An interesting observation

Lucken

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Pure, BMW i4
Referral Code
97KPWDUB
No matter what forum you spend time on, whether it's cars, cameras, high end audio & video gear, it doesn't matter, this same human behavior can be observed over & over. First time posters will register on the forum to tell you why you've made a terrible decision, why you must be a dullard to have made the decision you did and how they're so much smarter than you for seeing the obvious flaws you never did.

Lately I'm seeing this behavior here with a greater degree of frequency. As I said, I've seen the same behavior in many other forums over the years. Granted, when it comes to cars like the Lucid & in previous years, the Tesla, some are simply short sellers. However in many other cases people will come to tell you why although the car is great, there are about 30 other things that would absolutely deter them from even considering the car. Why would you say that to a group of people who have already made the commitment or have actually taken ownership of the car?

As a Pure reservation holder since 1/21, I've certainly been critical of certain initial software failings I read about here, but good grief, I'd never go through the bother of registering on a new forum to tell people why the car or product I've decided not to buy and they have, is an absolute POS. Why would you do that? It's a bizarre human behavior that's always left me scratching my head. When this happened on a high end camera forum, and I suggested jealousy might have been part of the explanation for a given poster's first time post & rant, I was admonished by the admin. Go figure.

I guess as you get older you get less tolerant of this nonsense, but human behavior is what it is. Fortunately it's more the exception than the rule.

No matter what forum you spend time on, whether it's cars, cameras, high end audio & video gear, it doesn't matter, this same human behavior can be observed over & over. First time posters will register on the forum to tell you why you've made a terrible decision, why you must be a dullard to have made the decision you did and how they're so much smarter than you for seeing the obvious flaws you never did.

Lately I'm seeing this behavior here with a greater degree of frequency. As I said, I've seen the same behavior in many other forums over the years. Granted, when it comes to cars like the Lucid & in previous years, the Tesla, some are simply short sellers. However in many other cases people will come to tell you why although the car is great, there are about 30 other things that would absolutely deter them from even considering the car. Why would you say that to a group of people who have already made the commitment or have actually taken ownership of the car?

As a Pure reservation holder since 1/21, I've certainly been critical of certain initial software failings I read about here, but good grief, I'd never go through the bother of registering on a new forum to tell people why the car or product I've decided not to buy and they have, is an absolute POS. Why would you do that? It's a bizarre human behavior that's always left me scratching my head. When this happened on a high end camera forum, and I suggested jealousy might have been part of the explanation for a given poster's first time post & rant, I was admonished by the admin. Go figure.

I guess as you get older you get less tolerant of this nonsense, but human behavior is what it is. Fortunately it's more the exception than the rule.
One key word ---- anonymity.

There are always "Trolls". Just a built in feature of the new age internet!!

Playing devil's advocate, a forum like this is basically an echo chamber. The frequent posters (myself included) have either already spent a ton of money on this product, or have committed to do so. So we probably are less interested in the idea that we could be wrong in doing so (again, myself included) :)

Playing devil's advocate, a forum like this is basically an echo chamber. The frequent posters (myself included) have either already spent a ton of money on this product, or have committed to do so. So we probably are less interested in the idea that we could be wrong in doing so (again, myself included) :)

You’re not wrong, but I don’t think anyone here believes that any car will fit *everyone’s* tastes.

If we had a forum about Rice Krispies because we all love them, and shared various recipes, etc., and someone showed up screaming about how Rice Krispies suck and Cookie Crisp is better, I would say that’d be pretty counterproductive and useless.

But there’s nothing wrong with liking (or disliking) either. :)

You’re not wrong, but I don’t think anyone here believes that any car will fit *everyone’s* tastes.

If we had a forum about Rice Krispies because we all love them, and shared various recipes, etc., and someone showed up screaming about how Rice Krispies suck and Cookie Crisp is better, I would say that’d be pretty counterproductive and useless.

Agree completely. Regardless, this forum is of remarkably high quality, generally with respectful and thoughtful discussion.

I think it partly depends on whether we view this forum as for owners or whether it also is for people who have made deposits and haven't quite decided yet.

Having been one of the latter (hopefully converting to the former soon :)), I appreciate the negative comments from owners and those who have a perspective I might not have thought of. People telling me I'm stupid for making the decision I'm making, not so much. :)

I think it partly depends on whether we view this forum as for owners or whether it also is for people who have made deposits and haven't quite decided yet.

Having been one of the latter (hopefully converting to the former soon :)), I appreciate the negative comments from owners and those who have a perspective I might not have thought of. People telling me I'm stupid for making the decision I'm making, not so much. :)
This is what I'm talking about. Unsupported negative commentary is frowned upon. Constructive criticism is welcomed. That's what makes this forum good.

For me it's more about the tone of the post than the content per se.

Yeah, I agree completely. Owners posting their thoughts makes perfect sense and is massively helpful.

It’s the “I took a look at it while walking by the studio in the mall today and it’s no better than my Toyota Sienna which has had four wheels for many years and can carry SEVEN people!” posts that are annoying. :)

It’s the one and done posters for me. I joined here to read the good and the bad to manage my expectations upon delivery. But the ones who come in, trash talk, then don’t give any concrete stuff behind their posts, I just let it go. No point to giving them the satisfaction.

My sense is that many of us actual DE owners are very clear-eyed about the decision to purchase. We probably do share a consensus on the surprising number and nature of software deficits/deficiencies, given the sustained superhyped marketing effort (including top management's "commitment" to getting it right before release).

I, for one, am not experiencing any 'Buyer's Remorse' (at least, not yet). I enjoy driving the car, even without the bells & whistles. However, if I had planned on deploying all the advertised features on Day One, my patience definitely would be taxed.

My psychology with this purchase would go south only if there was evidence of fraud by the company. Then, my posture would change significantly. Remember that opt out arbitration provision in the purchase agreement?

While none of us want to become Lucid Fanboys like certain other manufactures, it is usually pretty obvious if someone posts a reasonably articulated expression of opinion and arguments as to why they don't like the Air. Absolutely, there are reasonable people that have perfectly valid reasons for being detractors. But then there are some posts that are generic litanies of pretty old issures that have been remedied already that are here just to bash.

While none of us want to become Lucid Fanboys like certain other manufactures, it is usually pretty obvious if someone posts a reasonably articulated expression of opinion and arguments as to why they don't like the Air. Absolutely, there are reasonable people that have perfectly valid reasons for being detractors. But then there are some posts that are generic litanies of pretty old issures that have been remedied already that are here just to bash.
We should expect a flurry of "I told you so's" following the first Lucid recall a few minutes ago.

I don’t know, I’m a Wheaties kind of guy, but I won’t rain on your Rice Krispies parade. ;)

I have noticed some of that behavior here. But I must say, I have learned an incredible amount of information about the car, on this forum. Much of the information has been reasonable criticism and much has been effusive praise. The things I have learned have lead me to re- assess the timing of my delivery, and have not dulled the enthusiasm for the vehicle. In fact I have a call scheduled with my SA tomorrow to go over some important points, things I would have never even considered if not for all the great people on here sharing information.

What is the Lucid recall for?
Possible coil damper snap rings in the wrong orientation. Could cause loss of ride height. Not sure if it’s a unanimous issue or localized. Most likely all current DE’s will come in out of an abundance of caution.

Reactions: FFT
Possible coil damper snap rings in the wrong orientation. Could cause loss of ride height. Not sure if it’s a unanimous issue or localized. Most likely all current DE’s will come in out of an abundance of caution.
I believe they know the VIN numbers where the rings MIGHT have been installed -- not all released DE's.

Back