60-0 Braking distance

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
Given the weight of the Air, I'm curious if there are data on breaking parameters such as 60-0, etc.
Since we've not heard any negative feedback from the current Dream owners, I assume the brakes are sufficiently effective.
Would be nice, though, if there's some number to compare.

Given the weight of the Air, I'm curious if there are data on breaking parameters such as 60-0, etc.
Since we've not heard any negative feedback from the current Dream owners, I assume the brakes are sufficiently effective.
Would be nice, though, if there's some number to compare.

I don’t have numbers but qualitatively it’s been fantastic.

I haven't read any tested numbers, but my impression also is that they are going to compare favorably with other heavy sport sedans.

Motor Trend lists a 60 to 0 distance of 115 ft. This appears to be their own test with an AGT with 21” tires. They also list a 0 to 60 of 3 sec for the AGT with quarter mile in 10.3 sec in case you need to move fast after stopping.

The Air brakes and handles well for a luxury car, too. It lapped our figure-eight course in 24.6 seconds while averaging 0.83 g—reasonable, but among the slower times in the segment. Its best 60-0-mph panic stop required 115 feet.

I wondered the same about stopping distance on 19" tires and just watched the recent Edmunds review that reported 127' 60-0 on 19" tires. They also did not like the 49 pounds of air pressure in the 19's or the lack of stability. I may just go with the 20" wheels and hope that Pirelli makes Sottozeros for those wheels by this fall. If this means waiting for a few months longer for my ordered AGT, then be it so. I definitely want a car that stops and 127" is just too long from 60 mph. I also want a car that is fun to drive without concern about precisely where my wheels are placed on the road. (I say all this about dynamic concerns knowing that Lucid's multiple software and parking camera concerns appear to require much correction.)

I wondered the same about stopping distance on 19" tires and just watched the recent Edmunds review that reported 127' 60-0 on 19" tires. They also did not like the 49 pounds of air pressure in the 19's or the lack of stability. I may just go with the 20" wheels and hope that Pirelli makes Sottozeros for those wheels by this fall. If this means waiting for a few months longer for my ordered AGT, then be it so. I definitely want a car that stops and 127" is just too long from 60 mph. I also want a car that is fun to drive without concern about precisely where my wheels are placed on the road. (I say all this about dynamic concerns knowing that Lucid's multiple software and parking camera concerns appear to require much correction.)
I’m thinking similar for my Pure when it gets to that point. The roads here are not good and may not be kind on 20’s but the stock tires on the 19’s seem to have a pretty big performance drop. 127’ is not very good at all for a modern sedan, let alone a high end performance model, and the tester seemed quite unsettled when braking down from the 0-60 timed run. For point of reference Edmunds measured the Model S Plaid stopping distance as 107’! I have to imagine the difference is all in the tires and wheels versus quality of brake system etc.

I also don’t think there has been any info as to whether the lower trims will receive the same brakes as the Dream Edition. I will see what I can find out from Lucid.

I’m thinking similar for my Pure when it gets to that point. The roads here are not good and may not be kind on 20’s but the stock tires on the 19’s seem to have a pretty big performance drop. 127’ is not very good at all for a modern sedan, let alone a high end performance model, and the tester seemed quite unsettled when braking down from the 0-60 timed run. For point of reference Edmunds measured the Model S Plaid stopping distance as 107’! I have to imagine the difference is all in the tires and wheels versus quality of brake system etc.

I also don’t think there has been any info as to whether the lower trims will receive the same brakes as the Dream Edition. I will see what I can find out from Lucid.
The Plaid uses 255 front, 285 back.

That is a huge difference. Even compared to the DEP which used 245/265.

I wonder how they did the 60-0 test. Did they have Max regen on? I’d think that insane motor braking would help the disc brakes. The max regen setting is so good and strong in this car that I literally have not used the brake pedal except when getting into the car.

The Plaid uses 255 front, 285 back.

That is a huge difference. Even compared to the DEP which used 245/265.
I know- I’m just starting to question if the 245 All Seasons on 19” wheels are appropriate for this car if the result is 127’ to stop from 60mph.

Note that the Plaid is far from a gold standard as far as braking. Many (most?) modern high end performance sedans have shorter stopping distance (with the advantage for ICE cars of lower weight to deal with)

For context a 2012 Prius C’s stopping distance was measured at 127’ by Edmunds.

I wonder how they did the 60-0 test. Did they have Max regen on? I’d think that insane motor braking would help the disc brakes. The max regen setting is so good and strong in this car that I literally have not used the brake pedal except when getting into the car.
Even with insane motor braking, in the end the stopping limit would be the traction limits of tires unless you are talking about a car with undersized brakes (in which case I would think high regen would provide better results than no regen). I have a feeling the Air’s brakes themselves are not undersized.

100% tires.

I highly doubt the brakes (calipers and rotors) are undersized for the car. The calipers and rotors are like heatsinks for the braking system. A well design system will be able to take multiple repeated stops without overheating. You could try to use a brake pad with more "bite" but it won't really slow the car faster because more than likely the pads will cause the tires to lose traction sooner resulting in ABS engagement. Once the ABS comes on, your stopping distance will lengthen. (Assuming you are using the same "not so sticky" tires)

Stopping distance however, it going to come down to the tires contact patch with the road surface and stickiness. Throw a stickier tire on the rim and you'll see your stopping distances plummet. This is the draw back when chasing range, you can't have you cake and eat it too. If you pump your tire up, it reduces contact patch, which is you get more range because rolling resistance is reduced. But when you ask the tire to do work, cornering/braking/accelerating, this reduction in contact patch results in a loss in performance. The same goes for using a less sticky tire or a tire with a higher wear rating, these tires don't "grip" as well, don't wear as fast. This can result in lower rolling resistance and better range, but again when you ask the tire to do work it will fall short when compared to a stickier tire.

As for 19 vs 21 vs any other size. It comes down to the tire used. Personally, I always go with the smaller wheel because tires of the same spec will always be cheaper. Very rarely will you see a 21inch version of tire A be cheaper than the same version of tire A but in a 19inch size. And of course wheels of the same design, using the same material will generally result in a 19 being lighter than a 21, which results in less unsprung weight. But I'm starting to get off topic now.

As for the Tesla, I think the Plaid is using PS4S tire, which is a VERY VERY good well rounded summer tire. Some might say it is one of the best if not THE BEST choice for an all around summer tire. I've never driven a car on the P-Zero HL tires, but I can tell you that the PS4S is not marketed as a high comfort, low rolling resistance tire. As a result comparing 60-0 distance between these two tires is not a fair comparison at all. I'm also not sure which model P-Zero comes on the 21inch wheels.

It would be interesting to see what the 60-0 stopping distances would be if the Lucid was rocking some PS4S tires though, maybe one of the snazzy youtube journalists reading these forums posts might give it a go. You know.....for science!

According to https://lucidowners.com/threads/touring-standard-equipment.859/#post-19532, the 20s will come with Michelin Pilot Sport. Hopefully we will see some real world #s soon.
But which one? There are several Michelin Sports. A Michelin Sport EV mostly likely won't perform the same as a Sport 4s. Just like a Sport 4s won't perform as well as a Sport Cup 2.

It is all intentionally very confusing. Look at how many different P-Zeros Pirelli offers.

Marketing at its finest.

As a results of the Edmund's review and conversations with current owners whom I met today, I'm totally directionless. :)

I don’t have numbers but qualitatively it’s been fantastic.
I agree. The pedal feel is much better than the Mercedes EQS.

seems 127 is in the ballpark with a gas fired vehicle, per consumer reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/best-and-worst-braking-distances-a2960086475/

Consumer Reports has consistently longer braking distances than Edmunds though- I think it can be fraught to compare between different sources as they use different track surfaces for their testing. (CR testing is in CT so probably a terrible surface representative of our NE roads :) ) CR hasn’t tested a Lucid Air yet but I assume they will.

Edmunds consistently seems to get high performance car results in the 100’-110’ range, sometimes under 100’. I assume their surface in SoCal is better.

When I get closer I’ll see what aftermarket tire options are available. I don’t mind losing a little range if it means a better performing tire compressor to stock.

fair enough. I drive in the real world on less than perfect track conditions with aggressive Texas drivers, and as such, have never worried about how close I can safely follow someone, rather, I safely keep my distance. Like anything else, these statistics are interesting, but the fact of the matter , is I am loving this vehicle and am quite happy about my purchase decision.

Back