Air Pure and range

Jivor

Cars
406 is the estimated range. What is the useable kWh, 88 as listed, but I have seen 84. How much loss using 20" wheels? Weight, I've seen 4630lbs, I am assuming for the single motor (+168 for a 2nd motor unit, + a few for wiring/mounts). Will real world efficiency be better than 4.6 miles per kWh with a 500+ lb. weight reduction (around 5200lbs for the GT)?

Last edited:
I believe the tire compound makes the largest difference. If you look at the 19" wheels, they are all season tires. The 21" wheels are summer tires.

Either way, I would expect the % difference between 19" and 21" with the loss being closer to the 21" then the 19" inch wheels. 516 miles to 469 miles is roughly ~10%. I would expect a range to fall around the 360+ mark. Driving style will be a large factor as well in the range of any EV.

Well, I can always get all season replacements when I have to change the tires; Michelin and others offer these. Articles with links below suggest a range increase of 14% with a weight reduction of 20%, or that a 10% reduction in weight can yield a 6 to 8% efficiency improvement. 4630 lbs. for the Pure (single motor) is 11.57% less than 5236 for the GT (range version) should yield around 7% better range. Now 88 is 78.57% of 112 for kWh battery size; yielding a range of 405.4 miles (78.57% of 516 for the GT range). Would that potentially yield a range of 445.94? Now we are assuming 19" all season tires using the most efficient ("smooth") driving setting. I don't know if range is calculated with 1 person or 2 in the car.

Last edited:
Sorry, math. 7% efficiency increase to 405 should yield around 433 miles of range. Weight of the GT is closer to 5202 lbs ("unladen" according to the article).

It is very possible. There is not an official EPA range for the Pure if memory serves me correctly. Lucid could be making last minute changes to further reduce the weight depending on the competition.

The theoretical 7% efficiency may be lost with the number of batteries and lower voltage system. At least, the voltage is a byproduct of the number of batteries with how I understood the tech talk on the battery system. Higher voltage means less resistance. A lower starting voltage would shift the range downwards from full charge to empty. Thus, overall system efficiency would decrease because of the higher resistance. Would this be significant? No idea. I am a software engineer rather than an electrical engineer.

We will only truly know with an EPA estimate and cars in the hands of the people.

What mileage per kWh are people seeing? One person posted a picture with 4.6, which is what Lucid had touted as a potential figure for efficiency to yield the 516 miles for the 112kWh battery and, by extrapolation, 406 miles for the 88kWh one; how common is that seeing as very conservative driving is needed to reach that number.

My extrapolation from others experiences and driving a Model 3, non-performance, (fastest car I have driven) is that the power on hand is easily accessible. Unlike say my Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid or Toyota Echo (manual, college days) where every ounce of acceleration has to be teased from the car. Both cars require(d) being driven very aggressively to get below 5-10% of estimated EPA. Thus, a Lucid is much more difficult to drive conservatively in a manner to produce those numbers and relatively simple to grow accustomed to the power of the car.

Maybe owners have more specific information. This is just my best guess. I did notice I cratered or spiked (can't remember which) the miles/kwhr when I test drove the Model 3 like I stole it.

3.0 seems to be the average of what has been posted, far from 4.6. I drive pretty sedately, and hypermile all the time; my current Kia K5 is averaging 36mpg (combined driving over 5k miles calculated at the pump). I hope that translates to an electric, although there are two settings for braking regen. vs. coasting that I will have to adapt to; I know that EVs are less efficient at highway speeds, especially above 65mph.

Gasoline cars are not immune to the 65+ either. I lose about 10% when above 70mph.

There have been reports up to 95% efficiency by someone known as the "Queen of Range" here on the forums. Another thing to consider is that most posts are before the power train has 3k+ miles, a break in period.

I will certainly report back here on this thread when my GT is delivered in December. There are lots of experiments I want to run to test the efficiency, losses to aggressive driving, etc.

I have just finished reading a review of the BMW I4 and MB EQE in the British Car Magazine. The magazine's testing, rigorous but not on the autobahn, showed 250 real miles per charge for each.

That makes me glad that circumstances allowed me to put an order for the GT. The EQE was the choice for my wife until she decided for a Touring that eventually turned into my GT order.

250 miles is abysmal.

Reactions: DBV
Range is what turned me off to the Audi E-Tron GT; a 93kWh battery with a 250 mile range is like-wise abysmal.

At stand still, the IX shows a consumption between 1.5 and 1.8 kWh most of which I believe is due to the A/C and aux loads. Is there a way to measure Lucid's consumption at stand still?

That makes me glad that circumstances allowed me to put an order for the GT. The EQE was the choice for my wife until she decided for a Touring that eventually turned into my GT order.

250 miles is abysmal.

My guess is that with spirited driving a 400 mile Pure range will likely turn into 300. But as noted above, that is why it is nice to have a large EPA range--so the real life range will be tolerable.

My guess is that with spirited driving a 400 mile Pure range will likely turn into 300. But as noted above, that is why it is nice to have a large EPA range--so the real life range will be tolerable.
Agreed. I plan on very spirited driving. Road trips I will ease up a little bit, but I still plan on driving it like I stole it.

Nope. I like to stop after 3hrs. You know what happens in mid 60s 😉

Back