10+ hours Locked out of My Lucid

ChiTown24

I’ll start by admitting I created this situation by leaving my fob in the car (an old Telsa habit) and forgetting to remove my phone when I exited the vehicle. However, I was a bit surprised Lucid Customer Care did not have a few more methods to help me out. Here’s what happened and I’m including a lot of detail since this is an owner’s forum and details can matter…

I have a second home about 350 miles away from where I live. I was able to travel there without stopping on a single full charge. This was great. I arrived at about 9pm, pulled into the garage, exited the vehicle, and plugged the charging cord into the wall outlet. A few minutes later I realized I must have left my phone in the car. I did. The car had self-locked. The car did not recognize the fob inside, which I had left in the compartment with the cup holders. Therefore, it would not unlock when I pushed on the door handles. Additionally, I could not unlock the car with the app since my phone was locked inside the car.

Luckly, I had my laptop with me and was able to text Lucid Customer Care. They said they would send codes to unlock the car. After this text exchange I checked to see if the car was unlocked, and it wasn’t. I texted back and was told to press many times on the driver-side door handle, and it should open. During this process –– remember the car was charging and I could not remove the plug because the car was locked —— the car shut down and went into a deep sleep mode. I had read that this sometimes happens during charging. Then, customer service informed me the car had went offline and they could not do anything more for me and I would just have to wait until the car ‘woke up’ on its own. I asked how long that would be and was informed it could be a few hours. I then asked if there was any other manual method to wake up the car. I did not get a reply. I then unplugged and plugged back in the power cord from the wall outlet a few times hoping this would wake the car up and it didn’t. Apparently, the battery system doesn’t communicate with the driving system during charging in a way that, if interrupted, would wake up the car.

Six hours later at 3am, in desperation, I rocked the car thinking I might be able to jiggle the fob into a position in which the car would then recognize the fob. All this did was set off the car’s alarm. Not being sure how to stop the alarm I unplugged the charging cord from the wall. That did the trick. I then plugged the cord back into the wall and I could hear the car begin charging again. Ten hours after the lockout at 7am, I texted Lucid Customer Care for help and got no reply. I was on my own. Again, in desperation, I used the Find My Phone feature from my laptop to send a sound to my iPhone thinking it might cause the car to wake up. I knew this was highly unlikely and it did not work. However, once the car completed its charging a few minutes later, the door handles opened on their own, and I had access to the interior of the car again.

So, I was locked out for more than 10 hours and the only reason I believe the vehicle woke up was because the car had finished charging. I’m not sure if the car would have gone into deep sleep if I hadn’t been charging it or if Customer Care inadvertently put it to sleep when they sent the unlock codes. This is all a mystery.

A few things to note. I do not appreciate being ghosted by Lucid Customer Care. If they don’t know what else to tell me then tell me that. When asleep the car goes offline and cannot be serviced remotely. Lucid should devise a method to wake up the car manually without the need for a key fob, key card, or the app. Not having those items available can happen and it happened to me. I will no longer leave my key fob in the car when I am not using the car. Lesson learned. (In my defense I used to do this all of the time with my last two Tesla Model S vehicles and the car always recognized the fob left inside.) I will also carry the Lucid key card in my wallet. It seems odd that I need to carry a fob, app, and card to insure I can gain access to the inside of my vehicle. That said, I do like the self-locking system and enjoy not having to remember to lock my car manually. I guess this is the price for that feature.

Hope no one else needs to deal with this issue. Fortunately, I was in a safe place when this happened. I found being without my phone and not knowing how and when I would get access to my vehicle again to be stressful. I usually don’t need much handholding but a little more communication from Lucid would have been appreciated too.

I will also carry the Lucid key card in my wallet.
I recently went from always carrying my car's fob to leaving it home and using the digital key (my Iphone). But I don't entirely trust the phone to work. So I took the key card and tested it (left phone and fob in the house far away from the garage). I had left the car off and locked. I walked in and could not open the doors (good) without using the key card. I then took out the key card and used it per the directions and it worked. Then I put it in an RFID sleeve and put that in my wallet.

The only difference, and there might not be one as you might have just skipped mentioning it, is testing the key card first. So far I have not had to use the key card.

I just carry the fob when driving and always have the card in my wallet. Simple enough.

I always carry the valet card in my wallet. It’s thin and you never know when you will need it.

Thanks for sharing though. Good reminder.

I recently went from always carrying my car's fob to leaving it home and using the digital key (my Iphone). But I don't entirely trust the phone to work. So I took the key card and tested it (left phone and fob in the house far away from the garage). I had left the car off and locked. I walked in and could not open the doors (good) without using the key card. I then took out the key card and used it per the directions and it worked. Then I put it in an RFID sleeve and put that in my wallet.

The only difference, and there might not be one as you might have just skipped mentioning it, is testing the key card first. So far I have not had to use the key card.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. Very helpful!

Why doesn’t the car recognize that the phone key and/or the fob are in the car and not lock it? My cars have done that for the last 20 years with keyless entry - when the fob is inside it won’t lock. Seems like a simple fix.

Damn, that situation must’ve caused some unnecessary stress. Glad you finally got into the car eventually.

Two points:

1). Always carry the valet car in your wallet. I never use the fob anymore and rely solely on my phone but still carry the valet card for “just in case” moments.

2). Another option in the near future with iOS 18 and MacOS Sequoia is being able to log into your phone from MacOS. It will bring up your phone screen on the laptop and in a desperate situation could open the Lucid App that way.

Best option though, always carry the valet card. :)

Damn, that situation must’ve caused some unnecessary stress. Glad you finally got into the car eventually.

Two points:

1). Always carry the valet car in your wallet. I never use the fob anymore and rely solely on my phone but still carry the valet card for “just in case” moments.

2). Another option in the near future with iOS 18 and MacOS Sequoia is being able to log into your phone from MacOS. It will bring up your phone screen on the laptop and in a desperate situation could open the Lucid App that way.

Great ideas. Thank you!

Why doesn’t the car recognize that the phone key and/or the fob are in the car and not lock it? My cars have done that for the last 20 years with keyless entry - when the fob is inside it won’t lock. Seems like a simple fix.
No sure. Agree. Thx for your reply.

Two points:

It's the key card

Another vote for key card here. I don't bring the fob with me at all, it's 100% unnecessary IMO to have mobile key, a fob, and the key card.

I have had a few cases at home where phone was moved around in the house enough to trigger the proximity unlock feature and power up the car, only to then presumably shutdown after a while as a false alarm. I would then walk to the car and it wouldn't respond. The key card has been awesome in these cases (assuming I have the root cause right).

That isn't what caused me to start carrying the key card, mind you, that happened a while before when I realized that a) I might lose my phone, or b) my phone might run out of batteries.

The key card is behind my license in my wallet. I can hold the wallet up to the appropriate spot and the doors unlock instantly, regardless of issues with mobile key or the app at the time (which have been few and far between and only seem to be associated with being at home and having the phone too close to the car for long periods of time).

I have had a few cases at home where phone was moved around in the house enough to trigger the proximity unlock feature and power up the car, only to then presumably shutdown after a while as a false alarm. I would then walk to the car and it wouldn't respond.
Just FYI, you don't need to use the keycard for this; you can just push in the door handle, and It will unlock.

But you're right; if it unlocks and relocks a certain number of times without you getting in, it will turn off passive unlock temporarily. To unlock the car then, you can just push in the handle, press the button on the fob (or phone, I suppose), or use the keycard (as that's "never" going to be a false positive, since it requires extremely close proximity).

I've honestly had to use the keycard a few times thanks to my phone app not responding at all so I'm happy the card was provided and I don't leave home without it. ON roadtrips I leave 1 fob wrapped in aluminum in my pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing for added security and the other fob is what my husband has. I also now keep spare fob batteries with my luggage since they go out so often!

I’ll start by admitting I created this situation by leaving my fob in the car (an old Telsa habit) and forgetting to remove my phone when I exited the vehicle. However, I was a bit surprised Lucid Customer Care did not have a few more methods to help me out. Here’s what happened and I’m including a lot of detail since this is an owner’s forum and details can matter…

I have a second home about 350 miles away from where I live. I was able to travel there without stopping on a single full charge. This was great. I arrived at about 9pm, pulled into the garage, exited the vehicle, and plugged the charging cord into the wall outlet. A few minutes later I realized I must have left my phone in the car. I did. The car had self-locked. The car did not recognize the fob inside, which I had left in the compartment with the cup holders. Therefore, it would not unlock when I pushed on the door handles. Additionally, I could not unlock the car with the app since my phone was locked inside the car.

Luckly, I had my laptop with me and was able to text Lucid Customer Care. They said they would send codes to unlock the car. After this text exchange I checked to see if the car was unlocked, and it wasn’t. I texted back and was told to press many times on the driver-side door handle, and it should open. During this process –– remember the car was charging and I could not remove the plug because the car was locked —— the car shut down and went into a deep sleep mode. I had read that this sometimes happens during charging. Then, customer service informed me the car had went offline and they could not do anything more for me and I would just have to wait until the car ‘woke up’ on its own. I asked how long that would be and was informed it could be a few hours. I then asked if there was any other manual method to wake up the car. I did not get a reply. I then unplugged and plugged back in the power cord from the wall outlet a few times hoping this would wake the car up and it didn’t. Apparently, the battery system doesn’t communicate with the driving system during charging in a way that, if interrupted, would wake up the car.

Six hours later at 3am, in desperation, I rocked the car thinking I might be able to jiggle the fob into a position in which the car would then recognize the fob. All this did was set off the car’s alarm. Not being sure how to stop the alarm I unplugged the charging cord from the wall. That did the trick. I then plugged the cord back into the wall and I could hear the car begin charging again. Ten hours after the lockout at 7am, I texted Lucid Customer Care for help and got no reply. I was on my own. Again, in desperation, I used the Find My Phone feature from my laptop to send a sound to my iPhone thinking it might cause the car to wake up. I knew this was highly unlikely and it did not work. However, once the car completed its charging a few minutes later, the door handles opened on their own, and I had access to the interior of the car again.

So, I was locked out for more than 10 hours and the only reason I believe the vehicle woke up was because the car had finished charging. I’m not sure if the car would have gone into deep sleep if I hadn’t been charging it or if Customer Care inadvertently put it to sleep when they sent the unlock codes. This is all a mystery.

A few things to note. I do not appreciate being ghosted by Lucid Customer Care. If they don’t know what else to tell me then tell me that. When asleep the car goes offline and cannot be serviced remotely. Lucid should devise a method to wake up the car manually without the need for a key fob, key card, or the app. Not having those items available can happen and it happened to me. I will no longer leave my key fob in the car when I am not using the car. Lesson learned. (In my defense I used to do this all of the time with my last two Tesla Model S vehicles and the car always recognized the fob left inside.) I will also carry the Lucid key card in my wallet. It seems odd that I need to carry a fob, app, and card to insure I can gain access to the inside of my vehicle. That said, I do like the self-locking system and enjoy not having to remember to lock my car manually. I guess this is the price for that feature.

Hope no one else needs to deal with this issue. Fortunately, I was in a safe place when this happened. I found being without my phone and not knowing how and when I would get access to my vehicle again to be stressful. I usually don’t need much handholding but a little more communication from Lucid would have been appreciated too.
The vehcile sleeps for too long anygiven time. It is not easy to wake it up with the phone app or pressing the handle door as recommended.
im sending in the vehicle for servicing to see if this issue can be fixed. Unfortunate for an expensive vehicle like lucid basic functionality has been neglected.
Agree , with tesla the process is seemless.

I have left my key fob in the car a few times, I found if you push in the door handle with the key fob in the car the car unlocks.
With that info you don't want to the leave the car on the street with the key fob in the car.

Remember as posted many times in the past… the cup holders are a “dead zone” as far as the fob is concerned .

Got myself locked out for the first time this weekend, 100% my fault. Left the house with 17% battery on phone, drove to local hiking spot, went for 3.5 mile trail run/hike, phone died about 2 mins prior to end of hike. Got to car, realized quickly that I was hosed. Wallet with key card was, of course, in the car.

Jogged home (2.5 miles), something I didn't think I had in me, but the urge to get home was strong. Absolutely awful execution, poor planning on the phone charge, no back up, zero hydration that morning other than iced coffee. Was balancing energy burn rate to get home quickly, but not topple over from dehydration and had to stave off cramping, took one well timed walking break at the 2/3's mark for 2-3 minutes to keep things together, then managed to run home the rest of the way. I did flag down another walker early in the run home to request assistance but she didn't have a phone on her.

Laughed a little bit as I jogged past the hospital in our town, figured at least it would be a quick ride if things ended poorly!

Lesson learned, get better about charging phone, and/or carry the key card on hikes.

Jogged home (2.5 miles), something I didn't think I had in me, but the urge to get home was strong. Absolutely awful execution, poor planning on the phone charge, no back up, zero hydration that morning other than iced coffee. Was balancing energy burn rate to get home quickly, but not topple over from dehydration and had to stave off cramping, took one well timed walking break at the 2/3's mark for 2-3 minutes to keep things together, then managed to run home the rest of the way. I did flag down another walker early in the run home to request assistance but she didn't have a phone on her.
This is why we need payphones again

Back