2.0.15 - The MOAU - Mother Of All Updates

Could this be a setting on the iPhone related to allowing apps to sleep / power management?
I've got all the options on. Background app refresh, Location always on, Notifications. I keep the app running. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be the battery drain that the Tesla app is. And all the recent iPhones have really good battery life anyway.

I'm sure there will be software update and an app update soon that will keep improving it. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. But really, not something that's bothering me a lot.

It's been driving my wife nuts with her Model 3 b/c she doesn't always have her phone but she always has her watch!

Just for you, I went outside to do some testing.

1. Does NOT work as a standalone bluetooth key. So won't unlock car while next to it. Not a surprise.
2. Could not pair it as a standalone bluetooth device. Maybe someone that knows this better than me could get it to work but I doubt it.
3. Generally works same as phone. Can pull up Watch App and get similar functionality with watch working in conjunction with phone.

And for the real fun.
4. Left phone behind and just used watch. While BT key doesn't work, you can pull up the app and use the unlock command to get into car.
5. Can drive after entering PIN! My facial recognition did confirm so not sure if that's a needed step.

So if you lose your phone while out, the Watch is good enough to unlock your car and let you drive it home. Could also be helpful for opening trunk and frunk.

I have a cellular enabled Apple Watch.

For those of you that don't own an Apple Watch, you'll want the cellular enabled one otherwise it will need to be tethered to your iPhone for connectivity since a direct BT connection to the car won't work.
Rivian has wristband key
Apple Watch make it interesting option because when you go out jogging and biking, you don’t really need to have key fob and phone on you.

Rivian has wristband key
Apple Watch make it interesting option because when you go out jogging and biking, you don’t really need to have key fob and phone on you.
Exactly. My wife wants to be able to turn off Bluetooth and lock the phone in the car bc she doesn’t want it for the run. Then get back and be able to unlock the car with her watch.

Really stunned Tesla hasn’t accommodated that yet.

...But really, not something that's bothering me a lot.
I feel now that we'll all need to close our minor gripes/work-in-progress criticisms with a statement like this, due to the presence of journalistic snooping in the forum.

I feel now that we'll all need to close our minor gripes/work-in-progress criticisms with a statement like this, due to the presence of journalistic snooping in the forum.
I agree. I got into my Model S this morning and the entertainment system had switched from what I was previously listening to. I casually flipped through the menus to get it to play what I wanted, and realized that if this had happened on my Lucid, I would have been a lot more frustrated. Maybe our expectations Are getting out of hand.

The latest update still has some quirks but nothing that’s a deal breaker. I did a LA to SF trip on Tuesday and was practically flawless. Tidal only cut out where coverage was limited but picked straight back up where it left off when back in coverage. Highway assist was freaking out in a couple of places but nothing I was really worried about.

This mornings issue, the speakers are all muffled and crackly. Just did a valet reset so Hopefully that fixes it but again, nothing where I’m throwing my hands up in the air and screaming “f*ing Lucid” 😂

Exactly. My wife wants to be able to turn off Bluetooth and lock the phone in the car bc she doesn’t want it for the run. Then get back and be able to unlock the car with her watch.

Really stunned Tesla hasn’t accommodated that yet.
I was surprised when I turned of my iPhone (also used as mobile key) and the Lucid Watch App still worked to unlock the door. I get messages on the watch from the Lucid App something to the effect to “Sign into the Lucid mobile app…”, which I am already signed into:
9EED22AB-D124-4450-AE97-E092EFD033B7.png

But when the iPhone is off, there is no way for the watch to communicate with the phone, yet it still lets me control the car. I guess this indicates that watch communicates with the Lucid servers directly. And somehow the fact that the Lucid mobile app had signed in before, allows the watch in. It could also be that the watch remembers the iPhone’s security tokens for a while.

I was surprised when I turned of my iPhone (also used as mobile key) and the Lucid Watch App still worked to unlock the door. I get messages on the watch from the Lucid App something to the effect to “Sign into the Lucid mobile app…”, which I am already signed into:
View attachment 6575

But when the iPhone is off, there is no way for the watch to communicate with the phone, yet it still lets me control the car. I guess this indicates that watch communicates with the Lucid servers directly. And somehow the fact that the Lucid mobile app had signed in before, allows the watch in. It could also be that the watch remembers the iPhone’s security tokens for a while.
If your watch has cellular connectivity, it can take it a few minutes to activate that connection after it loses your phone. Once it establishes its own data connection, then it can connect to the car on its own.

I also had the watch unlock the car once right after I put the phone in airplane mode with BT off and then walked to the car. Your speculation is as good as any as to why that happened once. Maybe a token or something else.

Point is, I wouldn’t count on that always happening. The good news is, the behavior does appear to be, connect to servers with watch, press the unlock command, confirm you want to unlock and you’re good. So there is a reliable way to get into the car with just the watch.

All this assuming you have decent cellular access.

Hopefully they do build in a direct BT connection from the watch to the car for those times you don’t have a usable cellular connection. Just easier for a short range direct connection than watch to server to car (all vis cellular).

If your watch has cellular connectivity, it can take it a few minutes to activate that connection after it loses your phone. Once it establishes its own data connection, then it can connect to the car on its own.

I also had the watch unlock the car once right after I put the phone in airplane mode with BT off and then walked to the car. Your speculation is as good as any as to why that happened once. Maybe a token or something else.

Point is, I wouldn’t count on that always happening. The good news is, the behavior does appear to be, connect to servers with watch, press the unlock command, confirm you want to unlock and you’re good. So there is a reliable way to get into the car with just the watch.

All this assuming you have decent cellular access.

Hopefully they do build in a direct BT connection from the watch to the car for those times you don’t have a usable cellular connection. Just easier for a short range direct connection than watch to server to car (all vis cellular).
When I did my test, my watch was connected to WiFi, but I do have cellular. I don't think it matters in either case.

There are several Apple Watch apps for Tesla that talk to the Tesla Server directly. They all require that you connect from your phone first, so they are using a login token. Probably, Lucid does the same, and like you said I would not rely on this, especially if the watch has not connected to the phone for a while. I wish Lucid would let us know more specifically how this works so we can see if we can rely on this.

Hi all, my car is upto date with the current software. Still having several problems. One day the backup camera doesn’t work, then the sound system doesn’t work. It gets better with card reset. We don’t have to go through with these issues after paying a huge price for the car. Love the car but hate the software part. Any solution for all these minor issues

Hi all, my car is upto date with the current software. Still having several problems. One day the backup camera doesn’t work, then the sound system doesn’t work. It gets better with card reset. We don’t have to go through with these issues after paying a huge price for the car. Love the car but hate the software part. Any solution for all these minor issues
It's going to take more time to get the software "finished". My guess, by March-April.

I hate the “huge price we paid” narrative.

Leave that part out.
Why? I paid $169,000 for my car and some have paid more for their GTs. There is an expectation when you spend that much on a car.

View attachment 6575

Do you have iWatch with cellular?

I’m always able to open with one finger, it’s just a question of when. Not to pile on, but other vehicles I have from the 2020’s you can open truck/hatch with your foot.
On my father’s BMW the foot waver trunk tech never has worked consistently, meaning minimum of 4 or 5 foot waves, by then he is losing his balance and just presses the button! Plus you look like an idiot or at the very least feel like an idiot “dancing” on one foot in a parking lot.

Ah yes this forum so many times has been down this road where it is revealed that so many people think more money buys them less issues. Money doesn’t buy the time necessary to polish something like new software and iron out wrinkles, nor does it buy your way out of a supply chain shortage or quality employee shortage or truck driver shortage or whatever problem the company has had where someone would like to apply the “I paid big bucks for this and this shouldn’t happen” attitude. If you’re at a fancy steak house then I can understand saying “I paid $80 for this steak that I wanted medium rare and it’s medium!”, but Lucid motors is not your waitress. Yes you are right that your backup camera should not glitch out. I’m sure Lucid would agree with you. But it’s not because of what the car costs, it’s because it’s a complex vehicle with a complete software rebuild that’s two months old, and some things that have been built from the ground up may not work correctly on the first or tenth revision but they’re actively working on improving it and resolving all issues. If a big price tag was supposed to buy a glitch free vehicle ownership experience then you should meet owners of Jaguar or Alfa Romeo or Land Rover.

Back