steveairgt

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Hi
Has anyone heard any news about an Air trade-in program to purchase a Gravity?

I thought some of the Air lease deals set up to be at the front of the line for a Gravity when you turned in the car.

I thought some of the Air lease deals set up to be at the front of the line for a Gravity when you turned in the car.

Yes, I think that was the point of the 18-month lease program.

Hi
Has anyone heard any news about an Air trade-in program to purchase a Gravity?

Rivian has a trade-in program that is managed by Cox Automotive. I have been unable to find whether Tesla handles its own trade-in program or whether they contract it out, although from the buyer's perspective the trade-in is handled through your Tesla account. Both programs accept their own vehicles as trades as well as most vehicles from other manufacturers.

However, given the inventory of new Airs that always seems to be on hand plus the cars that will be coming back upon lease expirations, I really can't see Lucid setting up a program to take in Airs on trades. Most dealers and manufacturers can move excess used inventory into foreign markets, but that would not be the case with Lucid due to lack of support infrastructure in most foreign markets.

If they happen to allow it, I'd be interested to learn more about it

I'd like to see a trade-in program for the Gravity in order to capture the sales tax benefit, but it's our Honda Odyssey or our Model S Plaid we'd be dumping. There's household debate about which to get rid of when the Gravity arrives, but no debate about keeping the Air.

I did hear from a reliable source at the Scottsdale SC that a trade-in program is coming.
I just hope they give fair trade-in values. I’d love to get a Gravity, but only if I don’t loose a ton on my AGT.

Lucid should initiate a trade in program, will push more sales. The sales tax benefit will knock a couple of thousand off. Its about time!

Lucid should initiate a trade in program, will push more sales. The sales tax benefit will knock a couple of thousand off. Its about time!
Many states have no sales tax benefit. That would be nice though.

I just hope they give fair trade-in values. I’d love to get a Gravity, but only if I don’t loose a ton on my AGT.
3rd party/ hi line Dealers are offering approx 68K trade on low mile trades on AGT

I’m afraid that ship has already sailed, losing a ton on our Airs, that is. Nothing left to do now but drive it like you stole it. Everytime.

I’m afraid that ship has already sailed, losing a ton on our Airs, that is. Nothing left to do now but drive it like you stole it. Everytime.
I bought mine to keep for a long time. So as much as I hate seeing the trade-in values, it's kind of irrelevant to having the car.

I bought mine to keep for a long time. So as much as I hate seeing the trade-in values, it's kind of irrelevant to having the car.

Same here.

I've had the Air just over two and a half years now. With every other car I've owned -- the one exception being an Audi R8 V10 Spyder -- by this time in my ownership I was already looking around for the next hot new car to buy. But not so with the Lucid.

I watched the AMG version of the EQS and the M version of the BMW i7 roll out and just yawned. Nor has anything emerged from Audi, Jaguar, Tesla, Porsche, or any other brand I would normally haunt in search of a high-performance sports sedan that triggered my usual trade-in itch. Something might edge out the Lucid in one aspect or another, but nothing has approached it in overall balance of performance, comfort, and driving pleasure.

In fact, now I have a new worry. If Lucid were somehow to fold (which I don't think will happen), where would I go for my next car? The Air has spoiled me, and I'm beginning to think it may become the car I own the longest.

Ditto. I kept my cars 14 to 21 years. One fine day in 15 years mine might go to my first grandson. So the current market value is irrelevant to me.

We're still early days on the BEV market as a whole, not so sure about the 15+ year ownership proposition. Tesla stripped away 10's of 1,000's of dollars of equity overnight for early Plaid buyers. Even if that doesn't matter to you, you're still rolling on ancient (possibly unsupported) hardware, missed technological advancements, and battery degradation.

I'm not a buy and keep forever owner, but not a flipper either. I get good deals on desirable cars, take care of them, and sell for above market when its time to move on. With BEV's however, the market is way too volatile and the residuals and MF are too good on an Air lease at this phase of Lucid's life cycle.

In fact, now I have a new worry. If Lucid were somehow to fold (which I don't think will happen), where would I go for my next car? The Air has spoiled me, and I'm beginning to think it may become the car I own the longest.
This worry I have about my DE-P. Not even lucid (as it stands today) has a car that could replace this car other than the Sapphire but that’s out of my price range. Really only lucid and Porsche have my interest right now in the EV game. BMWs new EV concept platform has me interested as well but that’s some years away still.

This worry I have about my DE-P.

Again, same here. The Sapphire has some features (metal roof, Alcantara seating surfaces and steering wheel, dark interior with blue lighting that I don't like, no exterior color choice, and a general hot -rod vibe) that aren't quite my cup of tea. I think the discontinuation of the GT Performance has left too wide a performance and price gap in the lineup, especially given that the GT-P has already been developed and produced so that those sunk costs have been eaten already. Or, better yet, put a Dream back into the lineup and call it a GT-P. The Sapphire is using the same 118-kWh battery pack with (I assume still) Samsung batteries, so there would be no problem on that front.

I called Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service, to see if I could get a Sapphire with at least the Santa Monica or Santa Cruz interior but was told no. I just can't get my head around a quarter-million-dollar car with absolutely no feature or color options, especially as blue is my least favorite color -- although I have to admit the Sapphire blue exterior is about as good as blue gets.

But I digress. Bottom line . . . I'm keeping the Air Dream P on the road as long as it continues to look good and, so far, it's holding up beautifully inside and out. I can live with some range degradation, as I never get close to running out of range, and the car's degradation curve seems to be reasonably flat so far, perhaps because I really baby the battery pack.

Again, same here. The Sapphire has some features (metal roof, Alcantara seating surfaces and steering wheel, dark interior with blue lighting that I don't like, no exterior color choice, and a general hot -rod vibe) that aren't quite my cup of tea. I think the discontinuation of the GT Performance has left too wide a performance and price gap in the lineup, especially given that the GT-P has already been developed and produced so that those sunk costs have been eaten already. Or, better yet, put a Dream back into the lineup and call it a GT-P. The Sapphire is using the same 118-kWh battery pack with (I assume still) Samsung batteries, so there would be no problem on that front.

I called Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service, to see if I could get a Sapphire with at least the Santa Monica or Santa Cruz interior but was told no. I just can't get my head around a quarter-million-dollar car with absolutely no feature or color options, especially as blue is my least favorite color -- although I have to admit the Sapphire blue exterior is about as good as blue gets.

But I digress. Bottom line . . . I'm keeping the Air Dream P on the road as long as it continues to look good and, so far, it's holding up beautifully inside and out. I can live with some range degradation, as I never get close to running out of range, and the car's degradation curve seems to be reasonably flat so far, perhaps because I really baby the battery pack.

About degradation - Is there a place online where that kind of data is posted? Tesla owners even today, simply obsess about battery degradation. For example here’s something I contributed to tmc.com several months ago - “Model X100D, July 2018 build. Rated range brand new, 295 miles. Rated range at five years at 100% - 266 miles.”

Of course these older and smaller battery packs required that you extracted every bit of range possible. That’s much less the case now with our Lucid Airs.

The last time I charged my Air GT to 100%, the display indicated 510 miles. The car was a little over a year old at the time. I was very pleased that the car had lost only a few miles of its original 516 miles of rated range (September 2022 purchase). Then the original battery was replaced in February this year. I haven’t had occasion to charge the new replacement battery to 100%.

Back