Android Auto Thursday

“Owners can expect Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to appear in the native user interface system any day now, though further improvements to the DreamDrive advanced driver assistance system are ways away.”
—— Forbes “wheels” contributor, Michael Van Runkle

Now that the Apple fan boys and girls have finally gotten their wish, let us - indignant Android users - have our separate space to wait and complain 😊.

Any time now...
Agree! Unfortunately I feel the wait will not be short. I recall at the Lucid owners holiday party, one of the execs mentioned that carplay would be first, but the way he said it, he didn't give the impression Android would be immediately afterwards 😔
But I'm hopeful before mid summer... though this is completely speculative

I think it's coming in the same update with the Apple announcement. It's just that they didn't really publicize the Android auto portion of it.

I read the same report too, but I am guessing this isn't accurate. Probably hasty tech journalism. I'll be very surprised if Lucid has it but didn't put any hint of it in the update.

That said, it is currently installing. So, if that thing is true, I'll report back 😊.

It mentions android auto...just not very prominent at all.
That’s the old language from this page pre-update. Android Auto was not included in .58

Why would Lucid have it on their connectivity page? (Sad) Rhetorical question. Imagine my hands held out as I look bewildered toward the sky.

I grabbed the iPhone of my fan girl and gave Carplay a whirl after the update.

Some first impressions between us AA friends:
- Connection wasn't as smooth as I hoped. Even though the phone was already connected to the car it did not recognize CP capability. Instructions said pair agian, so I did. But this took a lot of fumbling between phone and car. Maybe I am not iPhone proficient 😐.
- Once the car made the handshake and CP was enabled, launching it wirelessly just didn't work. I get the pin wheel for some tens of seconds then the interface gives up, likely timing out on the connection. 😔
- After 20 minutes and about 10 failed retries, I gave up and got a cord. Success!

- The CP operation is standard. Siri answers when pressing the mic long and apps work fine. Pressing the Lucid app gets you back to the main UI, with an added button on the far right corner to return to CP. All that is good.

Now to the needs improvement:
- getting out of CP any other way - say with the home button - exits. You need to reconnect from the devices menu again (this needs a main botton).
- the CP real estate is tiny for the Lucid. I am sure it is the standard size in other cars, but given the size of the screens I get the feeling of watching a recording of an old analog movie on an ultra HD TV.
- integration is confined to the app rectangle. Navigation and audio don't move to the pilot panel or the cockpit. Unless you really depend on Waze or hate native navigation, the native experience ends up being better.

This is a good start, and if I had an iPhone I'd take YouTube music integration (it is my main audio app). But, now that I saw it, I am thinking maybe using the Apple fan boys and girls feedback as they ease into it will help make the initial AA integration better out of the gate.

Silver linings.

integration is confined to the app rectangle. Navigation and audio don't move to the pilot panel or the cockpit. Unless you really depend on Waze or hate native navigation, the native experience ends up being better.
This is due to the fact that before the next version of CarPlay, cars are limited to a standard size. I’m certain Lucid will be working at Apple to use the “more real estate” coming update as well, but that will be a while.

This is due to the fact that before the next version of CarPlay, cars are limited to a standard size. I’m certain Lucid will be working at Apple to use the “more real estate” coming update as well, but that will be a while.
Yes. I'll go as far as to say "Don't expect this until next year sometime." That way, if it happens to come sooner, we'll be pleasantly surprised.

But yeah. Much more likely to happen next year.

:)
i-want-it-now-veruca-salt.gif

You would think that Android Auto would be easier to implement on an Android vehicle stack, right?

The implementation and delivery of Android Auto should not be tied to Apple CarPlay.

Lucid's communication on its software development is mediocre at best. Customer surveys always show that admitting issues and product delays are better than receiving no communication at all from a company. This lack of official information about Android Auto/Apple CarPlay really doesn't help Lucid in a competitive market.
I am officially starting a rumor that the next major update will be Native Android Automotive.;)

Hybob...do you known.

Seems like Lucid is hostil towards Android Auto. Why in the world would you release these updates separately?
Hostile? I think that’s a bit strong.

They prioritized Apple, sure. Probably because they have some data suggesting they have more iPhone customers. Or the team that did CarPlay just happened to finish faster.

I wouldn’t read anything more into it.

Back