A Pillar Blind Spot

SaratogaLefty

Verified Owner
Cars
Dream Edition P 21"
DE Number
I've only had my Dream for a week so haven't driven it much. Taking a trip up to Alice's at Four Corners later this morning!! One thing I've noticed that has me a little concerned is the blind spot caused by the large size of the A pillars. A good friend of mine had the old Cadillac electric car (upgraded Volt) and it also had very large A Pillars. He was on a one way street and was about to make a left turn at an intersection when a lady stepped out from in front of a large truck on his left side. Because of the truck and the large A pillar he didn't see her and he hit her while starting his turn at about 5 mph. She came up over the hood and hit her face/head on the windshield the Cadillac. Broke her nose and had a mild concussion. Wound up costing his insurance ~$100k and obviously his rates went way up. Needless to say he got rid of that car immediately. I'm posting this here as a word of caution only. I did notice the problem the other day as I was preparing to make a left turn at the end of my block (T intersection, no stop signs). I looked right to make sure nobody was coming and started to go when I realized the A pillar had blocked my vision and there was in fact a car coming. So the bottom line is from now on I will be extra careful when checking for oncoming traffic or pedestrians given the amount of visibility blocked by the A pillars.

Thanks for the words of caution. I wonder how much help the eventual version of ADAS features in Lucid Air will bring in this regard.

I've only had my Dream for a week so haven't driven it much. Taking a trip up to Alice's at Four Corners later this morning!! One thing I've noticed that has me a little concerned is the blind spot caused by the large size of the A pillars. A good friend of mine had the old Cadillac electric car (upgraded Volt) and it also had very large A Pillars. He was on a one way street and was about to make a left turn at an intersection when a lady stepped out from in front of a large truck on his left side. Because of the truck and the large A pillar he didn't see her and he hit her while starting his turn at about 5 mph. She came up over the hood and hit her face/head on the windshield the Cadillac. Broke her nose and had a mild concussion. Wound up costing his insurance ~$100k and obviously his rates went way up. Needless to say he got rid of that car immediately. I'm posting this here as a word of caution only. I did notice the problem the other day as I was preparing to make a left turn at the end of my block (T intersection, no stop signs). I looked right to make sure nobody was coming and started to go when I realized the A pillar had blocked my vision and there was in fact a car coming. So the bottom line is from now on I will be extra careful when checking for oncoming traffic or pedestrians given the amount of visibility blocked by the A pillars.
The reduced visibility varies depending upon your height and seat position. However, it DEFINITELY is obstructive. The camera warning systems are very good, but you should prepare to double check and then again, particularly in populated areas of pedestrians and cars -- namely, everywhere except open roads of the Plains! Vigilance always, please.

does any sort of alarm goes off when you are about to hit a pedestrian?

i have experienced something similar on my current vehicle. turning left from a one way street to another one way street. it was night time and rainy. the dude walked at the same pace as my car was turning. fortunately, i saw a glimpse of his umbrella and slammed my brakes.

Last edited:
It will if you turn the park cameras on, you can see almost a full 180 in front and back of your car

It will if you turn the park cameras on, you can see almost a full 180 in front and back of your car
But, they are driving forward on the street. Can you keep that function on all the time?

But, they are driving forward on the street. Can you keep that function on all the time?
Not all the time, but once you engage it it'll stay on until around 15 mph

But do you engage it once per driving session or have to engage it every time you start from a stop sign or green light?

If the car DOES NOT detect an object it won't automatically load the parking system up. You can engage it anytime you want as long as you are going slower than 15 mph, but once you go over it will disengage

I think we're confusing two things, blind spot left towards rear is not what original poster is taking about. This is the A pillar blocking CROSS traffic ahead of you, a pedestrian in cross walk when you're at the stop line.

Thanks, on campus I have to be aware of this.

I’ve noticed the same issue on Left Turns….Fortunately the approaching car to my right stopped for me! It would be a nice solution if when stopped and the turn left turn signal is activated, the blind spot view comes on in the same direction as the turn(as prior), but the right side view screen showed the portion of surround camera view that is behind the “A” Pillar….maybe have that view on the Pilot panel??…I’d prefer it showing opposite the left blind spot…maybe the reverse for a right turn while stoped, although I don’t know if that’s as much of an issue.

I don’t find the pillars are an issue at all.
I noticed it right away (having sold the R129 which has the best pilot visibility of any automobile).
Yesterday at a T intersection I almost killed myself twice, once from the left and once from the right ... did not see either car AT ALL.

This is a regular occurrence for me ... I'm thinking it's the 30% tinting (I've never had it before) and I will remove it,

but still , those huge pillars block an enormous amount of information that is NOT covered by any camera.

Oh Blinding Light !
Oh Light that blinds!
I cannot see...
watch out
for me.
iu

I’ve noticed similar. Definitely more cautious in the Lucid than my other vehicle.

Back