2500 mile road trip--Seattle exburbs to Santa Barbara and back

Unmutual

Cars
Unverified AGT Owner :)
This is the third road trip in excess of 1500 miles that I've taken with the AGT and the longest by a good bit. The car itself was nearly flawless: CarPlay dropped once and restarted on its own after a few minutes, and SiriusXM dropped and came back immediately after I switched to AM/FM and then back to Sirius. That's it. Efficiency was excellent on the way down given the terrain on I-5, 3.9 miles/kWh; on the return leg efficiency dropped to 3.2, but it rained all the way from Grants Pass in Oregon to home, and we all know what rain does to efficiency. I'm on the stock 19s with aero covers.

As usual, the worst part of the road trip was the EA "experience." I always try to charge before I get to 35% or so, which was a good thing since several locations north of Santa Barbara didn't work at all, and others had one charger working out of 4, with the working one always occupied. Several times I called EA to try to have them cycle the charger: that worked once, and the other times I was told that the charger was out-of-order even though it said it was "ready." Frustrating as hell, but my blood pressure meds prevented me from stroking out.

Oddly, I saw only one other Lucid on the entire trip, a GT charging at the EA at the Great Mall in Milpitas, CA; it had Arizona plates. On my prior trip to San Jose/Cupertino I saw several Lucids, so I was expecting to see even more this time around.

Anyway, home safely and very pleased with the car. No other long trips planned except for a run to Cannon Beach in June to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, but the car does get to go on spontaneous drives every so often just to make sure it knows I care.

This is the third road trip in excess of 1500 miles that I've taken with the AGT and the longest by a good bit. The car itself was nearly flawless: CarPlay dropped once and restarted on its own after a few minutes, and SiriusXM dropped and came back immediately after I switched to AM/FM and then back to Sirius. That's it. Efficiency was excellent on the way down given the terrain on I-5, 3.9 miles/kWh; on the return leg efficiency dropped to 3.2, but it rained all the way from Grants Pass in Oregon to home, and we all know what rain does to efficiency. I'm on the stock 19s with aero covers.

As usual, the worst part of the road trip was the EA "experience." I always try to charge before I get to 35% or so, which was a good thing since several locations north of Santa Barbara didn't work at all, and others had one charger working out of 4, with the working one always occupied. Several times I called EA to try to have them cycle the charger: that worked once, and the other times I was told that the charger was out-of-order even though it said it was "ready." Frustrating as hell, but my blood pressure meds prevented me from stroking out.

Oddly, I saw only one other Lucid on the entire trip, a GT charging at the EA at the Great Mall in Milpitas, CA; it had Arizona plates. On my prior trip to San Jose/Cupertino I saw several Lucids, so I was expecting to see even more this time around.

Anyway, home safely and very pleased with the car. No other long trips planned except for a run to Cannon Beach in June to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, but the car does get to go on spontaneous drives every so often just to make sure it knows I care.
Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary!

I’ve found the advantage the Lucid has over every other EV is being able to charge less thus reducing exposure to the bad charging infrastructure. I became acutely aware of this when my wife tried to take her Volvo XC40 EV to Vermont and got screwed by not being able to charge at a bad EVGo charger, then charged very slowly to 91% at an EA in New Hampshire but still couldn’t make it back home without me giving her a few kW off of the Lucid RangeXChange cable. The charging infrastructure IMO is doing a disappointing job of improving at the pace it needs to, so I’m really glad I have the Lucid which give me more flexibility.

I’ve found the advantage the Lucid has over every other EV is being able to charge less thus reducing exposure to the bad charging infrastructure. I became acutely aware of this when my wife tried to take her Volvo XC40 EV to Vermont and got screwed by not being able to charge at a bad EVGo charger, then charged very slowly to 91% at an EA in New Hampshire but still couldn’t make it back home without me giving her a few kW off of the Lucid RangeXChange cable. The charging infrastructure IMO is doing a disappointing job of improving at the pace it needs to, so I’m really glad I have the Lucid which give me more flexibility.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

What I noticed recently was that the EA stations near me in Fremont at Walmart and at Foodmax at 880 and Stevenson Blvd in Newark are all working well. There are 4 at Foodmax and 3 at Walmart. At Great mall, all were working the last 2 times I was there. Perhaps they are improving. Also I get lucky in 19s and get 3.6 miles per kWh over 15k miles. Today without the need for AC or heat, I got 4 miles per kWh in 55 miles between Fremont and San Jose. I needed only total 110% to drive one way 360 miles to LA every single time at HA set to 72 and heat or AC as needed.
Lucid is so damn efficient.

What I noticed recently was that the EA stations near me in Fremont at Walmart and at Foodmax at 880 and Stevenson Blvd in Newark are all working well. There are 4 at Foodmax and 3 at Walmart. At Great mall, all were working the last 2 times I was there. Perhaps they are improving. Also I get lucky in 19s and get 3.6 miles per kWh over 15k miles. Today without the need for AC or heat, I got 4 miles per kWh in 55 miles between Fremont and San Jose. I needed only total 110% to drive one way 360 miles to LA every single time at HA set to 72 and heat or AC as needed.
Lucid is so damn efficient.
Yeah but if you set the HA to 72 (70 mph in real world) then you run the risk of lots of rock chips as the semi trucks pass you by.

Yeah but if you set the HA to 72 (70 mph in real world) then you run the risk of lots of rock chips as the semi trucks pass you by.
That's what PPF and ceramic are for. :)

I drive faster to avoid trucks and I am nowhere near them

Back