accidentally been switched off in your settings? Some folks have reported here that occasionally after an update some of their settings get flipped around. Worth checking.

I also wonder if there's some sort of calibration that could be done to make that better on your specific car? Like I said, I've been pleasantly surprised with how well mine seems to work. Of course, I don't make it a habit of driving around with my high beams on unless I'm on a really dark road in the first place.

Hi All,

- the good:
  • amazing suspension
  • luggage space
- the not so good
- the bad

Cheers
Agree with everything, great post!

Also agree with everything, except my high beam assist works great.

Profile changes should definitely move the seats first, and think about everything else later.

Frunk divider cannot be locked in an open position - strange that many other things on this car a very well thought through and this is not solved (I saw the magnetic solution on the forums)
Fixable thanks to @Bobby:

Swift driving mode cannot be set as a default
Blame the EPA. Range estimates must be done on the default driving mode.

Automatic high beam assist - I am amazed that none of the car journalist are talking about this. This works REALLY bad. The solution is on the marked for more than a decade now yet our high end car blinds both the oncoming cars and the traffic in front of us. Anecdotally another Lucid got so mad the other day that I am sometimes blinding them from behind that they pulled over and then caught up to me and started flashing his lights.
Odd, mine works as good as any car I’ve ever owned. I’ve not noticed any issues. This may be worth getting checked out, or at least clean your sensors.

Hi All,

- the good:
  • amazing suspension
  • luggage space
- the not so good
- the bad

Cheers
Welcome.

The bad and not so good, I agree. But minor issues in the bigger context.

I'm curious about the high beam assist, Everytime I've used it, it works amazingly well. It often disengages before I normally would, making me question whether or not I've been blinding people for years or not. All your other points I agree on.
Interestingly many people replied the same thing. However, since seeing the replies I was paying more attention to it and my opinion has not changed too much. In connection to oncoming traffic, it works decently (far from good) but the bigger problem is the cars going to the same direction. I don't know whether this is because of their red lights which the car has trouble recognizing or what. Hoping that it was just some dirt on the windshield or something like that. Yesterday I gave the first was to the car, hopefully this will improve my experience.

Great write up. I don't agree on the high beam assist but I agree with everything else.
Thanks. Yeah, many other people replied that their high beam assist works well, hopefully mine will improve. Would hate to schedule a service appointment for this.

The profile switching is my biggest pet peeve with the car. Could not agree more with that.

I don't use Highbeam assist often, but the few times I've used it, it works amazingly well. Are you sure the option hasn't accidentally been switched off in your settings? Some folks have reported here that occasionally after an update some of their settings get flipped around. Worth checking.

I also wonder if there's some sort of calibration that could be done to make that better on your specific car? Like I said, I've been pleasantly surprised with how well mine seems to work. Of course, I don't make it a habit of driving around with my high beams on unless I'm on a really dark road in the first place.
I'm sure because the inconsistency is the worst part of it. In 70% of the cases it works great, but the error rate is just too high. With my other cars when I enter a dark road, I can just switch on the high beam and forget about switching it on and off every time when I meet another car.

Profile switching is a bitch! :D

Fixable thanks to @Bobby:

Blame the EPA. Range estimates must be done on the default driving mode.

Odd, mine works as good as any car I’ve ever owned. I’ve not noticed any issues. This may be worth getting checked out, or at least clean your sensors.
Thanks, will probably do this fix for the frunk, because I actually like the divider, but in many cases I also take advantage of the depth of the frunk.

Would be easy to blame the EPA and actually I was not too upset about it for a long time until I had a Tesla and it remembered the drive mode. Since then I found out that Hyundais are also able to remember. So somehow it is possible to get away with it.

Cleaned the sensors, will see if it will improve.

Great review AMGabor!

I agree with almost everything you said except that I have no issue with high beam assist. There are little nagging inconsistencies that occur rarely (like the phone not unlocking the car in a timely manner) or once discovered (no sound issue) can easily be fixed with a logo reset.

I also believe this is room for software improvement (permanent garage door opener icon, android auto, V2H etc) that I hope they are working on, but i have little hardware complaints to speak of. The issue that worries me is longevity/reliability and if they will maintain their service at a high level.

It will be interesting what Lucid does about the charging issues- ie switching to NACS and who will they contract with (if anyone) to provide charging service. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I am satisfied with EA (in California). However, I am sure they will make changes in the future.

Great write up!

Everything is about right except I never had high bean assist issue. I do have attention nagging issue which I turn the feature off in Dream Drive.

Software, hopefully more brand new features will be released in 2024.

Back