80% vs 100% charge

Thanks so much for this thread. I've been trying not to visit here so much because I post like I'm talking to friends at a bar and that gets me in trouble, but every day I learn things here. What an amazing community.

There is an EA charger 6 mi from home so even though I have a Betty Boop installed I haven't been using it. After reading this thread I went to my "home" EA charger and topped off (79%), (it's next to a Whole Foods so walked to buy dinner fixin's ... saw "charging complete" as I was just meters from the car after shopping ...having a perfect day). Now plugged into my BettyB as per these experts recommendation. My only issue is the charger cable is between door and workbench...
PXL_20230308_213904654.jpg

You know what’s funny I realized tonight about whether or not I want to plug in over night, it doesn’t matter bc when they update the charger to reverse power the house I’m going to want it plugged in to kick on! 😅 so guess I’m going in either way! Haha

If you are oNly charging once or twice a week, I would actually set it lower, say to 60% or 70% and just plug it in every night. I only charge to 100% if I am leaving for a trip the next morning.
Exactly what I do. Charge once a week to 66%. When it's time to recharge, I'm typically at 38-45%.

Early on, I saw some scientific report on car batteries in general and came away with using this 33-66% strategy as being highly effective over the long term.

My original post is here: https://lucidowners.com/threads/any...larity-when-battery-at-50-60.4463/post-109802
With my analysis here: https://lucidowners.com/threads/any...larity-when-battery-at-50-60.4463/post-110069

Our previous car was a Nissan Leaf. We leased the car for three years. Because of the short range we always charged to 100 percent. When we returned the car after three years the battery tested 100 percent with no degradation.

Our previous car was a Nissan Leaf. We leased the car for three years. Because of the short range we always charged to 100 percent. When we returned the car after three years the battery tested 100 percent with no degradation.
After four years, my 2011 Nissan leaf had lost 25% of its range. I charged it carefully. Nissan management wanted to ship the Leaf then even though its battery engineers thought it wasn't ready yet. Different battery chemistries will have different results: LFP vs NMC and other smaller formulation differences.

Last edited:
After four years, my 2011 Nissan leaf had lost 25% of its range. I charged it carefully.
This is what confused me... aren't Nisaan leaf's known for terribly bad BMS (and don't they tend to, as a result, lose a lot of their capacity)?

This is what confused me... aren't Nisaan leaf's known for terribly bad BMS (and don't they tend to, as a result, lose a lot of their capacity)?
Many factors determine battery degradation. Nissan Leafs do not have a battery thermal management system - they are air cooled. Also, the battery chemistry in early Leafs had a long way to go.

Many factors determine battery degradation. Nissan Leafs do not have a battery thermal management system - they are air cooled. Also, the battery chemistry in early Leafs had a long way to go.
I leased a Leaf SL in 2015 and can attest to this. In an Atlanta winter, 25 -40 deg F, my Leaf would barely eke out 60 miles.
Contrast this to my AGT and I never have to worry and charge daily to 80% which more than enough.

After four years, my 2011 Nissan leaf had lost 25% of its range. I charged it carefully. Nissan management wanted to ship the Leaf then even though its battery engineers thought it wasn't ready yet. Different battery chemistries will have different results: LFP vs NMC and other smaller formulation differences.
After 5-1/2 years, our 2018 Nissan Leaf had to have the HV battery replaced under warranty. The Leafs have ZERO battery management since the battery is air cooled and as a consequence, there is substantial degradation,especially with high voltage charging. The upside to the battery replacement is that I have essentially a new EV with 80k miles on it and we will only L2 charge it as it is just a local car.

Back