11 Lucid Airs for sale on EBay motors

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
I’m trying to find the rationale to this many brand new cars for sale and it seems to fall into two categories. Since there are two cars priced under retail and a few priced at or slightly above I would guess these are cars from people who have had a different expectation of EVs or felt the software or other incomplete systems too much trouble to be a beta tester for Lucid. The other 6 or so were individuals who hoped to make a profit on flipping the next big thing. I have a dealer friend who just took delivery of a Rivian to flip but is considering canceling his Lucid order as the profit incentive is just not enough to bother with. This is a little worrisome as Lucid keeps getting great reviews and write ups but the management/ delivery/ reliability/ incomplete software aspects of the car are depressing it’s real world desirability. You only get to make a first impression once so Lucid really need to get its act together.

Well, maybe it has something to do with this ...

I bought a used Lucid Air Dream Edition 058 last Friday July 22nd. As of today, July 27th, Lucid still has not associated my car with my Lucid App. I complied with their demands to prove that I bought the car. I even sent them a picture of it parked in front of my house at the address that they have on file! Lucid contacted the seller and confirmed that I am the rightful owner. Five days later -- zippo (the Illinois DMV, arguably the most inefficient organization on the planet, took about 45 minutes).

Because Lucid refuses to activate my car, none of the connected services work (although the car constantly asks me to set up the app, Alexa, etc.). At one point, I was in Pensacola, Florida (the seller's location) in 100 degree and 100% humidity and I could not even get the air conditioning to function because the car was hung up on the registration screen. The prior owner told me that the only way to reliably open the doors is with the app, but the app won't recognize my car. Because Lucid STILL has not changed the car's registration on their end! Eventually I think/hope I figured out the key fob problem on my own.

Each one of my customer service interactions has been more frustrating that the last. Not one of those people has said anything like "welcome to Lucid." Or "how do you like the car so far?" None of them has given any indication that they care -- AT ALL. I have told them several times that I want to meet with Mr. Rawlinson (I offered to go to Arizona to see him). They won't even acknowledge that request. So far, I am impressed with the car but my interactions with the company have made me seriously consider whether I made a big mistake.

I have bought a lot of reasonably serious cars. I sold my 2022 Mercedes EQS 580 at a significant loss to make room for the Lucid. Candidly, so far, the Lucid car itself is a superior car to the Mercedes by any measure. But Lucid's customer service / owner interaction has been so dismally poor that I am considering ditching it. Unfortunately, the market seems to be saturated by existing owners willing to sell below MSRP. By now, any competent organization would have contacted each of those people to find out why. Obviously, nine out of eleven of those owners are not trying to score a windfall profit. They just want OUT. There are only 520 Dream Editions in the World. How hard would it be for Lucid to make them happy?

What a dumpster fire.

Attachments

• 20220725_203338.jpg
    20220725_203338.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 144
Did you buy it from Jon Rettinger, sorry, just curious? I know he sold his Lucid DE last week and he has a black one...

Kind of crazy that Lucid is taking so long but I guess they need to make sure it is your car and that you won't control someone else's car?

I bought a used Lucid Air Dream Edition 058 last Friday July 22nd. As of today, July 27th, Lucid still has not associated my car with my Lucid App. I complied with their demands to prove that I bought the car. I even sent them a picture of it parked in front of my house at the address that they have on file! Lucid contacted the seller and confirmed that I am the rightful owner. Five days later -- zippo (the Illinois DMV, arguably the most inefficient organization on the planet, took about 45 minutes).

Because Lucid refuses to activate my car, none of the connected services work (although the car constantly asks me to set up the app, Alexa, etc.). At one point, I was in Pensacola, Florida (the seller's location) in 100 degree and 100% humidity and I could not even get the air conditioning to function because the car was hung up on the registration screen. The prior owner told me that the only way to reliably open the doors is with the app, but the app won't recognize my car. Because Lucid STILL has not changed the car's registration on their end! Eventually I think/hope I figured out the key fob problem on my own.

Each one of my customer service interactions has been more frustrating that the last. Not one of those people has said anything like "welcome to Lucid." Or "how do you like the car so far?" None of them has given any indication that they care -- AT ALL. I have told them several times that I want to meet with Mr. Rawlinson (I offered to go to Arizona to see him). They won't even acknowledge that request. So far, I am impressed with the car but my interactions with the company have made me seriously consider whether I made a big mistake.

I have bought a lot of reasonably serious cars. I sold my 2022 Mercedes EQS 580 at a significant loss to make room for the Lucid. Candidly, so far, the Lucid car itself is a superior car to the Mercedes by any measure. But Lucid's customer service / owner interaction has been so dismally poor that I am considering ditching it. Unfortunately, the market seems to be saturated by existing owners willing to sell below MSRP. By now, any competent organization would have contacted each of those people to find out why. Obviously, nine out of eleven of those owners are not trying to score a windfall profit. They just want OUT. There are only 520 Dream Editions in the World. How hard would it be for Lucid to make them happy?

What a dumpster fire.
No doubt, you are having a terrible customer experience. But just curious, did you really expect to get an in-person meeting with the CEO?

I’ve done my fair share of stern complaining at Apple customer service and have probably spent the equivalent of two Lucid Airs on their products over the years, but I know Tim Cook isn’t going to offer to have coffee with me anytime soon.

1658927986470.png

Did you buy it from Jon Rettinger, sorry, just curious? I know he sold his Lucid DE last week and he has a black one...

Kind of crazy that Lucid is taking so long but I guess they need to make sure it is your car and that you won't control someone else's car?
he mentioned florida, isnt jon in LA?

No doubt, you are having a terrible customer experience. But just curious, did you really expect to get an in-person meeting with the CEO?

I’ve done my fair share of stern complaining at Apple customer service and have probably spent the equivalent of two Lucid Airs on their products over the years, but I know Tim Cook isn’t going to offer to have coffee with me anytime soon.
can't tell if that part is troll or not. theyre really reaching and scratching the bottom of the complaint barrel if they believe that they should get a meeting with the CEO.

but his other complaints are valid. kinda crazy that it's taking so long to transfer everything over and to get things running.

he mentioned florida, isnt jon in LA?

can't tell if that part is troll or not. theyre really reaching and scratching the bottom of the complaint barrel if they believe that they should get a meeting with the CEO.

but his other complaints are valid. kinda crazy that it's taking so long to transfer everything over and to get things running.
Completely agree. I was genuinely curious what the expectation was. I’ve certainly done my share of asking for something I knew was unreasonable, just to elicit some sort of response from a company that is ignoring me.

Why not take it directly to a Service Center to get everything resolved onsite.......

Yes, I do expect Mr. Rawlinson to want to talk to me. There are only 520 Dream Edition cars in the WORLD. This thread started with an observation that eleven Dream Edition owners are selling their cars on Ebay. Rawlinson should make it a point to talk to each of them to find out why. And then he should follow up with the other 509 owners and make sure that they are not considering doing the same thing. Eleven relatively new $170,00 cars for sale on the secondary market in six months or less should be a "loose stool" moment for Lucid. Apple has a few more customers than Lucid, it is not a start-up, and its product does not cost as much as a starter home.

Lucid told me yesterday that they confirmed I am the owner. It was a silly excuse to begin with. That's not the problem. They say that they need time for their "process." I also asked them on Monday to cancel my existing Air GT order because I already have a Dream Edition. Crickets on that request too.

I was not aware that Rettinger sold his Lucid. Also not a good sign, but I watched his video, and it seems like he had good reasons. No, I do not think that "I am kind of a big deal." But to Lucid I should be. If my math is correct, my car represents about 2% of Lucid's total delivered sales revenue in 2021? Try buying an expensive Mercedes, or a Ferrari or a Bentley. Those companies at least try to make you feel like their most important customer. Buy a Ferrari and I guarantee you will be contacted by the CEO. You can have the best product in the world and still fail if you don't treat each customer like they are important. If you think that my request to talk to Mr. Rawlinson is outlandish, so be it.

What service center? Keep in mind that so far, Lucid has not communicated any useful information to me including nothing about obtaining service. If the car breaks right now, I have zero way to get it fixed. I do not have an assigned service advisor. I cannot access the app. I am not receiving updates (my car is on 1.2.50). Until someone at Lucid updates the record for my car, it is if I do not exist.

Yes, I do expect Mr. Rawlinson to want to talk to me. There are only 520 Dream Edition cars in the WORLD. This thread started with an observation that eleven Dream Edition owners are selling their cars on Ebay. Rawlinson should make it a point to talk to each of them to find out why. And then he should follow up with the other 509 owners and make sure that they are not considering doing the same thing. Eleven relatively new $170,00 cars for sale on the secondary market in six months or less should be a "loose stool" moment for Lucid. Apple has a few more customers than Lucid, it is not a start-up, and its product does not cost as much as a starter home.

Lucid told me yesterday that they confirmed I am the owner. It was a silly excuse to begin with. That's not the problem. They say that they need time for their "process." I also asked them on Monday to cancel my existing Air GT order because I already have a Dream Edition. Crickets on that request too.

I was not aware that Rettinger sold his Lucid. Also not a good sign, but I watched his video, and it seems like he had good reasons. No, I do not think that "I am kind of a big deal." But to Lucid I should be. If my math is correct, my car represents about 2% of Lucid's total delivered sales revenue in 2021? Try buying an expensive Mercedes, or a Ferrari or a Bentley. Those companies at least try to make you feel like their most important customer. Buy a Ferrari and I guarantee you will be contacted by the CEO. You can have the best product in the world and still fail if you don't treat each customer like they are important. If you think that my request to talk to Mr. Rawlinson is outlandish, so be it.

There is a concept in contract law called "privity". That essentially means that two parties have agreed to certain terms. As a buyer of a used car, you have no privity of contract with Lucid. Yes...you have a warranty but that is it.

Lucid will likely prioritize its efforts to its customers. You are a customer of the original buyer.

I believe your expectations are unreasonable. You should sell the car and try another brand.

There are videos online of Jay Leno talking about why he'll never own a Ferrari. Trust me, they treat their customers way worse than Lucid. And like @Steveinarizona said, you aren't technically Lucid's customer.

But like I said, I am not arguing Lucid has not mishandled this. It should be relatively easy to change ownership from one customer to another. Cars get sold all the time, and in the modern era, that unfortunately requires the company to be proactive because of log ins, accounts, etc. But like so many things with Lucid, they seem to have not established a process for this yet. They have only been delivering cars to customers for less than a year, and my guess is this caught them off guard a bit. Not an excuse, just an observation.

I can totally see why Lucid is more focused on delivering Grand Tourings at the moment than dealing with people who buy from their customers. If it took a day or two to change over ownership, I'd say that was to be expected. But you have had to spend way too much time and effort on this, for sure.

As far as Dreams getting sold goes, in today's economy, it's quite common for people to buy things that are in short supply in hopes to flip them for a profit. Have you ever seen the line at an Apple Store in New York on iPhone release day? The majority of those customers are buying phones to resell immediately on the grey market.

I'd be surprised if more than a few Dream Edition owners never planned on holding on to the vehicle. (All the more reason for Lucid to have anticipated this.)

Tesla lets you release a car from your account online and by the phone app. Once done, the new owner is free to claim it by VIN.

There is a concept in contract law called "privity". That essentially means that two parties have agreed to certain terms. As a buyer of a used car, you have no privity of contract with Lucid. Yes...you have a warranty but that is it.

Lucid will likely prioritize its efforts to its customers. You are a customer of the original buyer.

I believe your expectations are unreasonable. You should sell the car and try another brand.

Well, that certainly seems to be Lucid's view too. Thanks for the definition of "privity," by the way. I have been practicing law for more than thirty years. Of course, my dissatisfaction with Lucid and my observations have nothing whatsoever to do with contractual privity. When did I say anything about Lucid breaching a contract?

Which model did you buy? Are you an original owner? Have you had a different experience? If anyone has a service advisor that has been helpful and is willing to share that person's contact information, I would appreciate the help.

What a dumpster fire.
I'm certainly sorry to hear of your frustrations. I read the other comments thus far and come back to agreeing with nearly all of your concerns about why Lucid should be prioritizing customer service for ALL owners of cars, at this stage of it nascency! Maybe the CEO meeting an over reach but all the other things are not my experience but feel bad that they are yours! I hope Lucid gets it right!

Tesla lets you release a car from your account online and by the phone app. Once done, the new owner is free to claim it by VIN.
Ha! Took 6 months for Tesla to release my Lease from it after I bought it out. Then another 6 months for them to release the DMV pink slip. Go ahead and contact Tesla Finance! The worst!

What service center? Keep in mind that so far, Lucid has not communicated any useful information to me including nothing about obtaining service. If the car breaks right now, I have zero way to get it fixed. I do not have an assigned service advisor. I cannot access the app. I am not receiving updates (my car is on 1.2.50). Until someone at Lucid updates the record for my car, it is if I do not exist.
What area are you in? Where is the closest service center to you?

If you're in the Chicago area, the Goose Island center is one of the biggest in the country. The other option is the Oak Brook design center where they might help you in person.

Your expectations seem out of whack. Do you really think Rawlinson has the time of day to be speaking to disgruntled owners when he's got a company to run? Would you expect a call from Mark Zuckerberg if you had an issue with your facebook login? Google Lucid Service Centers and you'll find where they are. Did you really expect Lucid to know that a previous customer sold the car to you and then you expect them to know it's sold, call you, pull out the red carpet and welcome you with open arms?

The transfer seems out of whack but i'm sure if you located your nearest Service Center using Google Maps just like you would when looking for any other business then you could navigate your way over Lucid, explain what's happened onsite and get it all rectified at the Service Center.

Back