50 amp circuit...Chargepoint Home Flex...should I go hard wired or plug?

Steveinarizona

Cars
Genesis GV60 Performance
I was planning on going hard wired but I have seen postings here of problems with the Home Flex and replacement units being required. If I use a plug, I can just do that myself; if I go hard wired, I need to bring back my electrician.

So...on a 50 AMP circuit, which way should I go and why?

I am having the electrician in in just over a week so your advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

I was planning on going hard wired but I have seen postings here of problems with the Home Flex and replacement units being required. If I use a plug, I can just do that myself; if I go hard wired, I need to bring back my electrician.

So...on a 50 AMP circuit, which way should I go and why?

I am having the electrician in in just over a week so your advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
I would go the hardwired approach. I did that with a 60AMP breaker and get a little faster charging, but not much. The wires are connected internally with snap down connectors, so easy to disconnect.

I had my CP Home flex hard wired to a 50amp circuit and no problems in the first month.

My chargepoint worked perfect up until the most recent update when it would throw charging errors on the car. I don't blame the chargepoint, but it also shouldn't be tripping requiring a breaker reset everytime I'm able to charge either.

My chargepoint worked perfect up until the most recent update when it would throw charging errors on the car. I don't blame the chargepoint, but it also shouldn't be tripping requiring a breaker reset everytime I'm able to charge either.
It’s a Lucid issue. I’m not tripping Circuit breakers However, I was getting errors thrown because the car could not detect a current with the scheduled charging. Now it doesn’t throw the error, but will not start charging unless I wake the car after midnight. Definitely need to get that resolved.

It’s a Lucid issue. I’m not tripping Circuit breakers However, I was getting errors thrown because the car could not detect a current with the scheduled charging. Now it doesn’t throw the error, but will not start charging unless I wake the car after midnight. Definitely need to get that resolved.
It wasn't the circuit breaker tripping, but the EVSE itself that was having some sort of error which a software reboot didn't fix and you could only fix it with a breaker reset. Whatever the red triangle on the left side of the unit indicates.

I'd hardwire for sure. To demount the Chargepoint from the wall, you have to turn off the circuit breaker (or unplug it) and remove the unit's wiring access panel in order to get to the mounting screws. With that done, pulling out the "hard" wires is not any more difficult than pulling out a plug.

I'd hardwire for sure. To demount the Chargepoint from the wall, you have to turn off the circuit breaker and remove the unit's wiring access panel in order to get to the mounting screws. With that done, pulling out the "hard" wires is not any more difficult than pulling out a plug.
Yes, replacing the unit is just that simple. If you have a screwdriver and know how to turn off the breaker, you're in business.
Heck, I can even come to your house and do it with you.

It wasn't the circuit breaker tripping, but the EVSE itself that was having some sort of error which a software reboot didn't fix and you could only fix it with a breaker reset. Whatever the red triangle on the left side of the unit indicates.
I have read that Chargepoint prefers that the breaker not be GFCI. Is yours?

I would go plug in, if your wall unit ever goes down you can easily switch to Lucid supplied charger.
I appreciated my friends Tesla charger being a plugin as I was able to plug the Luci charger into his circuit while on a recent trip.

I have read that Chargepoint prefers that the breaker not be GFCI. Is yours?
Nope. Just a note, the Chargepoint was working fine for the previous 10 months before the big update.

No problem with 2.0.24 and Chargepoint charging for me so far. Mine does not have GFCI and is hard-wired.

Back