Android Auto Thursday

This morning did not have a great start. Sorry this will be a negative post - I truly try not to be a Debby Downer, but today was just cascading glitches and bad connectivity - pretty unusual. For the most part, when the UI is glitchy, I shrug and work around it, and things seem to work themselves out. This morning was rough: 360 camera finally loaded after I was completely out of the garage; I had tried to use my cellphone in the house to load my destination, and it would not recognize the address at all; I tried dictating the address once I was in the car, and I first got the "Alexa voice" which was not the custom one, so I knew the address would be off, then I got my custom voice, but both gave me totally random street names. I tried typing it into the Nav system, and that would not find the address (where I have gone a couple times before). I finally got an address that was sorta near where I wanted to go and that one loaded, and I tried to load the address after I'd been driving for about a half hour and was closer to my destination. Bupkus. I finally pulled over and used my Android phone and Google Maps to get the last few miles' directions. After a 2-hour meeting, I tried to enter the nearest EA Charging Station (@25 miles away), and only ChargePoint or EVGO chargers came up. If I specified EA only, no chargers ever loaded. I did use voice commands and got the EA charger to load, but the Preconditioning had to be started manually. On a positive note, I found a 350 kW charger and managed 183 kW for a decent charge (starting at 30%).

I've never used Android Auto and have been following this thread to see what others think of it, but I heard many of the CarPlay people saying they were not thrilled with its implementation and wonder how AA will be implemented and would this morning have been such a "cluster" using AA if/when it is available. Rant over.

AA is no longer mentioned on the Lucid website. I wonder if it’s still in the works.
Yeah Bobby, I reached out to customer service a couple of weeks ago to ask about it no longer being mentioned on the site and they advised that it is still in the works and will be released at some point.

Quick update / mini review:
So far I've been impressed with the connection strength and the little box staying quite cool. My BMW has wireless AA and I previously had a dongle to allow wireless in my previous car and in places both would drop the connection, this device has kept the connection up. That being said, while it's impressive how fast it starts up, I've had to unplug it about 5-10% of the time to get the CarPlay button to come on in the Lucid and maybe 15-20% of the time I have to manually tell my phone to connect to it.

For me, it's been worth it to get AA and waze, etc.. on the car.
More than worth it if only they would move carplay to the pilot screen if you want it as a option this little box is off the hook thank you for the find and shareing

20230917_090148.jpg
20230917_090359.jpg
20230917_090627.jpg

More than worth it if only they would move carplay to the pilot screen if you want it as a option this little box is off the hook thank you for the find and shareing

View attachment 14894View attachment 14895View attachment 14896
CarPlay 2 will likely take advantage of more of the screens on the Lucid. Sometime late next year I'd expect we may see that.

But putting CarPlay exclusively on the Pilot Panel would be a terrible idea. It's way too low in your field of view to grab that much of your attention.

Much better if they put your navigation in your center view behind the wheel. And then kept the main icon view where it is for audio apps.

Whatever that Android app you are showing there with all the cameras and such should probably not be legal in a car interface. Way too many buttons and too much info to be safe for driving.

My guess is they took it off the web site so they would stop getting questions from new buyers about when it'll be done. I would be shocked if they decided not to do it altogether. But it does seem to have been de-prioritized for now.
It is a shame that it is being deprioritized. I got that sense from my DA as well. No approximate ETA at all. Having used AA extensively, it is amazing how convenient it is especially with Google voice search integrated into it.

Messaging invluding readback and dictation, calling, switching between Waze/Google maps, many options for streaming/podcasts.

You also benefit from a huge enterprise updating the software, while Lucid can focus on other car-specific updates.

It is a shame that it is being deprioritized. I got that sense from my DA as well. No approximate ETA at all. Having used AA extensively, it is amazing how convenient it is especially with Google voice search integrated into it.

Messaging invluding readback and dictation, calling, switching between Waze/Google maps, many options for streaming/podcasts.

You also benefit from a huge enterprise updating the software, while Lucid can focus on other car-specific updates.
I do not think it was deprioritized. I think they simply took it off the website until it is done, so as to stop getting tons of questions about why it isn't released yet.

CarPlay 2 will likely take advantage of more of the screens on the Lucid. Sometime late next year I'd expect we may see that.

But putting CarPlay exclusively on the Pilot Panel would be a terrible idea. It's way too low in your field of view to grab that much of your attention.

Much better if they put your navigation in your center view behind the wheel. And then kept the main icon view where it is for audio apps.

Whatever that Android app you are showing there with all the cameras and such should probably not be legal in a car interface. Way too many buttons and too much info to be safe for driving.
I think that gadget just mirrors the phone screen to the Lucid pilot panel

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!

Just remember that "A man who is a master of patience is master of everything else." George Savile

I think that gadget just mirrors the phone screen to the Lucid pilot panel
It does not mimic your phone it actually runs Android auto in a car play shell it works very well gives you all the ability it also has a plus side it actually makes a Android tablet available if you want with all the applications.....But it is a 100% Android auto environment with steering wheel controls touch screen Google Assistant ....

I watched Motoman interview with Derek Jenkins and he indicated that Lucid UX is based on Android!

Android auto should really be easy to do. Come on Lucid!

I watched Motoman interview with Derek Jenkins and he indicated that Lucid UX is based on Android!

Frankly I think this solution is better unless if they give us the ability to use multiple screens but being able to run native applications while you're parked of course such as Netflix and other that are not ported to Android auto for $165 I think it's a home run I also like the fact that seems to me the sound from the system seems better I'm able to utilize The equalizer in the phone .....

That’s not how that works.

That’s not how that works.
You would think that Google would provide connections for Android Auto within their automotive platform.

You would think that Google would provide connections for Android Auto within their automotive platform.
Maybe? But could also be considered bloat in the beginning if it wasn't on their radar. I'm sure there's different suites or development packages depending on what they choose.

It's October, 23rd 2025.
It's Thursday, anybody got AA yet?
No?
Lucid is still working on it.
Be patient.

I bought this one :

It can act as a standalone box, had a sim card slot for that purpose. But it can also wirelessly connect to your phone (Android or iPhone) and bridge it into the car's Car play connection.
It ends up resulting in normal Android showing up on the screen but if you click the 'Autokit' app, it will start up Android Auto.
I've mostly been using projection since I'm not comfortable logging into the box with my normal Gmail account
I'm about to do this because the wait is killer. Got a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Have you needed to update the box yet? Is it a pain to do so?

Is their split screen functionality? I use Waze and Highway Radar most of the time.

Is the update process for the box troublesome?

I'm about to do this because the wait is killer. Got a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Have you needed to update the box yet? Is it a pain to do so?

Is their split screen functionality? I use Waze and Highway Radar most of the time.

Is the update process for the box troublesome?
I updated it by connecting it to my home iot network (i have an isolated wifi network for internet of things devices) and just update directly from the menu that way. Since its actually running a full android instance, its really easy and standalone, it will project to your screen even if no phone is connected.

Back