7500 EV tax credit update with new bill

Will you continue to purchase without the EV Credit?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
I don’t get why the deposit is $300 for the Pure and $1000 for the Touring? Just make it $300 for either one. Very stupid approach. I have no problem putting down $300 and potentially losing it if something happens to Lucid or if it takes them a long time to produce these and I get something else. But, $1000 I have an issue with. Just a poor business practice. I don’t see Tesla doing that, who is the EV leader.

I don’t get why the deposit is $300 for the Pure and $1000 for the Touring? Just make it $300 for either one. Very stupid approach. I have no problem putting down $300 and potentially losing it if something happens to Lucid or if it takes them a long time to produce these and I get something else. But, $1000 I have an issue with. Just a poor business practice. I don’t see Tesla doing that, who is the EV leader.
Tesla is asking $50k deposit for Roadster years in advance, but $250 for Model-Y? Why? Cost of luxury. 🤷‍♂️

Tesla is asking $50k deposit for Roadster years in advance, but $250 for Model-Y? Why? Cost of luxury. 🤷‍♂️
Big difference. Look at their mainstream cars and then post again. IE… the Y/3/S//X. They are all the sane deposit.

Not sure why people just accept things and go along with it. 🤔

Big difference. Look at their mainstream cars and then post again. IE… the Y/3/S//X. They are all the sane deposit.

Not sure why people just accept Tesla raising 100 deposit to 250 deposit, but keep CyberTruck at 100 deposit? Why do people accept that? 🤔

I wouldn’t call ModelX mainstream yet for its new price range…

ModelX plaid w/ FSD or other options > (Air Pure [lowest trim] + R1S Adventure [highest trim] )

Even before factoring 7500 x 2 Federal tax credit = 15k

Not sure why people just accept Tesla raising 100 deposit to 250 deposit, but keep CyberTruck at 100 deposit? Why do people accept that? 🤔
Tesla seem to getting away with so many things, this is just one of that.

got a response from my SA, here's pretty much the main points

1) we do not need to finalize the vehicle design. final configuration and design can be placed once production begins
2) "Should you confirm your Air Pure order and wish to upgrade after receiving your invite to order you may upgrade and remain eligible, considering the order is confirmed by no later than August 12th." - i assume this means, if we confirm the pure order now, and months later, they start touring production and we want to upgrade, we will be able to upgrade and keep original pricing AND the tax credit, assuming that we did this current "deposit lock-in confirmation" before August 12th.
I pray that this is true. So, has anyone heard that if you try to upgrade to the new stealth trim that you would no longer be eligible for the pre-July 1 pricing?

I tried to get more information about the Stealth Trim with my DA who is out sick and forwarded me to his partner. His partner told me (today) that if I chose to add the stealth trim, I would no longer qualify for the GT at $139k and would be moved to the current price of $154K. He also advised that since I have been confirmed (as of June 30th…no VIN yet), I could not make any adjustments to the car at all unless I am willing to forfeit the $139k price tag for the new $154k amount. I explained to him that my DA and I have spoken about this several times for I am still undecided on the Santa Cruz and Tahoe interiors, and that my DA repeatedly told me that I still had time to make Changes.

Now I am completely confused for I feel like I have been misled the whole time and can’t make a change without being charged $15k. In addition, it is kinda weak that us early people can’t add the stealth trim without being charged the post-June 30 amount.

I pray that this is true. So, has anyone heard that if you try to upgrade to the new stealth trim that you would no longer be eligible for the pre-July 1 pricing?

I tried to get more information about the Stealth Trim with my DA who is out sick and forwarded me to his partner. His partner told me (today) that if I chose to add the stealth trim, I would no longer qualify for the GT at $139k and would be moved to the current price of $154K. He also advised that since I have been confirmed (as of June 30th…no VIN yet), I could not make any adjustments to the car at all unless I am willing to forfeit the $139k price tag for the new $154k amount. I explained to him that my DA and I have spoken about this several times for I am still undecided on the Santa Cruz and Tahoe interiors, and that my DA repeatedly told me that I still had time to make Changes.

Now I am completely confused for I feel like I have been misled the whole time and can’t make a change without being charged $15k. In addition, it is kinda weak that us early people can’t add the stealth trim without being charged the post-June 30 amount.
The stealth I could see them not letting you do. That wasn't an available option at the time of your original-priced reservation, so they never promised it to you. I think it would be stupid not to want to take your 6k (and be able to safely push your reservation out until next year) but who knows what they are thinking there. Maybe they want to get as many GTs out the door as possible this year, and the stealth would take your car out of that equation? At least there's some rationale for that decision.

But then why offer stealth this year? The only way stealth makes sense to me is to allow them to delay some GT orders to get Touring and Pure started.

Not letting you change the color of your exterior, interior, or wheels makes no sense to me. I was told many times that options are finalized at the time of confirmation. And some here have made changes after confirmation. That has to be incorrect info this person is giving you.

Tesla Model S was $5,000 refundable deposit on a reservation when it was first announced and ramping up production. Tesla Model 3 was $1,000 refundable deposit on a reservation when it was first announced and ramping up production. Now that production has ramped up for them, they aren't requesting for a reservation deposit anymore. Now Tesla charges an additional non-refundable "order fee" of $250 instead. This is not a deposit towards the cost of the vehicle purchase, this is an additional fee on top of the cost of the vehicle to place your order.

Lucid is asking for refundable deposits put towards the cost of purchasing the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stealth I could see them not letting you do. That wasn't an available option at the time of your original-priced reservation, so they never promised it to you. I think it would be stupid not to want to take your 6k (and be able to safely push your reservation out until next year) but who knows what they are thinking there. Maybe they want to get as many GTs out the door as possible this year, and the stealth would take your car out of that equation? At least there's some rationale for that decision.

But then why offer stealth this year? The only way stealth makes sense to me is to allow them to delay some GT orders to get Touring and Pure started.

Not letting you change the color of your exterior, interior, or wheels makes no sense to me. I was told many times that options are finalized at the time of confirmation. And some here have made changes after confirmation. That has to be incorrect info this person is giving you.
I agree and Im going to try calling Lucid tomorrow to get more info since my DA is out with COVID.

Thanks for the feedback @joec

I'm glad Lucid is doing this. This bill is so laughably stupid. SUVs/Truck EVs get less than 1/2 the efficiency of the Air, not to mention the bigger carbon footprint to build them because of larger battery packs, larger tires, larger everything. So yeah let's subsidize those, but not subsidize cutting edge technology which would cut in half the power drawn from the grid for EV charging. At least I hope this motivates those who were probably gonna get a Lucid to go ahead and commit, certainly looks like that's what's happening!
The EV portion of the bill is so bad it’s mind boggling. I don’t mind the income limits, etc, but there should be no limit on the price of a vehicle. An expensive EV is just as , or in many cases, more carbon reducing than a cheap one. But I think there is a certain senator ( we know who he is ) who would not agree to anything unless he got his conditions and language firmly spelled out .
Disappointing to say the least. Hopefully in the long run it won’t mean much . Ok, I had my tirade and I feel much better now.

I did suck it up and confirm anyway independent of how the credit stuff shakes out, since I figure I was planning on confirming if they reached out this month anyhow :p

I confirmed today. If they survive and I get my car (which I think I will), then I could save an extra $7500 off the price of the car. If they don't make it, what's an other $300 loss on top of the stock I already own? :cool:

I wouldn’t pay $6000 for nothing more than a different color paint on various pieces of trim and moldings.

I can certainly afford the car, as I have an AGT on order. But $6000 seems outrageous.

I wouldn’t pay $6000 for nothing more than a different color paint on various pieces of trim and moldings.

I can certainly afford the car, as I have an AGT on order. But $6000 seems outrageous.
I think you'd easily pay 4 to an outside shop to do something similar. And then you'd have to deal with them for warranty issues. Or if they break something while installing, forget to put something back together properly, etc.

Considering what most car companies charge for these sorts of cosmetic things, I think the price is about right.

I think you'd easily pay 4 to an outside shop to do something similar. And then you'd have to deal with them for warranty issues. Or if they break something while installing, forget to put something back together properly, etc.

Considering what most car companies charge for these sorts of cosmetic things, I think the price is about right.
I disagree. I wouldn’t pay more than $2000. It’s totally cosmetic and probably costs Lucid close to $0.

I disagree. I wouldn’t pay more than $2000. It’s totally cosmetic and probably costs Lucid close to $0.
Yeah, but that's not how automotive options work. They charge what people will pay. Not what it costs them.

$2k is what it's worth to you. Others may have been willing to pay $10k.

Heck, people in this forum pay more than $6k to wrap their cars in clear PPF. On a $150k car, $6k is an afterthought.

If you see no stealth Airs on the road in two years, you'll know the price is too expensive. My guess is they did their research and they know where the maximum profit price is.

I doubt it costs Lucid zero. Right now it costs Lucid $680k to produce 1 car. It is a bargain at the moment with that ratio.

Back