Air Pure reservations

The Shumer-Manchin deal announced today will exclude the air Pure from receiving the $7500 incentive:

Even my early Pure Air AWD reservation will miss the EV credit by only $3500 šŸ˜“ .
This kills my order.

Damn. I mean, I'm happy that there's finally some climate legislation moving forward. But I would have liked to get the tax credit!
Yeah, if I take a $7500 hit, but humanity is better off, so be it.

Still, Iā€™m not sure how reducing incentives for EVs helps the environment at the moment. Probably a reason in the bill somewhere, but I havenā€™t read it.

And donā€™t get me started on the truck vs car thing. That will never make sense to me.

Giant, commercial trucks for construction and stuff, sure. Even pickup trucks that are actually used for hauling. But SUVs? Nonsense.

The Shumer-Manchin deal announced today will exclude the air Pure from receiving the $7500 incentive:

Even my early Pure Air AWD reservation will miss the EV credit by only $3500 šŸ˜“ .
Anyone know if this is retroactive?

Hmmm I highly doubt the new bill would cover pre-orders. Ordered and confirmed probably, but preorders I doubt it. Otherwise companies can just put a ton of nonexisting cars for preorder so we can hold tax credit. Question is when the EV bill will apply. Beginning 2023 could be likely. We'll be lucky if 2024.

I was thinking of downgrading to Model 3 and keep 2 cars instead but Model 3 long range is over $55k and won't qualify. The $7500 credit is pretty big deal for me in considering the Lucid.

Is it clear if the new credit proposal only applies to after the initial 200k produced?
Maybe the original $7500 credit still applies to the first 200k vehicles and the new proposal is only for after 200k produced?
That would make a whole lot more sense.

Until the bill makes it way through the House it's really hard to know how this will impact the Pure but it is definitely excluded in the current form of the bill unfortunately. However the bill could be modified or shot down in the house. I would expect that any car purchased this year would be under the current tax credit assuming it does pass through the House in its current form and is signed by the President.

$55k limit seems to favor the EU, Korean and Japanese manufacturers over US manufacturers.

The bill has language that actually excludes foreign manufacturers. The cars have to be assembled in North America. Also, the high end trims of the Mach-E, EV6 and Ionic 5 might not qualify either for the incentive because they are classified as station wagons not SUV's. So far I can see that the most benefited manufactures are Tesla with the Model Y and Ford with the F-150; and I guess Chevy with the Bolt lol.

Hybrids are also in the bill which is a shame.

The bill has language that actually excludes foreign manufacturers. The cars have to be assembled in North America. Also, the high end trims of the Mach-E, EV6 and Ionic 5 might not qualify either for the incentive because they are classified as station wagons not SUV's. So far I can see that the most benefited manufactures are Tesla with the Model Y and Ford with the F-150; and I guess Chevy with the Bolt lol.

My son's Mach-e is built in Mexico. May have high % of American parts. I am sure there are going to be a lot of loopholes in the bill some of which will have to be ironed out at a later date.

The final configuration of the Lucid Air Pure, and the effect of the newly dubbed "Inflation Reduction Act of 2022" (H. R. 5376) is only conjecture at this point in time. Lucid has not released anything publicly about whether the seats will be heated and/or ventilated or not, and the US government passes legislation at a glacial pace. I expect that H. R. 5376 will change dramatically before it is passed, and doubt that it will be implemented before 2024. I would like to have ventilated seats in my RWD Pure when (if?) Lucid starts producing them. I would also like the $7500 tax credit to help me afford the 78K purchase price that my reservation entitles me to. If either of these things are not available after the Lucid SA contacts me to transition from a reservation to an order (which I expect in 2024), I will revisit my decision at that time.

In the meantime, I am holding onto my reservation (and my 22 year old Toyota), and Lucid can hang onto my $300.

The final configuration of the Lucid Air Pure, and the effect of the newly dubbed "Inflation Reduction Act of 2022" (H. R. 5376) is only conjecture at this point in time. Lucid has not released anything publicly about whether the seats will be heated and/or ventilated or not, and the US government passes legislation at a glacial pace. I expect that H. R. 5376 will change dramatically before it is passed, and doubt that it will be implemented before 2024. I would like to have ventilated seats in my RWD Pure when (if?) Lucid starts producing them. I would also like the $7500 tax credit to help me afford the 78K purchase price that my reservation entitles me to. If either of these things are not available after the Lucid SA contacts me to transition from a reservation to an order (which I expect in 2024), I will revisit my decision at that time.

In the meantime, I am holding onto my reservation (and my 22 year old Toyota), and Lucid can hang onto my $300.
My position on the Pure as well

The bill is something like 725 pages of Senate Speak, so I have to rely on news outlets to translate and summarize.

This from the NY Times:
For the auto industry, one of the most important provisions in the climate bill would eliminate a cap on how many cars from each manufacturer are eligible for a $7,500 tax credit that taxpayers get for buying electric vehicles. Currently, the credits are phased out after a manufacturer has sold 200,000 electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles.

Restoring the credits would be huge for Tesla and General Motors, which have used up their quotas, as well as companies like Ford Motor and Toyota that will soon lose access to the credits. The new tax credit, available through 2032, would make vehicles from those companies more affordable and address criticism that only rich people can afford electric cars.

ā€œA big swath of middle-class Americans will be able to get this credit that otherwise would have been blocked out because of the credit limit,ā€ said Joe Britton, executive director of the Zero Emission Transportation Association, whose members include Tesla as well as makers of charging equipment, suppliers of battery materials and other companies tied to the electric vehicle business. ā€œThatā€™s a big deal.ā€
For the first time, used cars that are battery powered would qualify for a tax break of up to $4,000. That is important because most people buy secondhand, not new, cars. The average price of a new electric car has risen above $60,000, out of reach for many buyers even factoring in the fuel and maintenance savings those vehicles provide.
Thus, in its current form the bill would not apply to the average new electric vehicle because the selling price is >$60K. Do any of us here believe that the Lucid Air Pure is "average?"
Individuals making more than $150,000 a year or couples earning $300,000 or more would not qualify for incentives for new electric cars. The income limits for the used-car incentive are $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for couples. The credits would not apply to sedans that sell for more than $55,000 and vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles listed at more than $80,000.
Also, I suspect that many of us/you in this forum would no longer qualify for the tax credit because (y)our income would exceed the threshold.
...As written, the bill appears to disqualify cars not made in North America from the credit. Cars made in North America by foreign companies like Mercedes-Benz, Toyota or Volvo would qualify, but imported models would not.

Cars would qualify for the full credit only if their batteries are made with materials and components from the United States and countries with which it has trade agreements. The percentage of components that have to meet those restrictions to qualify for the credit would increase over time, under the bill. That provision is aimed at encouraging domestic development of businesses like lithium mining and refining.
Therefore, the Mustang Mach-E from Mexico would still qualify.

But as I said, this is all conjecture. Let's see what the FINAL bill looks like.

Same here. I think they are trying to pass the bill quickly before the 08/05. If it passes maybe Lucid will have to crank up the production of the Pure and try to deliver as many cars as they can before the end of the year. From the few post in this thread it seems to me that quite a few people will cancel their order.

Where do you get the info on how these cars are classified? Do you know if this is an official EPA classification or something else?

It seems to me there could be a lot of grey area. In the old days an ā€œSUVā€ was essentially a body-on-frame pickup with enclosed rear to provide more passenger space and enclosed cargo. This has morphed to the point that every manufacturer is raising suspension on their monocoque hatchback and wagons 1.5ā€, gluing some plastic cladding around wheel wells, tacking on $10k to the price, and calling it an SUV.

I understand the EV6 and Ionic 5 wouldnā€™t qualify now as they are not currently assembled in North America (although plan to begin assembly in US in a few years)

Lucid just put out an email stating that if you place your order before the bill passes the House (probably this Fri, Aug 12), then you will still qualify for the original $7,500 rebate. By doing so, you lose the right to get your $300 deposit back, but you can still cancel the order in the future.

In specifying my order details, the configurator will not all Ultimate Sound - you have to order Ultimate Sound Pro for $2,900. Strange - anyone know why this is?

Lucid just put out an email stating that if you place your order before the bill passes the House (probably this Fri, Aug 12), then you will still qualify for the original $7,500 rebate. By doing so, you lose the right to get your $300 deposit back, but you can still cancel the order in the future.

In specifying my order details, the configurator will not all Ultimate Sound - you have to order Ultimate Sound Pro for $2,900. Strange - anyone know why this is?

Here's the email from Lucid

This past weekend, the Senate passed the Inflation Reduction Act, which eliminates the $7,500 tax credit for sedans with an MSRP over $55,000. This means that if the bill is enacted, Lucid Air will no longer qualify for this tax credit. The House is expected to vote on the bill this Friday, August 12.

Many of you have asked what we can do to help you maintain your eligibility for this tax credit.*

The current text of the bill includes a ā€œtransition rule,ā€ which may maintain eligibility for Lucid customers who enter into a contract to purchase their Lucid Air before the bill is signed. Weā€™ve decided to help reservation holders take advantage of the transition rule by opening a window to place an order for their Lucid Air. This window is now open, and will remain so until 12 a.m. the morning the bill is passed, which could be as soon as this Friday.

To be completely clear, you donā€™t have to place an order now and your reservation will remain in place ā€” weā€™re doing this to help those who want to do everything possible to maintain eligibility for the federal tax credit. If you donā€™t wish to place an order now, youā€™ll still have the opportunity to do so closer to your vehicleā€™s production date. Please note that placing an order now will not alter the expected delivery timelines for Touring and Pure.

However, if you decide to place an order now, please understand youā€™ll be entering into a contract, and your deposit will become non-refundable.

To place your order, log into your Lucid account, go to your ā€œDesigns and Ordersā€ tab, identify the relevant reservation and click the ā€œOrderā€ button. A pop-up window will appear where you can again click ā€œConfirm this orderā€ to complete the process.

Back