Air Pure no longer includes frunk partition/divider

Actually, in 2014, Tesla went from charging $250 for the parcel shelf to making it free. Virtually everything that was optional back then eventually became free, except larger batteries and performance versions. They did more recently start going the other way with things like charging equipment.
i find it interesting that for two companies that were in the exact same position (new company, expensive sedan, high risk stock exposure, high expenses) Tesla went the direction of making all the optional equipment standard and selling the car one way to reduce costs and optimize (other than paint and interior color) whereas Lucid is going the complete opposite way. Piece meal, ala carte options on each trim. I wonder if Lucid has found some way to optimize their costs while stocking a million different configurations of options.

i find it interesting that for two companies that were in the exact same position (new company, expensive sedan, high risk stock exposure, high expenses) Tesla went the direction of making all the optional equipment standard and selling the car one way to reduce costs and optimize (other than paint and interior color) whereas Lucid is going the complete opposite way. Piece meal, ala carte options on each trim. I wonder if Lucid has found some way to optimize their costs while stocking a million different configurations of options.
Actually, old Tesla had a LOT more options than Lucid does right now. You could have close to 10 interesting paint colors, air suspension, different trim(carbon fiber), glass vs metal roof, choices of the grade leather/cloth/vegan upholstery, third row seats, executive seating packages, AWD vs RWD for each power trim, and there is probably a lot more I missed. Tesla began to cut down around 14-16 to prepare for the three! I missed that old tesla...

Actually, old Tesla had a LOT more options than Lucid does right now. You could have close to 10 interesting paint colors, air suspension, different trim(carbon fiber), glass vs metal roof, choices of the grade leather/cloth/vegan upholstery, third row seats, executive seating packages, AWD vs RWD for each power trim, and there is probably a lot more I missed. Tesla began to cut down around 14-16 to prepare for the three! I missed that old tesla...

That's what I'm saying. They did offer a lot of options in the beginning, but when they started getting in to trouble with expenses and cost, they just made everything standard. Glass roof became standard, air suspension became standard, dropped down to 5 colors, no choice of trim with interior, cloth/leather were replaced by vinyl, etc...

That's what I'm saying. They did offer a lot of options in the beginning, but when they started getting in to trouble with expenses and cost, they just made everything standard. Glass roof became standard, air suspension became standard, dropped down to 5 colors, no choice of trim with interior, cloth/leather were replaced by vinyl, etc...
Well, Lucid largely does all of those to some extent except for the glass roof. The pure RWD suspension is the only one that is different, and even then it is not a matter of replacing an entire air suspension, it is the semi adaptive dampers being removed. Lucid already has the limited colors and from the start did not have trim choices. Tesla switched from leather due to it conflicting with their vision, however Lucid does not have that problem as they aren't trying to look ridiculously "green" (air is only a ev because rawlinson knew that was superior over combustion). I do understand what you are saying, however. Lucid does have the support of the PIF, and they are not in any explicit financial trouble. The stock market is largely separate from the company, dont forget..

Lucid tried to simplify things. GT (exterior color, interior color), Touring (some more stuff), Pure (most stuff than GT, less than Touring), but then people weren't happy/sales weren't good, so they introduced more things. I think it's just the growing pains of a new company learning how the market accepts their product compared to competitors.

Well, Lucid largely does all of those to some extent except for the glass roof. The pure RWD suspension is the only one that is different, and even then it is not a matter of replacing an entire air suspension, it is the semi adaptive dampers being removed. Lucid already has the limited colors and from the start did not have trim choices. Tesla switched from leather due to it conflicting with their vision, however Lucid does not have that problem as they aren't trying to look ridiculously "green" (air is only a ev because rawlinson knew that was superior over combustion). I do understand what you are saying, however. Lucid does have the support of the PIF, and they are not in any explicit financial trouble. The stock market is largely separate from the company, dont forget..

Hmm not even close I would say.

For 2024, there is
1. pureluxe vs leather (T) vs extended leather (GT)
2. 12 way vs 14 way vs 20 way seats
3. glass vs no glass
4. comfort and convenience pack
5. SSP vs SS (Different hardware)
6. DDP vs DDPremium vs DD (all different hardware)
7. Stealth vs Regular
8. 3 different wheel options + 2 different wheel options for stealth

There's probably some more i'm missing too. It's great to have options! But you have to wonder if just offering the most popular options like SSP/DDP and leather/glass roof as standard across the line would've been easier and cheaper for them.

Hmm not even close I would say.

1. pureluxe vs leather (T) vs extended leather (GT)
Extended leather is a matter of changing the leather inserts to alcantara ones... not much, IMO
2. 12 way vs 14 way vs 20 way seats
Fair.
3. glass vs no glass
I did mention that.
4. comfort and convenience pack
Fair, but Lucid introduced this due to the customers wants.
5. SSP vs SS (Different hardware)
Fair, but again it is the matter of swapping some drivers and the sub, not much work.
6. DDP vs DDPremium vs DD (all different hardware)
DD and DDpremium have the same hardware, but again this is true. Lucid cannot remove DDP though as that would result in some horrible press. It would also lose a lot of money by including DDP on every car.
7. Stealth vs Regular
Again, some trim pieces being snapped on is the only difference.
8. 3 different wheel options + 2 different wheel options for stealth
I'm pretty sure an external supplier builds their wheels, so it should be the same cost to Lucid. Tesla also does have more wheel options.

Extended leather is a matter of changing the leather inserts to alcantara ones... not much, IMO

Fair.

I did mention that.

Fair, but Lucid introduced this due to the customers wants.

Fair, but again it is the matter of swapping some drivers and the sub, not much work.

DD and DDpremium have the same hardware, but again this is true. Lucid cannot remove DDP though as that would result in some horrible press. It would also lose a lot of money by including DDP on every car.

Again, some trim pieces being snapped on is the only difference.

I'm pretty sure an external supplier builds their wheels, so it should be the same cost to Lucid. Tesla also does have more wheel options.

DD and DD Premium do not have the same hardware. DD premium has extra cameras for 360 birds eye view. It's not about how minor the change is, but it's added effort on an assembly line and additional parts that need to be stocked and ordered. By reducing volume on parts, they get charged more probably as well. I'm sure stealth costs $3k not because a darker paint on the roof costs more, but because there's a cost of stocking and ordering those parts in low volume that they have to pass on to the buyers.

But anyway, i think your point about having Saudi money and not being in explicit financial trouble is probably the reason why they are trying to offer more options to entice buyers at the expense of their per unit cost.

I will say, i think it actually pushes buyers away to see that a $80-$90k Pure/Touring have such a crappy sound system, poor single rear camera, and no basic lane keep assist as standard. There's a reason they had to offer it for free on their 2023 inventory.

As far as I can tell, they optimize things by building cars in batches, stopping production of the GT when they make the Pure, etc. I don't know how granular it is, but if they decide to make nothing but cars with a specific interior for a period of time, they don't have to have as much inventory at any given time, and people on the floor don't have to select parts based on who ordered what. Lucid has interiors by theme, and Tesla used to let you pick different materials for different things, such as the dashboard, the wood trim, etc.

Tesla went from one extreme to another. When I got my Model S, I got it in green. Tesla made a few hundred of those, and it interrupted the paint shop to change colors. Now that they are making cars by the millions, it would be easy for them to introduce more colors since even with 1%, or customers wanting a color they'd be able to make a huge batch. Lucid picked a happy medium, giving more choices than Tesla, but not as many as Tesla once did. When I got my Tesla, I could get fog lights or not, parking sensors or not, different levels of interior lighting, and things that were really taking things too far.

I just saw Lucid's ad touting the Pure as one of Car & Driver's 10 Best List for 2024. Here's their photo of the Pure. Hey, what's that thing that the red & blue block is resting on? I could swear it looks like a frunk cover.
1705845816006.png

Attachments

• 1705845574172.png
    1705845574172.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 25
I use the frunk cover to change my toddler’s diapers, it’s the perfect height, frunk shields her from the elements. Otherwise I wouldn’t care if the car had it or not. I’m aware of zero other EVs that have a two level frunk? Aside from Rivian and F150 Lightning, all other EV frunks are a joke compared to Lucid so I can see nothing to complain about here. I’m also happy Lucid is trying to cut costs here and there without messing up the car.

Also @momo3605, we’re in 2024 now. In January 2022 the only Lucid trim you could order was a fully loaded GT, IE they were doing exactly what you suggested they do by simplifying things and component variability etc, basically just building one car with different wheels, exterior and interior colors. Of course as you move downmarket 2 years into production then you’re going to offer more trims with things subtracted or added based on what your marketing and financial people advise. I don’t see what’s amiss here?

Well, my poor toddler has to rest her little butt on my dirty aero covers. This is a 2024 award photo. What's amiss to me is that, if it is no longer included on the Pure, don't show me a picture of it as though it is still included on the Pure. Similarly, if it's on the demo Pure I saw in November, why wasn't on the Pure I took delivery of later that month? It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance none-the-less.

Ha yeah I’ve used the trunk for diaper duties as well, but it’s less ergonomic thank the frunk cover, but still not too bad. If you didn’t get them already these Lusso seat covers are a must if you’ve got a kiddo in a car seat. Lusso Gear Car Seat Protector for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXQJWRA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I have that exact one in tan, which looks reasonable with the Tahoe interior. I also got a revolving car seat to make putting the little guy in and out easier. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL1L24DS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_foB9ThAXZ2nop

Yep I have the tan one in the Lucid with the Tahoe interior, it matches it really well. The one above was for the wife’s XC40 recharge with the black/grey interior.

I use the frunk cover to change my toddler’s diapers, it’s the perfect height, frunk shields her from the elements. Otherwise I wouldn’t care if the car had it or not. I’m aware of zero other EVs that have a two level frunk? Aside from Rivian and F150 Lightning, all other EV frunks are a joke compared to Lucid so I can see nothing to complain about here. I’m also happy Lucid is trying to cut costs here and there without messing up the car.
My son and daughter in law use the flat back of their Prius sedan as a changing station for the kids diapers.

Of course as you move downmarket 2 years into production then you’re going to offer more trims with things subtracted or added based on what your marketing and financial people advise. I don’t see what’s amiss here?
I don’t want to go off topic, but since you called me out, I’ll respond :) Generally I would expect You move into an a la carte pricing model when your company is in better financial state and you can afford to order items at lower volume and at higher cost, my issue is that lucid stock is in free fall, and not quite in a stable state yet, so they should be focused on optimizing costs. And I still think features like DD Premium + lane keep assist and SSP should be included on every model as they are standard across all the competition.

I finally received the frunk cover that I ordered for my 2023 Air Pure AWD. While Lucid told me that it plans to have this as an available item on the Lucid Store, for now it can only be ordered at a Service Center. It is part number P11-E370GN-00 and it's description is LOAD FLOOR, FRUNK. The price is $111.97 plus tax. I'm told that it is the new design cover. It's fabric is slightly darker than the surrounding fabric, but close enough, and it seems to fit/work well. Still just a tad annoyed that I did not get this part with the car, but I'm glad to finally have one.

I finally received the frunk cover that I ordered for my 2023 Air Pure AWD. While Lucid told me that it plans to have this as an available item on the Lucid Store, for now it can only be ordered at a Service Center. It is part number P11-E370GN-00 and it's description is LOAD FLOOR, FRUNK. The price is $111.97 plus tax. I'm told that it is the new design cover. It's fabric is slightly darker than the surrounding fabric, but close enough, and it seems to fit/work well. Still just a tad annoyed that I did not get this part with the car, but I'm glad to finally have one.
Happy diaper changing! It really is well suited for it, plus the frunk is completely isolated from the cabin so smelly things can be stored in there just fine until you can dispose of them!

Actually, in 2014, Tesla went from charging $250 for the parcel shelf to making it free. Virtually everything that was optional back then eventually became free, except larger batteries and performance versions. They did more recently start going the other way with things like charging equipment.

Back