1600 mile trip Review

SubSailor

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Tesla M3, AirGT
Just finished a R/T from Tucson to Avon, CO, which was about 1600 miles. 2022 Lucid Air GT with 19-inch wheels. EA charging was flawless in Show Low, AZ, Gallup, NM, Moab, UT & Edwards, CO. I cannot say enough about Moab EA charging station which has eight 350 stations with one pull thru station that was terrific. It is at Lions Park which is almost at the entrance to Arches National Park. There also is a Tesla Supercharger site close that has the universal setup. I was the only car present but even at 32% my max charge rate was 245.
Car was fantastic and handled the road with efficiency from 3.2 to 4.0 depending, of course, on speed and weather. Driver & passenger comfort is unreal. The seat adjustments, cooling and massage are awesome in reducing butt fatigue.
Things that bother me:
1. Tire pressures did not hold on rough New Mexico roads. I had to add air twice during the trip but had no noticeable tire damage. I have air compressor in frunk.
2. Steering wheel creak started and increased during the trip.
3. Air Conditioner was inadequate even in Colorado although temperature was in the high 80s. In Arizona, it is totally inadequate but using all vents, including defrost, it is tolerable when on max and rear system on. May look into darker tinting even on windshield after I check legal restrictions.
4. I know it is a personal thing, but HA is too jerky for my taste. Adaptive cruise was great but wish the final touches for Dreamdrive Pro get here soon. I see GM system is getting rave reviews so Lucid needs to step up their game soon. Spouse discovered the Lucid does not stop for cars stopped at a light like her Tesla so a fun braking experience for her and small heart attack for me.
5. Driver side wiper blade was adjusted by mobile service but travels over windshield trim so will need readjustment.
6. Lucid bottle or any bottle in holder inhibits access to panel controls.
7. Phone charger slot is a joke so resorted to usb cable charging.
We charged at Moab and showed 400+ miles for our remaining roughly 250-mile leg to Avon. We hit 4% about 20 miles out and we experience some real range anxiety, but we made it to EA charging station in Edwards with the car showing minus 11 miles remaining at arrival. Spouse was driving and did a superb job not killing me when we reached the charger. Not sure what precipitated the rapid drop but efficiency for that leg was only 3.2. Maybe altitude or the 80-85 mph she was driving.
All in all, Lucid is the ultimate tripper!!!!!

Awesome! Thanks for the EA charging experience details. I'm going to be on a trip through that general area as well in November and for that trip I am thinking about taking my GT-P instead of my X Plaid. I'll re-read your charging experience here in this post when I get closer to my trip time.

Your tire pressures should definitely be holding. Something is definitely wrong there. Was it all of them? You sure none have a slow leak?

My experience with fasteners embedded in a tire is that the tire may hold air OK in the garage, but when rolling releases air much more quickly. Rubber flexing around the fastener?

My experience with fasteners embedded in a tire is that the tire may hold air OK in the garage, but when rolling releases air much more quickly. Rubber flexing around the fastener?
Same. That’s why I’m concerned.

Same. That’s why I’m concerned.
Thanks for input. I will be checking them since all four tires lost air during the trip. Interestingly, on the return trip, the air pressure held steady plus/minus 1 lb

Just finished a R/T from Tucson to Avon, CO, which was about 1600 miles. 2022 Lucid Air GT with 19-inch wheels. EA charging was flawless in Show Low, AZ, Gallup, NM, Moab, UT & Edwards, CO. I cannot say enough about Moab EA charging station which has eight 350 stations with one pull thru station that was terrific. It is at Lions Park which is almost at the entrance to Arches National Park. There also is a Tesla Supercharger site close that has the universal setup. I was the only car present but even at 32% my max charge rate was 245.
Car was fantastic and handled the road with efficiency from 3.2 to 4.0 depending, of course, on speed and weather. Driver & passenger comfort is unreal. The seat adjustments, cooling and massage are awesome in reducing butt fatigue.
Things that bother me:
1. Tire pressures did not hold on rough New Mexico roads. I had to add air twice during the trip but had no noticeable tire damage. I have air compressor in frunk.
3. Air Conditioner was inadequate even in Colorado although temperature was in the high 80s. In Arizona, it is totally inadequate but using all vents, including defrost, it is tolerable when on max and rear system on. May look into darker tinting even on windshield after I check legal restrictions.
4. I know it is a personal thing, but HA is too jerky for my taste. Adaptive cruise was great but wish the final touches for Dreamdrive Pro get here soon. I see GM system is getting rave reviews so Lucid needs to step up their game soon. Spouse discovered the Lucid does not stop for cars stopped at a light like her Tesla so a fun braking experience for her and small heart attack for me.
5. Driver side wiper blade was adjusted by mobile service but travels over windshield trim so will need readjustment.
We charged at Moab and showed 400+ miles for our remaining roughly 250-mile leg to Avon. We hit 4% about 20 miles out and we experience some real range anxiety, but we made it to EA charging station in Edwards with the car showing minus 11 miles remaining at arrival. Spouse was driving and did a superb job not killing me when we reached the charger. Not sure what precipitated the rapid drop but efficiency for that leg was only 3.2. Maybe altitude or the 80-85 mph she was driving.
Ah you need the Twraps Mag charger. It functions as a nice shelf in addition to wireless charging phones way better than the Lucid charger. Probably my favorite after market thing I’ve got for the car. Also the Lucid sun shades do help with cabin temps, I’ve no longer had issues with cooling once I put those in. Cheap and easy to insert.

Ambient tempt could be a factor .
Going from Az to Calif, I routinely lose 2-3 psi after the first night.
Could be that on the way back to AZ, SubSailor didn't see any difference because they're getting into the three-digit temp zone.

regarding the A/C, I am in FLA, this time of year daytime temps are mid to high 90s and while it can take the car a bit of time to cool after sitting in the sun the A/C has been more than adequate for me. Pro tip, you need to turn on the rear AC manually in order to get and keep the cabin cool. why lucid chose to keep the rear AC off by default is beyond me. the whole cabin needs to be cooled in order to be comfortable.
as for your range concerns, my rule of thumb in this car is to deduct 20-25% of the range being reported by the guess o meter, more if driving in hilly terrain and your range decreases exponentially over 70+ MPH. if you are on a road trip and are concerned about the consumption you need to slow down!

regarding the A/C, I am in FLA, this time of year daytime temps are mid to high 90s and while it can take the car a bit of time to cool after sitting in the sun the A/C has been more than adequate for me. Pro tip, you need to turn on the rear AC manually in order to get and keep the cabin cool. why lucid chose to keep the rear AC off by default is beyond me. the whole cabin needs to be cooled in order to be comfortable.
as for your range concerns, my rule of thumb in this car is to deduct 20-25% of the range being reported by the guess o meter, more if driving in hilly terrain and your range decreases exponentially over 70+ MPH. if you are on a road trip and are concerned about the consumption you need to slow down!
If you tap the MAX button it should turn on front and rear AC at full blast.

ok, I don't always use the max, does the rear remain on after turning max off?
That, I'm not sure about. Likely not. I think it reads the seat pressure sensors and turns off rear cooling fairly aggressively.

Things that bother me:
Great observations! Love hearing about people taking their EVs on roadtrips because so many people are nervous about range anxiety or not finding a charger (although running your car to -11 miles would have killed me). Even though the charging infrastructure needs improvement, EV roadtrips are not impossible or even impractical. (But can be annoying at times 😅)

That, I'm not sure about. Likely not. I think it reads the seat pressure sensors and turns off rear cooling fairly aggressively.
that's my point, why? the entire cabin needs to be cooled for better comfort regardless of there being any rear passengers

Great observations! Love hearing about people taking their EVs on roadtrips because so many people are nervous about range anxiety or not finding a charger (although running your car to -11 miles would have killed me). Even though the charging infrastructure needs improvement, EV roadtrips are not impossible or even impractical. (But can be annoying at times 😅)
I have run EVs down to zero, in the Lucid turtle mode kicks on at 10 miles which for me is a PIA because am pretty good at mapping my stops and running the battery as low as possible. turtle mode can be dangerous if on a high speed highway.

Yikes! Your trip sounds like the ultimate tripper... for someone who really likes living on the edge! I share the earlier responses to you losing that much pressure in all four tires. I'm guessing your range problem is not too big a surprise, given typical temperatures coming out of Moab, the speed you were traveling, and the fact that Avon is about 3,400 feet higher elevation than Moab (Moab @ 4,026' and Avon @ 7,431'). That said... minus 11 miles on arrival??? I would have needed a change of underwear!

that's my point, why? the entire cabin needs to be cooled for better comfort regardless of there being any rear passengers
I think an over-developed sense of wanting to save battery? I agree, HVAC does not make enough of a dent in range for it to be the way it is. But at least they gave us Max mode. Originally we didn’t even have that.

If you are turn Max Mode off, presumably you don't need the Max AC anymore. The rear can then be set however you'd like.

Back