Alexa and texts

Zoef

Cars
Audi Q7, Lucid GT
I am having a problem using Alexa to send texts and was wondering if any of you have figured out the solution to the problem I am having . What happens is this - Alexa tells me that in order to send texts I must have SMS settings enabled. I have SMS settings enabled on the iMessages feature of my iPhone, I have all of the data sharing options selected on the Alexa car settings and I have tried sending texts with the Alexa app on my phone and deleted from my phone. I get the same error message every time. I called customer service and they told me no one had seen this problem and they didn’t really have any troubleshooting to offer. Has anyone solved this dilemma or even had it? Thanks for the help. Other than this, Alexa has worked relatively well for me.

Apple does not allow 3rd-party apps to send sms messages. I will see what I can figure out.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You would think customer support would know that . . .

It will work when Apple CarPlay comes online

It will work when Apple CarPlay comes online
The failure to incorporate APC is the single biggest deficit I have encountered in the short period i have had the car. Alexa can't control music from Tidal (which i signed up for specifically for that purpose) . She acts like she can manage your sms' if you just give her access to your contacts but then she can't. It feels like all of it is just a bunch of multi-nationals fighting over who will have access to all the data in our phones, leaving the best car in the world ranking about 50th when it comes to communications and entertainment.

@Ybor, yes it is very frustrating. You can get Alexa to play tidal by linking tidal to your Alexa via the Alexa app and then choosing Tidal as your default player.
Open your Alexa app, click lower right tab ‘more’ and then click ‘Music and Podcasts’ and there you will see both “services” (below) and ‘default services’ above.

Enter your Tidal info and then choose Tidal as your default music player.

I am having a problem using Alexa to send texts and was wondering if any of you have figured out the solution to the problem I am having . What happens is this - Alexa tells me that in order to send texts I must have SMS settings enabled. I have SMS settings enabled on the iMessages feature of my iPhone, I have all of the data sharing options selected on the Alexa car settings and I have tried sending texts with the Alexa app on my phone and deleted from my phone. I get the same error message every time. I called customer service and they told me no one had seen this problem and they didn’t really have any troubleshooting to offer. Has anyone solved this dilemma or even had it? Thanks for the help. Other than this, Alexa has worked relatively well for me.
Having the same exact issue. I'm a newbie so not fully facile with the vehicle so looking for guidance. I'm new to Alexa too, so there's that.

Took delivery last week, same issue, unable to send texts via Alexa, asking to enable SMS in settings, no place to do that in the Alexa app (at least for the iPhone.) Another new customer anxiously awaiting Apple CarPlay.

That’s strange to me - I have sent texts using she-who-shall-not-be-named from the car.

This article might help:
I think I have this set up, but you can only send texts to people who have an Alexa device or the Alexa app installed on a smartphone.

I think I have this set up, but you can only send texts to people who have an Alexa device or the Alexa app installed on a smartphone.
That has been my experience as well. It doesn't appear that Alexa is connected to your device through Bluetooth as it is on the cockpit panel.

+1 for Apple CarPlay integration.

The Owner's Manual indicates you need to allow Alexa to use your phone via authentication ... Authentication To sign in to Alexa: 1. From the Pilot Panel, go to Settings > Applications > Alexa. 2. On your mobile device, go to amazon.com/code and enter in the 5- character code or scan the QR code displayed on the Pilot Panel. 3. If you've connected a mobile device, you will be prompted to enable Alexa to access contacts and read messages. 4. If you've not previously connected a mobile device, you will be shown see the Alexa Settings screen. Calling and Messaging Setup 1. Ensure your phone is paired and connected under Settings > Connectivity > Bluetooth and tap on the ellipsis to access phone options. 2. Turn on the “Sync Messages” and “Sync Contacts” toggles – this allows the Dialer app to gain access to the messages and contacts on your phone. 3. Turn on the “Allow Alexa to Access Contacts” and “Allow Alexa to Read Messages” toggles – this allows Alexa to gain access to the messages and contacts from the Dialer app. 4. Alternatively, go to Settings > Applications > Alexa > Settings > Communication and ensure the toggles are turned on.

The Owner's Manual indicates you need to allow Alexa to use your phone via authentication ... Authentication To sign in to Alexa: 1. From the Pilot Panel, go to Settings > Applications > Alexa. 2. On your mobile device, go to amazon.com/code and enter in the 5- character code or scan the QR code displayed on the Pilot Panel. 3. If you've connected a mobile device, you will be prompted to enable Alexa to access contacts and read messages. 4. If you've not previously connected a mobile device, you will be shown see the Alexa Settings screen. Calling and Messaging Setup 1. Ensure your phone is paired and connected under Settings > Connectivity > Bluetooth and tap on the ellipsis to access phone options. 2. Turn on the “Sync Messages” and “Sync Contacts” toggles – this allows the Dialer app to gain access to the messages and contacts on your phone. 3. Turn on the “Allow Alexa to Access Contacts” and “Allow Alexa to Read Messages” toggles – this allows Alexa to gain access to the messages and contacts from the Dialer app. 4. Alternatively, go to Settings > Applications > Alexa > Settings > Communication and ensure the toggles are turned on.
Yup. I have definitely sent texts to lots of people, most of whom don’t have Alexa.

Nope. None of those things worked. Hence the call to customer service and the posting on this forum. It appears I am not the only one with the problem based on the responses.

Was that for Android? My iPhone won’t send a message to anyone who is not also registered with Alexa.

Was that for Android? My iPhone won’t send a message to anyone who is not also registered with Alexa.
Owner's manual just said Alexa in the car needs to link to your phone. No specific type of phone mentioned.
Can't comment on the accuracy of the information, I just read the manual since some Tech Writer spent lots of time putting it together.

Back